• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Hughes XV-9A and related Hot Cycle projects

Jemiba

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
There seems to be a relationship to this design for a hot-cycle compound,
shown in AviationWeek 2/1966:

Attachments

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Ah, this one, I think, is very similar to the one shown in Aviation Week 1966,
although not with the high set engines (?) at the tail:

Attachments

amsci99

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Jemiba said:
Ah, this one, I think, is very similar to the one shown in Aviation Week 1966,
although not with the high set engines (?) at the tail:
Jemiba,

Reminds me of the failed X-50 Dragonfly. Wonder if they would have achieved better success with this configuration. Anyway, I read on the Ares Blog that Boeing is restarting the project.

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/defense/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3a27ec4a53-dcc8-42d0-bd3a-01329aef79a7Post%3ad5fc1583-d8b7-4930-b087-add6a7f22725&plckCommentSortOrder=TimeStampAscending

Orionblamblam

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
Triton said:
Found this artwork on eBay, the seller describes it as a Hughes helicopter plane.
Hughes "Hot Cycle." At $800, it had better be the actual painting, but it looks more like a lithograph, in which case the asking price is a tad high.

Matej

Multiuniversal creator
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechweb.genezis.eu
It looks like a vital idea, so what are its disadvantages? In other words, why it was not built? The one possibility that comes to my mind is something close to the X-50A: the lift generated by the Y wing is too low.

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
At last this "XV-" project is related to some existing project. Thanks to you all!
As for the "Hot Cycle" name, this refered to Hughes' XV-9A prototype, not the one in the picture.
In case some of you may not remember that strange bird, here is a great page about it:

http://www.aviastar.org/helicopters_eng/mcdonnel_hot.php

Matej

Multiuniversal creator
Reaction score
Website
www.hitechweb.genezis.eu
Stargazer2006 said:
As for the "Hot Cycle" name, this refered to Hughes' XV-9A prototype, not the one in the picture.
"Hot cycle" is primarily the technical principle, not the name. So it can be used in any project, that has rotor blades equipped with the tubes and thrusters, that are directing the *hot* gas from the engine to the end of the rotor blades.

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
True, thanks for clarifying this!

gfi88

CLEARANCE: Restricted
Reaction score
A Hughes XV-9A prototype model was just posted on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280405328772&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching#ht_500wt_977

Attachments

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Hughes Helicopter Contractor Desk Model – Not Topping

URL: http://cgi.ebay.com/Hughes-Helicopter-Contractor-Desk-Model-Not-Topping_W0QQitemZ110480400704QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19b9252140

Description:
This is a Hughes Y-Wing / Hot Cycle Concept Model. The model was made by Hughes in the 1960’s. The model measures 18” long and the y-wing measures 12” wide. The model is solid resin and it is in overall good condition. The resin has some hairline cracks in a few places due to age. The flash in the pictures show the cracks, but they are not as noticeable in person. The tail has a small chip and one of the y-wing tips does as well. One of the y-wings has been repaired (pictured). The model has two moveable doors that open on the top of the cockpit and the y-wing will spin. The stand is metal with painted rocks to simulate the model hovering over a field. The stand measures 13” long x 8” wide and weighs approximately ten pounds. This is an extremely rare one of a kind model, so don’t miss out! No Reserve! Other forms of payment excepted from US buyers.

In the 1960s, Hughes looked at using hot-cycle reaction drive to power a stoppable rotor/wing. The Y-shaped rotor/wing would rotate to generate lift like a helicopter, then slow and stop to become a swept wing for high-speed forward flight. Windtunnel and whirlstand testing revealed vibration problems, and the idea was dropped.

Attachments

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Additional photographs of the Hughes Y-Wing / Hot cycle concept model.

Attachments

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com
Description:

Old HUGHES Rotary Wing Concept Brochure

This is a very unusual 4-sided full-colour brochure on the Hughes rotor/wing concept, which was a proposal for a thick wing-like rotor which would stop in forward flight to enable the aircraft to travel up to 500 mph. Very good condition.

Attachments

Caravellarella

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
Dear Boys and Girls, here is an article in French about the Hughes XV-9A test-bed......

The article comes from the 1st March 1965 issue of Aviation Magazine International......

Terry (Caravellarella)

Attachments

ermeio

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 3-view drawing and details about of this helicopter
Can anyone help?
ermeio

ermeio

Reaction score
Thanks to you all for the pics
I didn't hope to find such a huge quantity of material.
Forgive me - I didn't know that aerospace section was the right place to ask.
Best regards ermeio

Stingray

Brony rotorhead...
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Hughes Hot Cycle brochure:

(c) Stingray's Archive

Attachments

Stargazer2006

Staff member
Reaction score
Goodness gracious me. This is SWEET!!! Thanks a lot for sharing Travis, it's appreciated. Have we seen the end of the brochure? Perhaps now we could turn it into a downloadable PDF?

Antonio

Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps now we could turn it into a downloadable PDF?
I use this efficient app in my mac:

http://sintraworks.com/index.php/sintraworks/pdfnomad_home/

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
Perhaps now we could turn it into a downloadable PDF?

Done. But it's over 18 Mb. How to upload it here... ???

cheers,
Robin.

Brickmuppet

Reaction score
OK I've looked through the thread and read the PDF and it seems that the XV-9A was reasonably successful and the concept had the potential to be 'all that and a bowl of grits'.

I'm also noting that nigh on 40 years later there aren't many hot cycle whirllycopters in use except in limited applications (like where icing is an issue).

Every design has tradeoffs...Aside from the higher noise level (which the paper seems to think was minor) what engineering problems did this have?

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
This, from Putnam's 'McDonnell Douglas' Volume 2, PP.267-9 :-

"From the economic and environmental points of view, however, the XV-9A was less successful as the exhaust...was noisy and unacceptable in urban areas, and as fuel consumption rate was rather high."

Thus, it seems the old enemy of gas-drive rotors, noise, reared it's ugly head once again, and the high fuel consumption wouldn't help either.

cheers,
Robin.

circle-5

Top Contributor
Reaction score
Most people who lived in Culver City, CA at the time, remember hearing the XV-9A all the way from Hughes airport, nearly two miles across town. Up close it wasn't just noisy, it was deafening. It was also a particularly unpleasant kind of warbling howl.

The SPL diagrams shown in the report are wishfully optimistic.