Historical color scheme inspirations for a strut-braced, low-wing monoplane?

cluttonfred

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Website
cluttonfred.info
I am a fan of the Evans Volksplane VP-1 and VP-2, very basic homebuilt aircraft that can be customized with additional fairing, turtledecks, canopies, etc. or just left bare-bones. I have not built mine yet, but I am already daydreaming about a color scheme.

I know of one that been done up as an early Avia in 1920s Czech military colors and another in 1930s U.S. Army Air Corps colors. Looking for some historical inspiration, there aren't a lot of options for strut-braced, low-wing monoplanes.

Any ideas come to mind?

Cheers,

Matthew

01.jpg

MM00CVW1.JPG

Reviving an old thread, I am still looking for possible historical paint schemes appropriate to a strut-braced, low-wing monoplane. Wire-braced and/or fairly boxy cantilever low-wing monoplane suggestions are also welcome. Cheers, Matthew

Would that be of interest to you? Of course, the Aetna 2SA was simply a rebadging of the Timm Tutor.

Attachments

• AETNA 2SA.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
A couple of suggestions...
I saw this Moth Minor at the 2015 Welshpool Airshow, a simple scheme, but very effective.
A couple of pages from 'Profile' 51, 'GeeBee Racers'. Applying one of these schemes to a VP-1 would, IMHO, be an excellent visual joke...

cheers,
Robin.

Attachments

• IMG_0120 small.jpg
    IMG_0120 small.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 106
  • GeeBee.jpg
    GeeBee.jpg
    372.5 KB · Views: 104
  • GeeBee 3-view.jpg
    GeeBee 3-view.jpg
    364.6 KB · Views: 99
The first thing that came to mind: Miles Magister.

I like the unpainted cowlings on some of them - but also the whole camouflage + high visibility paint job is quite counter-intuitive and memorable! Plus it looks fun (kindof says 'I'm a fighter pilot but I like yellow bellies!')

Prettiest paint jobs were the scalloped two-toned lines on Monocoupes and Granville Brothers airplanes.

riggerrob said:
Prettiest paint jobs were the scalloped two-toned lines on Monocoyoes and Granville Brothers airplanes.

I suppose you meant Monocoupes! ;D

Thanks, guys. The Aetna 2SA attachment won't download for some reason but what at comes up in Google has lots of struts and wire and so can't be a derivative of the molded plywood Timm Tutor.

However, that did remind me of another minor WWII trainer, the Fleet Fort, which did have one strut each side. I like the idea of the mixed yellow and camo RAF trainer colors but not the effort it would take to make it look just right and I do like the look of the interwar trainers.

The P-26 Peashooter offers many options but nothing has caught my except maybe olive drab with fin flashes and big star roundels of the U.S. Army Air Service and later Air Corps. The Monocoupes and GBs, while lovely, are not the look I am going for, too pretty.

3_12.jpg

Verville_Sperry_Heck.jpg

Replying to my own thread, I know, but the Curtiss Shrike series has some great interwar schemes that might work well.

Curtiss%20A12%20Shrike%20%28128%29_Page_11-960.jpg

Dewoitine 500/510?

Quite a few interesting and unusual schemes.

sienar said:
Dewoitine 500/510?

Quite a few interesting and unusual schemes.

Thanks for the suggestion, here's a neat one from the Wings Palette site:

21_2.jpg

The Grim Reaper might not inspire much confidence in passengers, though. ;-)