Ikarus 452 M

hole in the ground

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently stumbled upon this aircraft here http://minijets.org/palas_ik452m.php. It piqued my interest but there is frustratingly; little information on it, few photos and a handful of poor quality and different 3 views. I have found no evidence that it even flew as of yet! And no recent photos so was it scrapped before it took off? Wiki( ::) ) suggests that data and experience gained on this project was used to help them on the Soko G-2 Galeb.

The first from the original page at first glance looks good but there are some obvious errors, it doesnt have enough 'belly' the canopy stands a bit too proud from the fuselage and is not a complete 'bubble' and the ventral fin is far too big.
ik452m04.jpg

The largest graphic I have found is this, which has gifted the 452 with a crank wing!
65870_41096219_Ikarus%20452M.JPG

The best 3 view I have is from the same website and is a page of a 'Janes' someone posted
32770_66210178_348-2.jpg

So my question to you is does anyone have any more information/images/details of this interesting looking little aircraft?

Cheers

(this is my first new topic so I hope it is in the right place and of the correct material, I have done a forum search and found no results but that may have been poor technique)

From FliegerRevue 7/1978 the following informations:
"The development of this type began in the early '50s in the Ikarus factories near Belgrad.
It was a single seat jet aircraft with swept wings with a span of 5,20m only and 5,95m
length. After the T-451 it was the second jet aircraft to be developed in Yugoslavia. The
first of two prototypes had its maiden flight on 24th July 1953. The 452M was seen as a
predesign to a ground attack, which was planned to be used as high speed recconnaissance
aircraft, too. The small dimensions were the results of military and eccomical demands.
The full metal aircraft had a swept twin-boom tail attached to the center wing. The tailplane
was further attached to the fuselage with a fin. The two Turboméca Palas engines with
1,6kN thrust each were installed one above the other in the rear fuselage. The intakes of the
lower engine were positioned in the wing roots, those of the upper engine behind the cockpit.

additional data:
max.speed 765 km/h, MTOW 1060 kg"

The 3-view shows not a bubble canopy, maybe it's the second prototype ? Seems to be fitted
with fourinstead of two guns. The photo seems to be the same s fom Jane's but heavily retouched.
As I understand , the 452M wasn't intended as a service type, maybe a little bit strange that was
fitted with armament.

Attachments

• Ikarus-452M_04.GIF
    Ikarus-452M_04.GIF
    63.6 KB · Views: 196
  • Ikarus-452M_05.jpg
    Ikarus-452M_05.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 149
P 453 info
From "YASIG" 2002 Newsletter 34

Attachments

• Escanear0001.jpg
    Escanear0001.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 168
  • Escanear0003.jpg
    Escanear0003.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 160
  • Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 177
Thank you very much chaps :)

Jembia, the side elevation pn your three view is interesting, it seems to have lost the horizontal stagger of the engines... possibly you are right in that it is s slightly modified second prototype.
Jembia, i am not sure whether it was fitted with armament either. I think there may be some confusion in some of the drawings between the position of a pitot device on the lower port side of the nose and gun ports. Have a look at the photo of the aircraft and then where the artists have gifted gun ports?
As a side note i would envisage there being some interesting gas ingestion effects from the higher pair of guns, those ports are smack between the lines of intakes

Justo, i had come across a single photo of a model of that aircraft hanging in a museum somewhere, i was trying to work out what power plant it had ::) but it makes more sense now as a glider.

cheers

Well, thanks for showing us the 453, Justo, still yet, the only aircraft with M-wing
I knew, were those Armstrong Witworth designs. ;)

About the gunports and second prototype of the 452M : All photos we've seen here so far,
seem to show the first prototype. And discrepencies already are beginning at the point, when
the 452 is called just a research type in some sources, but a ground attack aircraft in others.
And in the mentioned FR it even is called both !
And after a closer look again at the FR 3-view, I'm quite uncertain. On the photo in the same
issue, the rear part of the canopy is very dark, compared to the forward part, the stagger of
the jet engines isn't readily obvious and the "gun ports" may well have been a misinterpretation
of the scoops on the nose.
Never believe in 3-views, you didn't manipulate by yourself ! ;D

Jemiba said:
Well, thanks for showing us the 453, Justo, still yet, the only aircraft with M-wing
I knew, were those Armstrong Witworth designs. ;)

About the gunports and second prototype of the 452M : All photos we've seen here so far,
seem to show the first prototype. And discrepencies already are beginning at the point, when
the 452 is called just a research type in some sources, but a ground attack aircraft in others.
And in the mentioned FR it even is called both !
And after a closer look again at the FR 3-view, I'm quite uncertain. On the photo in the same
issue, the rear part of the canopy is very dark, compared to the forward part, the stagger of
the jet engines isn't readily obvious and the "gun ports" may well have been a misinterpretation
of the scoops on the nose.
Never believe in 3-views, you didn't manipulate by yourself ! ;D

Please see http://www.largescaleplanes.com/preview/Aeropoxy/453MW/453MW.html
and email Nenad Miklusev for more info...

Looks interesting, apart from that little joke in the walkaround section :
"Fieseler Fi-156 with BMW radial" ... ;D

"isn't it really a Morane Saulnier Criquet"

of course, but it probably was just intended as a test ... ;)

Only one 452-2 was built and it had an accident due to engine failure, the pilot was hurt but he survived. Some other versions of 452 with the same configuration were planed, like 452-3 (3 engines instead of 2) or 452M (construction bigger for 8%).

452-2 was called the "experimental light interceptor" but instead it was just a flying model of one.

From "Strahltrainer" (Jettrainer) by K.-H.Eyermann a 4-view of the S-451 and the
following description (translated):
Light single seat trainer, develoed between 1950 and 1952 by a design group under the
leadership of Dragoljub Beslin . The S-451M was based on the on the experimental type
451, which was powered by two Walter Minor 6-III piston engines and was the first yugoslavian
jet aircraft. Test flying started at the end of 1952. The first prototype (shown in the drawing)
carried a 20mm gun in a fairing under the nose and 6 unguided air-to-ground rockets under the
wings, the other prototypess of this type were unarmed and got the designations S-451M "Zolja",
J-41MM and T-451MM. The "Zolja" (Wasp) was the worlds smallest jet aircraft of its time. After
service evaluation plan for series production were cancelled and the prototypes were used for
scientific flight tests.
data: Two Turboméca Palas 056A with150 kp each. span 6,75m, length 6,80m, height 2,31m,
wing area 8,05sqm, take-off weight 1054 kg, MTOW 1202 kg, max.speed. 459 kmh, minimum
speed 153 km/h, max. altitude 8550m, range 390km, take-off distance (crossing a 15m obstacle)
600m, landing distance from 15m altitude 582m.

Attachments

• S-451.JPG
    S-451.JPG
    19.2 KB · Views: 149
Two photos of the Ikarus T-451MM and the 451M, now on exhibition in the
Serbian aviation museum near the Belgrad airport.
(From Flieger Kalender 2011)

Attachments

• Ikarus-451M.jpg
    Ikarus-451M.jpg
    162.3 KB · Views: 409
  • Ikarus_T-451MM.jpg
    Ikarus_T-451MM.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 456
Here's a bunch of Ikarus 452M photos from various ex-yu forums:

This is the link for the first floor of the Belgrade's Aircraft museum, clicking on a plane silhouette will take you to more info&pics of the craft(you'll have to use google translate)
http://www.muzejrv.mod.gov.rs/pages_files/parter_files/parter.html

For Ikarus 451M:
http://www.muzejrv.mod.gov.rs/pages_files/parter_files/partexpo/451m_files/451m.html

For Ikarus 451MM Stršljen (Hornet):
http://www.muzejrv.mod.gov.rs/pages_files/parter_files/partexpo/451mm_files/451mm.html

Attachments

• Ikarus S451M.jpg
    Ikarus S451M.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 367
  • Ikarus S451M[2].jpg
    Ikarus S451M[2].jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 351
  • Ikarus S451M[3].jpg
    Ikarus S451M[3].jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 327
  • Ikarus S451M[4].jpg
    Ikarus S451M[4].jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 64
  • Ikarus S451M[5].jpg
    Ikarus S451M[5].jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 70
  • s451-1.gif
    s451-1.gif
    70.1 KB · Views: 112
  • s451-1.jpg
    s451-1.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 107
Jemiba said:
Looks interesting, apart from that little joke in the walkaround section :
"Fieseler Fi-156 with BMW radial" ... ;D

It is a bit odd since this is the smallest military jet aircraft ever to be fitted with 2 cannons. Both in size and output.

Still moves 765 km/t..faster than P-51D Mustang and 135 ( 150 ? ) km faster than Citation Mustang bizjet with 10 kN more thrust ( 4 times more ).

http://forum.worldofwarplanes.com/index.php?/topic/2048-ikarus-452-m/

Ready....!

Cutaway Gov. Ikarus 452M, the small yugoslavian twin jet, author Motocar in free interpretation

Attachments

• Cutaway Ikarus 452.jpg
    Cutaway Ikarus 452.jpg
    441 KB · Views: 114