Ukrainian Ballistic Missile Development and Deployment

This was said to be co-funded by Saudi Arabia. Yet curiously no missiles of the type ever operated by the Saudi. DF-21 was bought instead.

IMHO, 5-axes layout of this vehicle is quite unusual, as well as wheel's dimensions. Perhaps, there were intended for good roads, not for all-terrain service?

Zelenskyy during a press conference at the Forum of State Institutions Leadership on 27 August
"What developments does Ukraine have? Well, I thought it’s too early to speak about it but…The first Ukrainian ballistic missile has been successfully tested. I congratulate our defence industrial base on this."

First succesful test of a ukrainian-made ballistic missile, Sapsan?

It will be interesting to see which requirements and technical choices have been made or changed over the past years.

Zelenskyy during a press conference at the Forum of State Institutions Leadership on 27 August
"What developments does Ukraine have? Well, I thought it’s too early to speak about it but…The first Ukrainian ballistic missile has been successfully tested. I congratulate our defence industrial base on this."

First succesful test of a ukrainian-made ballistic missile, Sapsan?

It will be interesting to see which requirements and technical choices have been made or changed over the past years.
It will likely be this fellow.

Last I heard they'd managed to improve range to 700km.

In its export version, the Hrim-2 can target stationary individual and group targets at distances ranging from 50 to 280 km. However, for Ukrainian military needs, the system's range has been extended to 700 km, significantly enhancing its previous range of 450 to 500 km.

1724769340275.png

Last edited:
This suggests Ukraine's new ballistic missile can reach St.Petersburg too, which implies ~1,000km range (first 10s).

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2FPAuYb65A
Would fit Sapsan. I would really be interrested to know how far they got before the war and are now. How good is the production capability and if it may make even more sense to let it be produced outside of ukraine and more but i don't hope for an answer

This is the legacy of Yangel courting Brezhnev rather than Kruschtchev before 1964, since rivals Korolev and Chelomei were Mister K. darlings. Yangel bet on Brezhnev paid handily after October 1964, with a request from Leonid: "please create rocket jobs in my native Ukraine." (SLS invented nothing, as far as pork barrelled rockets are concerned)
And so Ukraine, with russian Glushko engines, build R-36s, Tsyklons and Zenit "like sausages". R-36 was a monster of ICBM.

Defense Updates has just put out a video about Ukraine's new Trim-2 ballistic missile:

A new trouble is brewing for President Putin and Kremlin.An indigenous ballistic missile that can hit key Russian cities is taking shape in Ukraine.
President of Ukraine Volodymyr Zelensky announced at a press conference that Ukraine has tried out its first ballistic missile manufactured by the country’s defense industry.
Zelensky said during the Ukraine 2024 forum, “Perhaps it’s too early to talk about this, but I want to share this news with you. Ukraine has successfully tested its first ballistic missile,”
The president congratulated the Ukrainian defense industry on the success of the project but did not disclose any additional details about the new weapon, including what type of ballistic missile it is. As per Ukrainian media, the missile is named Hrim-2 or Thunder-2A
day earlier, Ukraine’s Defense Minister Rustem Umerov stated that the country is preparing a response to Russian airstrikes, using domestically produced weapons. Umerov emphasized, “This once again proves that to achieve victory, we need long-range capabilities and the lifting of restrictions on attacks on enemy military targets,”
In this video, Defense Updates analyzes how Ukraine’s Hrim-2 ballistic missile could change the dynamics of war?
Chapters:
00:11 INTRODUCTION
02:20 BACKGROUND
03:54 A RESPONSE TO ISKANDER M
04:48 INDIGENOUS WEAPON is KEY
06:43 ANALYSIS

Hopefully in the near future Ukraine is going to be giving Russia some serious payback for all of those SS-26 Stone MRBM strikes it has inflicted upon Ukraine.