"Gravity"

Haven't seen it yet, but it sounds like Best Picture material. I'm sure there are some "er what" moments related to the fictional sequence of events, but I'm approaching it like I approached Rush. I was then and am now a big motorsports fan, so I knew the Hunt and Lauda stories well. I had to put aside the known history and such things as the reuse of Brands Hatch for at least three other tracks to enjoy the movie, and enjoy it I did. As Niki said, "it's not a documentary", and neither is Gravity. Wife's away, looks like a matinee for me.

George Allegrezza said:
it sounds like Best Picture material.

Dunno about that. There's no Certain Brand Of Politics in the movie, nor people making monumentally bad decisions. Nobody screws themselves up on drugs, nor are there self-destructive freaks Bravely Struggling Against Prejudice or any such. There's no Big Message. Heck, there's not a single complaint about how evil corporations are! It's just a damned good movie.

If it doesn't garner awards for effects and cinematography and best actress, then we'll know it's time that Hollywood needs to fold up and be replaced by someplace more dignified, like the Jersey Shore or Las Vegas.

Even my GF noticed that it's strange that 'all this stuff' floating at one orbit, but graphic experience is astounding. The last movie that expressed me so much was Prometheus.
Go see it at IMAX 3D.

Saw it last night, one of the best realistic space movies ever made. Strange premise ( missile strike against a satellite causing this high velocity debris that orbits over and over?) ISS, Chinese, and Russian stations destroyed not to mention the loss of life. I think if this really happened would it be a $100 to $300 billion disaster that would probably end the civilian space program for awhile at least.

I had mixed experience
it's Solid action disaster movie in style like Irvin Allen.
but the Spaceflight freak in me vomit in rage...

too much logical errors, ignoring Newton,
bizarre Hardware stuff ( for sake of Scrip, not Realism)
and that Noise and crash, oh that is the soundtrack ?

If you love "Apollo 13" and "2001 Odyssey in Space"
don't look Gravity !
if you like Michael Bay movie "Armageddon" , stampede the cinema...

Yes, several errors with regards to physics, but my son wasn't interested to discuss them later .... ;D
But for sure, it's a movie, which made the annoying wearing of the 3D-glasses most worthwhile !
Glad to have seen it in the cinema, instead of waiting for the DVD version later .

Michel Van said:

... you'll love "Gravity."

And you'll see a much better movie in "Gravity."

Jeez, ain't no pleasin' some fellers.

Much as I love "2001," it's friggen' *boring.*

On the Critique of Science in Film

What few people recognize is that science experts don't line up to critique Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs or Man of Steel or Transformers or The Avengers. These films offer no premise of portraying a physical reality. Imagine the absurdity of me critiquing the Lion King: "Lions can't talk. And if they could, they wouldn't be speaking English. And Simba would have simply eaten Pumba early in the film."
To "earn" the right to be criticized on a scientific level is a high compliment indeed.

Commentary_NDT.jpg

I really enjoyed it.

The 3D was awesome, completely absorbing. It felt like you were actually in space.

Some liberties taken with science, sure. But a great experience.

After this, I hope I never have to watch another movie where the spacecraft make "space noise", turn like airplanes, leave the engines on all the time and have magical gravity generators inside.

Gravity sets a whole new standard in realism for space movies. Go see it in IMAX 3D with a DLP projector, THX audio, custom Polaroid glasses if you have'em, and the best seat in the theater (center x center). Do NOT wait for the DVD!

Orionblamblam said:
Michel Van said:

... you'll love "Gravity."

And you'll see a much better movie in "Gravity."

Jeez, ain't no pleasin' some fellers.

Much as I love "2001," it's friggen' *boring.*

Philistine.

Has anyone seen Europa Report? It was another semi-realistic space movie but set on a manned mission to the moon Europa.

I took Circle-5's advice, 3D IMAX, centre x centre and thoroughly enjoyed it. In fact I might have to go back with Mrs CJ, who has moved from "Not my cup of tea" to "Looks interesting"

I've never been a fan of 3D, but this one works.

Chris

Initially, I liked the visuals, but found the obvious impossibilties got in the way..

The big surprise for me was my reaction when it was over and the lights went up: My first thought was "Suit check, lets get the capsule squared away!". So all the time I was thinking "no way, they'd be dead" - "that would never happen" etc, some part of me was clearly already up there in orbit, thoroughly taken in by it all..

Now I'm looking for a theatre with a bigger screen to go & see it again.