'Haeil' ('Tsunami') North Korea's Unmanned Underwater Nuclear Attack Craft

KUMA

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
Website
weibo.com
Important Weapon Test and Firing Drill Conducted in DPRK
A new underwater attack weapon system test was conducted from March 21 to 23.

Since 2012, the DPRK's defence scientific research institute has conducted the development of the underwater nuclear strategic attack weapon system based on a new operational concept, studying warfare in the new era and defining the orientation of the development of the self-defence capabilities to outpace the military and technical superiority of the imperialist aggressor forces.

The Political Bureau of the WPK Central Committee was informally reported about the underwater strategic nuclear weapon system at the Defence Development Exhibition Self-Defence-2021 held in October 2021.

This secret weapon was named "Unmanned Underwater Nuclear Attack Craft 'Haeil'" at the 8th Congress of the WPK.

It has undergone more than 50 shakedowns for the past two years since the Congress.

Kim Jong Un personally guided 29 weapon tests and its operational deployment was decided at the 6th Plenary Meeting of the 8th Central Committee of the WPK.

The mission of the underwater nuclear strategic weapon is to stealthily infiltrate into operational waters and make a super-scale radioactive tsunami through underwater explosion to destroy naval striker groups and major operational ports of the enemy.

This nuclear underwater attack drone can be deployed at any coast and port or towed by a surface ship for operation.

The underwater nuclear attack drone, which was deployed for a drill off the coast of Riwon County of South Hamgyong Province on Tuesday, reached the target point in the waters off Hongwon Bay set as a mock enemy port with its test warhead detonating underwater on Thursday afternoon after cruising along an oval and pattern-8 course at an underwater depth of 80 to 150 meters in the East Sea of Korea for 59 hours and 12 minutes.

The test correctly estimated all the tactical and technical specifications and navigational and technical indices of the underwater nuclear attack drone, verified its reliability and safety and fully confirmed its lethal strike capability.
020.jpg
021 (1).jpg
023.jpg
024 (1).jpg
I made a simple fix to the panels in the background:
[II(]$$[[P}2{V@JED)U4KA.png
There is currently no way to estimate the size of this vehicle.

Update:

2023.3.28 North Korea demonstrates a common tactical nuclear warhead:

I did further analysis based on new images that were made public:

{~I6C7TE5V]{X`OH5$N{J3I.png
무인잠수함 meaning unmanned submarine

The recovery of the last two words is not clear, but I think it refers to haeil(해일).

Extrapolating based on the size and scale of the warhead, I drew a new image:

海啸推测图.jpg

The power may be a ducted propeller, i am not sure.

Update:

2023.3.28 North Korea demonstrates a common tactical nuclear warhead:

I did further analysis based on new images that were made public:

View attachment 696611
무인잠수함 meaning unmanned submarine

The recovery of the last two words is not clear, but I think it refers to haeil(해일).

Extrapolating based on the size and scale of the warhead, I drew a new image:

View attachment 696612

The power may be a ducted propeller, i am not sure.
I need to correct it, it should be 어뢰 in brackets, which means torpedo.
HAIXIAO.jpg

Estimates for the warhead is 40cm by 90cm at low end while high end is 50cm by 100cm.
So very likely not simple implosion warhead considering length is over twice the diameter.
Probably thermonuclear, comparable size to nuke that America used for their BGM-109 CM.

Estimates for the warhead is 40cm by 90cm at low end while high end is 50cm by 100cm.
So very likely not simple implosion warhead considering length is over twice the diameter.
Probably thermonuclear, comparable size to nuke that America used for their BGM-109 CM.
My calculations of this warhead based on the 600mm rocket and Kim Jong-un's height are all around 50cm (0.5m).Based on the analysis of the rectified image I drawn the image above.

Here is an image of the real thing from the parade. How does it compare with Poseidon?

Attachments

• PIC0075170.jpg
    PIC0075170.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 24
  • PIC0075120.jpg
    PIC0075120.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 24
The new image proves that my previous speculation on its appearance is basically correct;)

Hey, neat, I guessed correctly:

North Korea Says It Tested an Underwater Nuclear Drone

North Korea has conducted a test of its underwater nuclear weapons system in a protest against this week’s joint military drills by South Korea, the United States and Japan, state media KCNA said on Friday.

The test of the “Haeil-5-23” system, a name North Korea has given to its nuclear-capable underwater attack drones, was carried out by the defense ministry’s think tank in the waters off its east coast, the report said, without specifying a date.