• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

International Air Power Review contents (plus whatever happened to Aerospace Publishing?)

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
I wish they and World Air Power Journal / Classic Wings had not gone out of business. Have many issues but not nearly as many as I'd like.

FighterJock

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I wish they and World Air Power Journal / Classic Wings had not gone out of business. Have many issues but not nearly as many as I'd like.
I used to get World Air Power Journal for years, I did not like it when they went out of business, What was the reason that they went under?

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
I used to get World Air Power Journal for years, I did not like it when they went out of business, What was the reason that they went under?
No idea. They had great books too. Gulf Air War Debrief is one of my favorite.

gatoraptor

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Their companion volumes on the Vietnam air war and the F-14 Tomcat were both super as well.

FighterJock

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
I had Gulf War Debrief as well sferrin, it was well read.

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Strangely enough the whole story of what happened to Aerospace Publishing is online:

A flood destroyed large parts of their archive, which was comprised of William Green's Pilot Press collection, W J R Taylor's collection, and much more.

The majority of their income came from their partworks. Putting together these quickly and cheaply was facilitated by the use of the archive, which covered a vast amount of photos and comissioned artwork. Losing the archive destroyed their business model - they didn't have the artwork and photos and obtaining them from elsewhere was costly and slow.

WAPJ and Wings of Fame were effectively a vanity project for Mr Morse, costly and time-consuming to put together, and not very profitable.

Incidentally, I can attest to the awesomeness of their archive, having worked in it for a couple of weeks back in the 1990s. Stan Morse was a nice guy too.

Last edited:

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
The photo collection, while extensive, is less of a loss to than the commissioned artwork, as it was partly comprised of photos obtained from company PR, trade shows and the like where there is a reasonable likelihood someone somewhere has another copy. The commissioned artwork, cutaways etc from the Pilot Press collection are kind of irreplaceable.