Green Mace

Avimimus said:
I wounder what such a system would do with modern ammunition or even terminally guided/correct rounds? It could be an interesting counter to cruise-missiles on a naval platform for instance.

Well, if OTO Melara can get it to work with the 76mm Strales system, 127mm should be easy.

PaulMM (Overscan) said:
I think he'd rather everyone else bought a copy of his book, personally ;D

Of course, but it's been out for more than a year now so here's a waffer-theeen photo of the lethal confetti producer.

Chris

Attachments

• Green_Mace_wee.gif
    Green_Mace_wee.gif
    94 KB · Views: 446
Thanks, Chris. I was wondering if you had the three/four view drawing that picture was based on? I'd like to have a stab at scratch building a model in 1/35 scale and none of the various pictures available really show sufficient detail. It would make an impressive beast on the shelf.

CJGibson said:
PaulMM (Overscan) said:
I think he'd rather everyone else bought a copy of his book, personally ;D

Of course, but it's been out for more than a year now so here's a waffer-theeen photo of the lethal confetti producer.

Chris

Wow, cool, & it really looks like somekinda 'wonder-waffer' machinen-flak device!

(Sorry, fellas, couldn't help it..)

I saw the Green Mace at Firepower Museum in Woolwich this afternoon. Its in "Building 41" housing a number of prototypes that never got off the ground.

I believe many of the items were previously at other museums (the other RA museum - The Rotunda) that were closed and have ended up at Woolwich as it is the only area big enough to house them. (building 41 is one of the old depots from the Munitions days)

They aren't spending any money on the building as it is just a storage facility, and the museum itself is closing in 2016. All the military and munitions buildings in Woolwich will soon be apartment blocks.

The large items such as Green Mace will be taken to Larkhill (RA headquarters in Wiltshire) between now and the 2016 closure date so if you want to see it get down asap.

Building 41 is closed off (as someone previously mentioned) but if you ask a member of staff there should always be someone who will open it up and let you walk round, or if you are lucky a Volunteer can give you a tour. Many of the Volunteers themselves are ex-Royal Artillery so can give you an interesting and informative tour. The Museum is open Tuesday to Saturday (closed Sunday & Monday) and I would recommend going on Saturday as there are more Volunteers and less MOD staff who can be a bit sniffy about going in this area.