India's 5th generation fighter programme - from MCA to AMCA

It seems that the amca would be one of the best in the world in TWR if the 125KN engine report is true.
AMCA's Mtow is 25 t which means it would have a TWR 1 in MTOW .I dont believe any plane in the world have that.
but i suspect the MTOW to be increased to 27-28t with the 125KN engine

Last edited:
SO....
EOTS is confirmed it seems and it will be in flight tests soon on a testbed.

Attachments

• image_2022-03-04_173118.png
    image_2022-03-04_173118.png
    156.1 KB · Views: 197
  • FNBqyABVUAM8dra.jpg
    FNBqyABVUAM8dra.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 180
Got a new image for the amca
i calculated the bay length
it is to be around 4 m.

which means probably can carry most AA missiles and bombs.(astra,meteor ,saaw ,asraam,lgb and high speed low drag bombs)
NASM sr ,NASM mr ,Kh35 cruise missiles probably can fit in it
and maybe even the cats hunter

Attachments

• FM_BLgeaUAEFqmF.jpg
    FM_BLgeaUAEFqmF.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 176
Based on the design by ADA & DRDO, the fabrication of Leading edge of AMCA initiated at HAL with special material for 5th gen design. The unit will undergo structural & other testing before putting it on the first prototype. An imp milestone for AMCA
-DRDO TWITTER

so..................
CDR actually haven't finished but they are proceeding to proto and testing(it was reported CDR will be completed in 2nd half of 2022)
This makes me believe they are trying to finish the airframe(ig CDR done for it) and internals after the full CDR?

ur guys opinions................

Last edited:
Yeah.. What the heck has happened?! Looking closely, it's a delta wing and not a trapezoidal one. The nose cone has less volume and is more pointy. The engines side looks it doesn't host something as big as an f-135 but a twin set of engine (see auxiliary inlet duct, right on the aircraft symetry plan). The cockpit is remarkably different.

So did AMCA mutated into that rather glorious looking butterfly (see earlier images scrolling up)?!

IMG_20220716_130035.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah.. What the heck has happened?! Looking closely, it's a delta wing and not a trapezoidal one. The nose cone has less volume and is more pointy. The engines side looks it doesn't host something as big as an f-135 but a twin set of engine (see auxiliary inlet duct, right on the aircraft symetry plan). The cockpit is remarkably different.

So did AMCA mutated into that rather glorious looking butterfly (see earlier images scrolling up)?!

View attachment 681148

Did AMCA go through a re-design or what?

Uhhh, its always going to be powered by 2× F414 (or something similar in size). Never heard it going to have single F135 sized engine

View attachment 681148
it always looked the same
FM_BLgeaUAEFqmF.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Look closely. The tail plane arrangement differs, the wing shape was altered, the nose beak is nimbler...

I am not saying that everything has changed... But yes, a lot of modifications were done.

Look closely. The tail plane arrangement differs, the wing shape was altered, the nose beak is nimbler...

I am not saying that everything has changed... But yes, a lot of modifications were done.

I think the problem is, that during the last years so many different models were published - including some rather crude ones at the latest Aero India - that it is not certain, which one is the current one. I remember I‘ve seen a quite recent wind-tunnel model in a video … will look if I find it again.

View attachment 681148
Yeah.. What the heck has happened?! [...]

Did AMCA go through a re-design or what?
I'm not sure of which iteration of the design, published when you are comparing to, but talking about what I know, there was a significant re-design of the aircraft in the second half of 2020. Current design which strongly resembles of F-35 is a result of that. Since the previous design was a result of modification and optimization of model 3B-09 from 2013, it makes sense to expect further design changes after the big shift from 2020, ditching a lot of those design works for the current model.

Going even further back in time, just after they've revealed that model from 2009 (posted by Overscan), the MCA, they've restructured the program to AMCA, with increased MTOW of 25t in 2010. Their development plan after the restructuring was to first build a technology demonstrator aircraft called the NGTD. NGTD was supposed to be rolled out in 2021 but that plan was scrapped in late 2010s~2020 period. So there were at least 3 instances of big restructuring and re-designing of the aircraft in the history of AMCA.

It's funny that they have crescent like stabilizers. It's probably going to be a mess to handle the symetry at high alpha (see F-15 original design that didn't have dog tooth on it).

Last edited:
Some updates :
Speaking to Janes at the Aero India 2023 show being held in Bangalore from 13 to 17 February, the project official said that the aircraft's 16 primary systems have completed the CDR. “This will allow us to complete the platform-level critical design review of the AMCA in one to two months,” the project official with India's Aeronautical Development Agency (ADA) said.
The Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) has approached the Cabinet Committee on Security (CCS), chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi, for approval of twin-engine advanced medium combat aircraft (AMCA) after the design of the fifth-generation stealth fighter has been frozen by the Aeronautical Development Authority. The first prototype of GE-414 powered AMCA is expected to roll out by 2026.
The CCS clearance for the over RS 15,000 crore project to build the fifht-generation advanced medium combat aircraft, with stealth features as well as 'supercurise' capabilities, in turn, "will follow withing the next few months". the sources added.

These articles are months old by now, and it seems like CDR of the aircraft was completed by April earlier this year. Currently, they are only waiting for a committee aproval for the budget allocation. Though, it really is an absolute bargain that they are only requesting 15,000 cr, which is like $1.8~2 billion depending on the exchange rate, from conclusion of CDR to prototype manufacturing, especially considering that this 15,000 cr budget includes the manufacturing of 4 prototypes. I guess that's just how cheap things are in India.

Roll-out by mid 2026 and maiden flight by late 2027 is their current schedule they say, but I think there's always a possibility for a delay if CCS doesn't approve in time.