ID NACA Wind Tunnel Model

The tail has a similar 'look' to the Fleet Fort. A Canadian design might be tested at the NACA and this would explain why it doesnt match up with anything known from a US maker. Plus Fleet presumably had a Model 70 design that is completely unknown.
Now that is really interesting, especially as Fleet Aircraft was owned by Consolidated and therefore had a direct link to the US
And the 'tail-plane' too

My first gut feeling was distinctly Lockheed IF American. My take was Alcor but the engines do not match. Perhaps is was being reengined

Thanks for posting the additional photographs. Hopefully the extra detail will help us identify the project. As Paul says the nacelles are very distinctive; certainly looks like an inverted V and the semi recessed undercarriage is notable

Last edited:
When I saw it at first time,I thought it was a Polish design ?.

OK, I have to admit defeat on this one. Many distinctive features but combined in such a way that identifying a specific designer or company is a real problem.

I'm taking a totally different direction here. Could it be a model of the Japanese Kawasaki Ki-38 that was never build? The general layout looks a lot like the Kawasaki KI-45.

Agreed, without more information its just a guessing game. Trying to eyeball by shape and style can be so misleading, we've guessed everything from de Havilland to Consolidated to PZL to Kawasaki.

My gut feeling is, if this is indeed an NACA model then its probably a smaller US company with a design that has been lost to history. Still doesn't explain the possible inverted V-12 engine though. If its not an NACA model then its wide open and any guess is still a stab in the dark.

Agreed, without more information its just a guessing game. Trying to eyeball by shape and style can be so misleading, we've guessed everything from de Havilland to Consolidated to PZL to Kawasaki.

My gut feeling is, if this is indeed an NACA model then its probably a smaller US company with a design that has been lost to history. Still doesn't explain the possible inverted V-12 engine though. If its not an NACA model then its wide open and any guess is still a stab in the dark.

There was an inverted version of the v-1710 proposed. Then there is the Continental 1430 and Ranger 770.

The first two are certainly possibilities, although the Continental had its air intake located low down between the cylinder banks. No idea how the inverted V-1710 would have been fed. However the Ranger was air cooled and the model does not suggest the presence of the necessary air ducting.

OK, the Ki-38 is on the forum, look at the wind tunnel model, it's looks the same and has the same engine nacelles, only they're rotated up 180 degrees
Not really the same; the wing, tailplane, tailfin, rudder, dorsal position, cockpit shape and nacelles on this model have different shapes to those of the Ki-88.
Not only that but the engine nacelles on that Ki-38 model are the Kawasaki Ha-9, licence-built version of the BMW VI, which is very much a tall-thin V-12.