Grumman Model 303E

archipeppe

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
The "father" of the actual F-14 "Tomcat".

Single tail, extra fins (partially retracteable), e simplified canopy.
It appeared in a mock-up form during 1969, just before that Grumman was awarded with the F 14 contract.

Lenght: 19,2 mt
Wingspan: 19,15 mt (unswept) - 11,46 mt (swept)
Height: 4,88 mt
Weapons: 1 Vulcan cannon and 4 AIM-7 "Sidewinder" missiles.

If entered in service we could attend such slightly different version of "Top Gun" movie....

Attachments

• Grumman 303E.jpg
    Grumman 303E.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 767
I've seen the drawings of the 303 series before. It's nice to see them rendered in full color. With the bigger ventral fins, it looks a bit more like a Veritech fighter from Macross.

Thanks for your effort Archipeppe
Gives a good perspective of what could have been

Regards
Pioneer

Jschmus said:
I've seen the drawings of the 303 series before. It's nice to see them rendered in full color. With the bigger ventral fins, it looks a bit more like a Veritech fighter from Macross.

The VF-1 in Macross is known as the Valkyrie (intentionally named after the XB-70); Veritech was the name that the VF-1 (an a few other mecha) was given when Macross was combined with Sothern Cross and Mospeada to make Robotech. :)

any chance of finding a large ( or small , ı don't care ) 3 view of the Varitek ? Now this is how it sounds in Turkish , it was at the at the time when the national TV network became full colour and it really was an impressive show for the teens of my age .

Very nice, archipeppe.

r16 said:
any chance of finding a large ( or small , ı don't care ) 3 view of the Varitek ? Now this is how it sounds in Turkish , it was at the at the time when the national TV network became full colour and it really was an impressive show for the teens of my age .

Try this: http://www.xs4all.nl/~ptn/Veritech/valkyrie_gallery.html

I've done some Valkyrie fantasy art, if anyone is interested. Probably off topic here, but I could post it in The Bar, I suppose...

ı like the f-14 design , archipeppe's design/illustration starts to grow on you ; and my attention on the family would improve even further if somebody did an aircraft only VF-1 , that is to say real ; the cutaway ı have found on the link provided by Robert made me ask "what if this was scanned from Air International ?"

thanks everybody and looking for forward to both F-14 and VF-1 illustrations .

VINTAGE RARE EARLY DESIGN (BRASS?) METAL F-14 CARRIER PLACEMENT MODEL

Attachments

• s-l1600 (1).jpg
    s-l1600 (1).jpg
    508.9 KB · Views: 164
  • s-l1600 (3).jpg
    s-l1600 (3).jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 91
  • s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    307.3 KB · Views: 86
  • s-l1600 (4).jpg
    s-l1600 (4).jpg
    295.8 KB · Views: 79
  • s-l1600 (2).jpg
    s-l1600 (2).jpg
    765.9 KB · Views: 155
VINTAGE RARE EARLY DESIGN (BRASS?) METAL F-14 CARRIER PLACEMENT MODEL

Interesting. I think this is not quite 303-E but more like the very early 303-60. But the tailfin tips should fold down, not up, so the wings can sweep over the tails. See the drawings in this thread for comparison.

https://www.secretprojects.co.uk/threads/f-14-tomcat.8461/

Last edited:
I think that the wing should be swpet in its most angled position and then only the tailplane folded (up look the way it really should according to the model plastic cuttings).