Hycore. (South Korean Hypersonic Cruise Missile)

The AvWeek subhead writer needs a technology refresher course. That's not a glider.

Is it just me or does that look exactly like the X-51 with a different booster arrangement?

Is it just me or does that look exactly like the X-51 with a different booster arrangement?
Pretty close. As does Zircon and Brahmos 2 (or whatever it's being called).

I wonder if the X-51 imagery isn't perhaps just a placeholder and not truly representative of any of the missiles. Zircon for instance I can't imagine being a pure scramjet given its rough dimensions and surface launch mode; the booster would have to be rather energetic for it to be a pure wave rider. The Russians have never explicitly described it as a scramjet; I suspect it is ramjet/scramjet hybrid that changes its intake geometry.

Wouldn't surprise me. As for Zircon I read somewhere that it might not even be a scramjet but just a conventional ramjet. If so that would certainly be a record for ramjet speed.

For a dual-combustion ramjet (ramjet/scramjet) HyFly would be a good example. Didn't have VG intakes but completely separate flow paths as I recall.

1652369057036.png

Ell8A_yWkAgqoz-.jpg

Last edited: