• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Defense against Hypersonic Glide Vehicles

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Just starting a generic thread here to discuss possibilities and programs. Saw the following in an AvWeek article:

"These include a new family of interceptor missiles called SkyFire proposed by Raytheon; hypervelocity projectiles designed by General Atomics, Boeing and BAE Systems; a laser gun offered by Boeing; and electronic attack systems conceptualized by Northrop Grumman, L3 Technologies and Lockheed. Lockheed also has proposed a full range of new interceptors, including a space-based system, an air-launched missile and the “Valkyrie” for terminal hypersonic defense. "

http://aviationweek.com/defense/top-us-hypersonic-weapon-program-facing-new-schedule-pressure#comment-1090641

Anybody know anything about these?

Orionblamblam

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
sferrin said:
a laser gun offered by Boeing;
I have doubts about the utility of lasers against hypersonic weapons. Not only do they have to punch through a potentially incandescent leading edge shockwave they also have to damage structures that are *designed* for high thermal and structural loading.

Trident

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Said structures are operating in a thermal environment which is already challenging to begin with though, so there might not be a lot of margin to bear additional heat load. The straw which breaks the camel's back...

I do agree about the optical challenges imposed by hypersonic flow past the target - lasers currently seem to have quite enough problems dealing with normal atmospheric distortion and turbulence.

sublight is back

Reaction score
Trident said:
.....seem to have quite enough problems dealing with normal atmospheric distortion and turbulence.
Only if they are coming from the terrestrial side.... ;)

sferrin

Reaction score
Even radar has problems getting through the plasma layer. With Sprint they needed quite a bit of power to communicate through it. I would think it would be even more difficult for a much shorter wavelength laser.

Orionblamblam

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
Trident said:
Said structures are operating in a thermal environment which is already challenging to begin with though, so there might not be a lot of margin to bear additional heat load. The straw which breaks the camel's back...
*IF* the thing is flying fast enough to create an incandescent gas layer, then it has a pretty good shield against lasers. A gas that is transparent to visible or IR becomes very, VERY opaque to visible or IR if it's glowing. So a laser would strike that and heat up the outer layer of the gas, but little to none of that energy would likely punch through to the vehicle.

Of course it's a safe bet that the incandescent "shield" will only cover leading edges, not the whole thing. So a strike at the side might work. But head-on, the laser has a challenge.

jeffb

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
Would there be any benefit to disturbing the air ahead of the object? Aim to create a series of detonations ahead of or beside the vehicle timed to disrupt the plasma or induce a tumble.

starviking

Reaction score
Orionblamblam said:
*IF* the thing is flying fast enough to create an incandescent gas layer, then it has a pretty good shield against lasers. A gas that is transparent to visible or IR becomes very, VERY opaque to visible or IR if it's glowing. So a laser would strike that and heat up the outer layer of the gas, but little to none of that energy would likely punch through to the vehicle.

Of course it's a safe bet that the incandescent "shield" will only cover leading edges, not the whole thing. So a strike at the side might work. But head-on, the laser has a challenge.
Heating the outer layer should have some effect on the pressure & volume of the outer layer - which could have some effect on the aerodynamics of the HGV.

marauder2048

"I should really just relax"
Reaction score
sferrin said:
Even radar has problems getting through the plasma layer. With Sprint they needed quite a bit of power to communicate through it. I would think it would be even more difficult for a much shorter wavelength laser.
I thought that plasma sheaths were actually more permeable to shorter wavelengths...

Trident

Reaction score
Orionblamblam said:
Concur, as I said. A laser-based HGV defence faces a big hurdle, but (in my view) it's the hypersonic flow, not the vehicle structure.

starviking said:
Heating the outer layer should have some effect on the pressure & volume of the outer layer - which could have some effect on the aerodynamics of the HGV.
The 21st century equivalent of toppling V1s? Certainly an interesting idea.

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
We wrote about this idea some time ago.

You have to keep in mind that the boundary layer of an HGV is predominantly driven by the surface temperature and the Reynolds number.*
By playing randomly with the temperature of the body surface you can probably destabilize the vehicle, overloading its ctrl computer.

As I wrote much earlier, its then light speed Vs signal speed

*There are some certainly other trick to play like like coupling a laser and a pulsed HPMW to have a burst effect turning the smooth ride to something like navigating on a sea of popping popcorn ;)

marauder2048

"I should really just relax"
Reaction score
Given that the control system has to be able to respond to destabilizations due to random/un-even
ablation anyway I tend to think the dwell times are going to be close to what RAND
was suggesting is the typical timeline for burn through against HGVs (several tens of seconds).

Orionblamblam

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
marauder2048 said:
Given that the control system has to be able to respond to destabilizations due to random/un-even
ablation anyway
Birds, bugs, rain, hail, clouds, smoke, dust. Never mind various forms of "wind."

fredymac

Reaction score
I always associated plasma sheaths with deliberate deceleration. How much range can you maintain while simultaneously generating a shock wave strong enough to ionize air? What is the flight profile of an HGV? For any significant range will it be mainly above the atmosphere and only come down to skip/maneuver during course changes?

AN/AWW-14(V)

Reaction score
Meet the new keywords: SM3-HAWK, HYVINT, Dart, Valkyrie Interceptor

Raytheon Missile Systems, Tucson, Arizona, is being awarded a competitive firm-fixed-price contract. The total value of this contract is $4,445,140. Under this new contract, the contractor will further develop and refine their Hypersonic Defense Weapon Systems Concept Definition White Paper titled "SM3-HAWK". The work will be performed in Tucson, Arizona with an estimated completion date of May 2, 2020. The performance period is from Sept 3, 2019 through May 2, 2020.

https://www.fbo.gov/index.php?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=e1cbf79e9cd126a2f6d488e39366bef6&tab=core&tabmode=list&=
Lockheed Martin Systems, Sunnyvale, California, is being awarded a competitive firm-fixed-price contract. The total value of this contract is $4.512,136. Under this new contract, the contractor will further develop and refine their Hypersonic Defense Weapon Systems Concept Definition White Paper titled "Hypersonic Defense Weapon System Concept - Dart". The work will be performed in Sunnyvale, California with an estimated completion date of May 2, 2020. The performance period is from of Sept 3, 2019 through May 2, 2020.

https://www.fbo.gov/index?s=opportunity&mode=form&tab=core&id=8a5141b00a4bd990d317a59b5d48f13a
Lockheed Martin Missiles and Fire Control, Grand Prairie, Texas, is being awarded a competitive firm-fixed-price contract. The total value of this contract is $4.441,998. Under this new contract, the contractor will further develop and refine their Hypersonic Defense Weapon Systems Concept Definition White Paper titled "Valkyrie Interceptor Terminal Hypersonic Defense". The work will be performed in Grand Prairie, Texas with an estimated completion date of May 2, 2020. The performance period is from Sept 3, 2019 through May 2, 2020.

https://www.fbo.gov/index.php?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=7bbc371ca0680c90ae98cea477df4e45&tab=core&_cview=0
The Boeing Company, Huntsville, Alabama, is being awarded a competitive firm-fixed-price contract. The total value of this contract is $4,356,864. Under this new contract, the contractor will further develop and refine their Hypersonic Defense Weapon Systems Concept Definition White Paper titled "Hypervelocity Interceptor (HYVINT) Concept for Hypersonic Weapons". The work will be performed in Huntsville, Alabama with an estimated completion date of May 2, 2020. The performance period is from Sept 3, 2019 through May 2, 2020.

https://www.fbo.gov/index.php?s=opportunity&mode=form&id=9c12da9b2269268b02fe934027bb02c5&tab=core&_cview=0

Last edited:

Moose

Reaction score
Brilliant Pebbles - hit the launch vehicle pre-deployment.
I don't imagine the concept works as well in the atmosphere, and SM3 isn't what you'd use to launch a persistent system like BP.

Forest Green

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
I don't imagine the concept works as well in the atmosphere, and SM3 isn't what you'd use to launch a persistent system like BP.
Many HGV/MaRV launch vehicles go exo-atmospheric pre-deployment, in fact more do than don't, especially in the case of DF-21Ds and DF-26s. I'm sure the KKVs could be adapted for high atmospheric use though if you adopted a similar design to SM-3 HAWK.

You would use reusable LVs to launch the system.

jsport

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Would there be any benefit to disturbing the air ahead of the object? Aim to create a series of detonations ahead of or beside the vehicle timed to disrupt the plasma or induce a tumble.
A laser induced plasma channel might be able to cause continuous explosions in front of the object.

antigravite

Reaction score
A laser induced plasma channel might be able to cause continuous explosions in front of the object.
hmmm This seems to be the working proposal of Rimili Avramenko’s old Soviet concept for the Planeta plasma-air pocket ABM defense system, revived in the early 1990s as the Doverie proposal...
A

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
This and BL tempering through frequency driven heat injection (mainly laser).

AN/AWW-14(V)

Reaction score

Fire control radar interferometer test bed for Hypervelocity Terminal Defense Fire Control

Three receive antennas on vertices of a 10 meter baseline equilateral triangle provides measurement accuracy required to command guide gun launched projectile interceptors to direct hit-to- kill impact of incoming ballistic missile targets.

dan_inbox

Reaction score
Who needed to publish this kind of information? Moles?
Can't help but wonder how much damage is done to national security by stooopid marketers blabbing.
Greed is greed and is the essence of our capitalistic system, yes, but ...

sferrin

Reaction score
Who needed to publish this kind of information? Moles?
Can't help but wonder how much damage is done to national security by stooopid marketers blabbing.
Greed is greed and is the essence of our capitalistic system, yes, but ...

Given China's data pipeline into virtually everything the US has to hide I doubt this came as a revelation to them.

edwest

Reaction score
China needs easy access.... not.