IJA engineer Naruo Ando's original designs (blueprints)

blackkite

Don't laugh, don't cry, don't even curse, but.....
Reaction score
Hi! The planner of these fighters Naruo Ando(the IJA's engineer of the No.1 IJA aviation technology research institute) published the book, "The story of IJA's aircrafts plan(日本陸軍機の計画物語)".(Aviation Journal 1980)
According to this book, these fighters had Nakajima's air cooling NK9(Homare) engine(Ki-84's engine).
A plan's engine was located middle of the fuselage, B plan's engine was located front of the fuselage.
Engine cooling methods were not detail studied.Of course these plans needed additional air inlets for engine supply air, engine cooling air and air outlets of engine cooling air same as Senden. Top speed of these fighters were 700km/h.
Nario Ando(安藤成雄) also joined in Fugaku design team and Ki-93 design team.

Attachments

• HEAVY FIFHTER STUDY TYPE A AND B.jpg
    HEAVY FIFHTER STUDY TYPE A AND B.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 269
  • SENDEN.jpg
    SENDEN.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 266
To bad. So I see japanese aircraft history has many secrets... ;)

Hi! Next secrets. The IJA's light bomber study.
The upper one's engine was Nakajima HA-39, W18 liquid cooling engine(take off power 2,100hp)! It had skin coolers.
The lower one's engine was Nakajima HA-45.

Attachments

• THE IJA'S LIGHT BOMBER STUDY.jpg
    THE IJA'S LIGHT BOMBER STUDY.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1,080
Thanks for these new rare data. Maybe I have been wrong about the Plan-2 design in my (free) book Forked Ghosts (http://cmeunier.chez-alice.fr/Free_EoFG_MV.htm), that I thought was Tachikawa not Nakajima. But my sources are lost, who could confirm? (if I remember well, this came from photocopies sent by our dear Justo).

Attachments

• r_TachikawaP2-3.JPG
    r_TachikawaP2-3.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 832
Hi! Next one. Enjoy.

Attachments

• HA-45 ENGINE MODIFIED  LIGHT BOMBER.jpg
    HA-45 ENGINE MODIFIED LIGHT BOMBER.jpg
    557.9 KB · Views: 653
  • HA-45 LIGHT BOMBER STUDY 2.jpg
    HA-45 LIGHT BOMBER STUDY 2.jpg
    640.8 KB · Views: 554
Hi! Please watch bottom left of the drawings. You will see the date of the drawings,June to September 1941.

Next are HA-45 engine reconnaissance aircrafts. Top speed are 705km/h and 716km/h.

Attachments

• HA 45 ENGINE RECON.jpg
    HA 45 ENGINE RECON.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 216
Hi Blackkite!

Thanks for sharing of such amazing images. Could you tell me - is this images were the original drawings, prepared aircraft designers in 1940th years or drawings made by certain by illustrator directrly to this book?

In another words - is this drawings typical for presentation of new project to the aviation authorities in Japan in 1940th?

Thanks in advance

Hi! Of course these are original drawings from the book "The story of IJA's aircrafts plan(日本陸軍機の計画物語)".(Aviation Journal 1980).
This book is written by the planner of these aircrafts Nario Ando, the engineer of the IJA.

Next one is four HA-45 engine heavy bomber design. Top speed was 693km/h.

Attachments

• HA-45 ENGINE HEAVY BOMBER.jpg
    HA-45 ENGINE HEAVY BOMBER.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 155
Next one is high speed aircraft(recon) with HA-45 engine. Nario Ando said in this book that if this aircraft had Mitsubishi HA-211 engine, it would become one alternative design for Ki-73 high speed aircraft which ordered Mitsubishi to develop.
Top speed were 750km/h(HA-45) and 775km/h(HA-211).

Attachments

• ha-45 high speed aircraft.jpg
    ha-45 high speed aircraft.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 174
Hi next one! High speed bomber study. Engine were Mitsubishi HA-211-Ⅱ.
Maximum speed was 660km/h to 685km/h. Sorry for low quality.
The first one
Range:3,000km-4,000km, Bomb:1,000kg-1,500kg, Maximum speed:660km/h-685km/h, Wing span:26.35m-28.2m, Overall length:19.8m-20.685m, Gross weight:19.34ton-21.985ton
The second one
Range:3,000km, Bomb:1,000kg, Maximum speed:680km/h, Wing span:27.1m, Overall length:20.56m, Gross weight:19.785ton

Attachments

• HIGH SPEED BOMBER PLAN No.1.jpg
    HIGH SPEED BOMBER PLAN No.1.jpg
    624.9 KB · Views: 183
  • HIGH SPEED BOMBER PLAN No,2.jpg
    HIGH SPEED BOMBER PLAN No,2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 196
blackkite said:
Hi next one! High speed bomber study. Engine were Mitsubishi HA-211-Ⅱ.
Maximum speed was 660km/h to 685km/h. Sorry for low quality.

I take it that it and the 'four HA-45 engine heavy bomber design' were aimed at the same IJA requirement. What was the projected bombload for those two designs, and, is there any more information available on the original requirement?

Hi Grey! Good question. I will modify my previous post, please wait for a moment.

Wow guys amazing thread! Thanks for sharing all this information. ;D

Hi! The final one. Long range fighter study. Enjoy.

Attachments

• LONG RANGE FIGHTER No.3.jpg
    LONG RANGE FIGHTER No.3.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 915
  • LONG RANGE FIGHTER PLAN No.1 B.jpg
    LONG RANGE FIGHTER PLAN No.1 B.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 794
  • LONG RANGE FIGHTER PLAN No.2.jpg
    LONG RANGE FIGHTER PLAN No.2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 667
  • LONG RANGE FIGHTER PLAN No,1 A.jpg
    LONG RANGE FIGHTER PLAN No,1 A.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 566
wow, i hope to see these of next issue of japanese projects of Midland ! B)

Plan no.1 B looks a lot like a Bf110 any relation?

Many thanks for this excellent contribution Blackkite...

lark said:
Many thanks for this excellent contribution Blackkite...
Hi! I will keep unveil WW2 Japanese projects. Your gentle words encourage me very much. Thanks a lot. :)

It was a pleasure Blackkite.Keep up the good work ;)

blackkite said:
Hi Grey! Good question. I will modify my previous post, please wait for a moment.

Thanks blackkite! Would I be right in thinking, based on the known projected bombloads from those bomber designs that were studied, that at least some elements in the IJA were thinking of using (at least at the time of the study) a very large number of long range aircraft with light bombloads (but with a relatively low overall cost per unit) to meet strategic bombing requirements?

Topic split from huge Japanese projects thread.*

All the posts here are specifically original blueprints from designs by IJA engineer Naruo Ando, and attached to no particular manufacturer. They were all sourced from the book The story of IJA aircraft projects (日本陸軍機の計画物語) (Aviation Journal 1980)

Triton said:
Many thanks Blackkite, Always delighted to see your posts on the Secret Projects forum.

I agree with you Triton Blakkite san his articles are indeed very delighted and very interesting to read!

Thank you very much. I'm very happy to know that you enjoyed my post.
Now I'm interested in Italian beauty. ;D I will back to Japanese beauty soon. ;)

Attachments

• Virna_Lisi_giovane.jpg
    Virna_Lisi_giovane.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 89
Blackkite,

LOL! Yes Italians are beautiful ( I am part Italian myself). But I like Japanese beauties very much! :) ;) :D ;D Oh yeah, I like Japanese airplanes too! ::)