High-mounted engine layout for airlifters?

Apophenia

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Some time back Heshem posted an image of an airliner with high wings, twin tails, and two high-mounted turbofans at the rear. I'm not sure what the value of such a layout would be for a civilian aircraft but found the concept intriguing.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,181.90.html [Reply #91]

The only other applications of this high-winged, twin-engined layout that I could think of were the Beriev A-40/Be-200 and other amphibian concepts (GTX posted the NauticAir 450).

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,181.75.html [Reply #80]

Any opinions as to whether such a layout has value for a military airlifter?

In my 'pixel sketches' I've combined features of the Ilyushin Il-76 and Beriev A-40. This is just to give the look of the aircraft (obviously the A-40 powerplants would be inadequate for an aircraft of the Il-76's size).

Obvious advantages would be better protection from unprepared airstrip FOD. Disadvantages would be engine maintenance/changing and (I'm guessing) aerodynamic penalties. Could the good outweigh the bad for a rough field tactical airlifter?

Attachments

• beriev-airlifter-front.jpg
    beriev-airlifter-front.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 88
  • beriev-airlifter-side.jpg
    beriev-airlifter-side.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 91
In this configuration, no. The main study of such engine placement for airliners is to reduce noise, and in the case of the Beriev to avoid engine sea spray. If you wanted a quiet airlifter, I suppose.

The YC-14 and An-72 have their engines placed on the leading edges of the wings.

Just call me Ray said:
The main study of such engine placement for airliners is to reduce noise, and in the case of the Beriev to avoid engine sea spray. If you wanted a quiet airlifter, I suppose.

Ah, that makes sense of the proposal posted by Hesham. Nocturnal stealth airlifter? ;D