H.R. Giger is dead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michel Van

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
Alien_Photo_Giger_Et_Son_Alien.jpg

sad news

a hour ago the Swizz tv announced the death of H.R.Giger, he died from injuries suffered in a fall,
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/0...n_5314408.html
http://www.spiegel.de/kultur/kino/al...-a-969080.html

Re: H.R. Giger is death

I suppose you meant "... is dead" in the title, not "... is death", but the mistake in this case pretty much sums up what I've always thought about the guy's work. All of his works exhale death, oblivion, a morbid ode to nothingness.

whiner said:
I suppose you meant "... is dead" in the title, not "... is death", but the mistake in this case pretty much sums up what I've always thought about the guy's work. All of his works exhale death, oblivion, a morbid ode to nothingness.
thank, my orthography is a mess...

Oh no. :'(

Someone needs to check for claw marks round the back of the head, marks around the throat, etc., and if a CT scan of the chest shows a confusing obscuring blur, cremate him immediately. :eek:

Skyblazer said:
... All of his works exhale death, oblivion, a morbid ode to nothingness.

Indeed, and it was difficult in the late '70s, early '80s to explain, why I had his posters in my room.
But they were and are art ! For me great art ! ... although I don't pin them on the wall anymore.

May he rest in peace !

Jemiba said:
Skyblazer said:
... All of his works exhale death, oblivion, a morbid ode to nothingness.

Indeed, and it was difficult in the late '70s, early '80s to explain, why I had his posters in my room.
But they were and are art ! For me great art ! ... although I don't pin them on the wall anymore.

May he rest in peace !

H.R. Giger's paintings and sculpture were both grotesque and beautiful. In addition to occult themes, Giger's work often had sexual themes making it inappropriate for all audiences.

Giger was a real genius, whatever. RIP

R.I.P .... found on a good friend's facebook site ! ;)

Attachments

• RIP.jpg
    RIP.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 94
http://jalopnik.com/hr-geiger-once-designed-a-batmobile-1576018340

A sad news :( Giger's art was very original.
Thanks for the link to the batmobile.

Triton said:
...Giger's work often had sexual themes making it inappropriate for all audiences.

True for Aubrey Beardsley and other artists, too. Degenerated art ? ::) A danger for our youth ?

Justo Miranda said:
mentally unbalanced person...
... like Vincent van Gogh maybe ?

Justo Miranda said:
..has been a nightmare for the good SF

The Alien-movies generally are classified as "SF/horror", so nightmares were intended.
And they were better made, than lots of other movies in this category, I think. SF and
horror are oftem mixed up, just see "I'm Legend", or all those movies, looking so funny
today, like "Formicula" or "Godzilla".

It's hard, nearly impossible to tell "good" from "bad" with regards to art. It's just possible
to say "I like it" or "I don't lilke it".

Mentally unbalanced individuals have frequently taken refuge in the world of art. Hitler was one of them.
They are usually margined by the dynamics of the system.... van Gogh sold just one painting in his whole life!
But, ocassionally someone needs an specially toxic product to attack the established paradigm and has to go and look for it at the bottom of the dump.
Before Ridley Scott received the assignment to direct Alien, a great number of SF followers perceived the future as something positive.... Afterwards, their perception of the future changed to something that better may never arrive.
Thank you Mr. Giger

Justo Miranda said:
Mentally unbalanced individuals have frequently taken refuge in the world of art.

And politics.

Before Ridley Scott received the assignment to direct Alien, a great number of SF followers perceived the future as something positive.... Afterwards, their perception of the future changed to something that better may never arrive.

Not sure I agree on the whole. "Alien" was a product of the late 1970's... the decade that had previously given the world a whole lot of dystopia: "Logans Run," "A Boy and His Dog," "Silent Running," "THX 1138," "A Clockwork Orange," "Colossus: The Forbin Project," "Westworld," "Futureworld," "Omegaman," a bunch of crappy "Planet of the Apes" sequels, "Soylent Green," "Z.P.G.," "Zardoz," "Death Race 2000," "Rollerball," "The Stepford Wives," "Damnation Alley," "Wizards," "Invasion of the Body Snatchers," "Mad Max" and the Carter administration.

"Alien" arrived long after sci-fi had started to turn downer. What it did do, for sure, was to make the future look realistically *terrible.* Most of the other the-future-is-gonna-suck movies tended to look like "Logans Run," with a dystopia set in something shiny. Or else they looked low budget, or looked *meh.* "Alien," like "Star Wars," was one of those few movies of the era where you could tell that the people involved *really* put a lot of effort into making it look both realistic and downright creepy.

Degenerated art?

Attachments

• Art.jpg
    Art.jpg
    485.3 KB · Views: 73
  • Art-1.jpg
    Art-1.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 69
  • Art-2.jpg
    Art-2.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 66
  • Art-3.jpg
    Art-3.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 68
  • Art-4.jpg
    Art-4.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 8
Justo Miranda said:
Degenerated art?

Funny, since you put A.Hitler on your 'mentally unbalanced' list..

& yet he approved of a 'degenerate' art exhibition, & was happy to sell the exhibits to foreigners - for profit..

Orionblamblam said:
.. the Carter administration.

Amazing how people forget, Carter inherited a mess created by the mediocrity of Ford and the malfeasance of Nixon.

It should be added that Carter also suffered from rotten luck and that his successors have made him look a lot better than he did in 1981. Be it Bush II's involving of the United States in the quagmires of Afghanistan and Iraq or Obama's mishandling of health care.

"Alien" arrived long after sci-fi had started to turn downer. What it did do, for sure, was to make the future look realistically *terrible.* Most of the other the-future-is-gonna-suck movies tended to look like "Logans Run," with a dystopia set in something shiny. Or else they looked low budget, or looked *meh.* "Alien," like "Star Wars," was one of those few movies of the era where you could tell that the people involved *really* put a lot of effort into making it look both realistic and downright creepy.

Star Wars, realistic? Yeah, loved those X-wings and Tie Fighters dogfighting while the visible laser bolts are just so real... :eek:

Alien was gritty and down-to-Earth (if I can mix my metaphors) but again, not terribly realistic. The computers were already out of date by the time the movie was made while the idea of shipping a million tons of crude oil across the galaxy was to say the least, a tad uneconomic...

Uuh, we quickly reached a discussion about Hitlers mental balance and the Nixon/Ford/
Carter eras and I must admit, that I'm the one who's guilty, because of mentioning degenerated art.

I seriously apologise for this mistake, I should have known the result from the start ! :-[

Please, let's stop political discussion and debates about H.R. Gigers mental state, too !
Not appropriate when faced with the death of someone, liked or disliked, who influenced
art and people !

Status
Not open for further replies.