Gluhareff-Sikorsky "Dart"

hesham

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
My dears,

I heard that Gluhareff was designed a several delta wing fighters
to USAF and NACA,can anybody confirm that information ?.

hesham said:
My dears,
I heard that Gluhareff was designed a several delta wing fighters
to USAF and NACA,can anybody confirm that information ?.
The Gluhareff Dart's 3-view is in the booklet "Unknown No.3", sold at http://www.luft46.com/rd/rdreams.html
(view from below on the cover in that site)

Unknown No.3

Anybody can post a pic of the Gluhareff fighter?. Who's Mr Gluhareff?.

Anybody can post a pic of the Jet Thunderbolt project?

Thanks a lot

Dear friend,

The Gluhareff fighter is illustrated in the WaffenArsenal band 102 on page 42.
(German version)
'Überschalljäger Lippisch P13a und Versuchsgleiter DM-1'

Michael Gluhareff was a Russian engineer who fled via Finland to the U.S in 1924.
He worked for Igor Sikorsky and became chief of design for Vought-Sikorsky in 1935.
His work on tailless aircraft designs "arrow tip" as he called it is described in
"Lippisch,Gluhareff and Jones: The emergence of the Delta Planform
and the Origins of the Swept Wing in the United States" by Richard P.Hallion.
in Aerospace Historian of March 1979.

pometablava said:
Unknown No.3

Anybody can post a pic of the Gluhareff fighter?. Who's Mr Gluhareff?.

Anybody can post a pic of the Jet Thunderbolt project?

Thanks a lot

Hi pometeblava!

As always, I hope this posting works!

Here is a top view (in colour) of the Gluhareff Dart.
SOURCE: UNKNOWN! (3)
J. Miranda & P. Mercado
Illustration by J. Miranda

Chuck

Attachments

• Gluhareff Dart.JPG
    Gluhareff Dart.JPG
    91.7 KB · Views: 1,160
Hi!

Here's another illustration of the Gluhareff Dart from the same source.

Chuck

Attachments

• Gluhareff Dart,.JPG
    Gluhareff Dart,.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 1,297
Hi!

Here's one last illustration of the Gluhareff Dart.

Chuck

Attachments

• GluhareffDart.JPG
    GluhareffDart.JPG
    140.5 KB · Views: 1,015
Please see attached some stuff from
-Aerospace Historian , march 1979
-Patent No 2.511.502

And three speculative drawings by myself
Wingspan 20' , Lenght 26'6" , Engine 2500 hp Chrysler XIV-2220
SOURCE GRADING 4
See also http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,183.15.html

Attachments

• Escanear0003.jpg
    Escanear0003.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 294
  • Escanear0002.jpg
    Escanear0002.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 340
  • Escanear0001.jpg
    Escanear0001.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 323
  • Escanear.jpg
    Escanear.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 325
  • Escanear0005.jpg
    Escanear0005.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 570
  • Escanear0004.jpg
    Escanear0004.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 641
My Grandfather spent his whole life from 19 years old to retirement working on aircraft and mainly with Sikorsky.
He won every award possible from the 1920's until 1960's..also my Great Uncle Serge worked at Sikorsky as well as my Father Alex and Uncle Eugene Gluhareff.

I am in the process of doing a website dedicated to grandfathers life work, showing pictures, awards and several of his drawings.
it will be located at www.sikorsky.ws
this will be avail for all to view in a couple weeks.

thanks

Betsy Gluhareff

This is good news to start the weekend with..
Unbuilt projects enthusiasts will already eagerly looking forward I suppose.
Success!

With admiration to your family - thanks for finding us and best regards from Russia...

Hi guys,
My Grandfathers website is up and running with pictures, drawings and a small bio.
I will be adding more drawings and prints as I recieve them from the old archives and files.
The people at Sikorksy will be donating some photos and drawings from their files this week also.
PLEASE sign the guest book so I know Grandfathers friends remember him and visited the site.
if ANYONE has a pic or drawing or info they would like to add to the site PLEASE contact me asap.

[link dead - Admin] www.sikorsky.ws

Betsy Gluhareff

Some of you remember Micheal Gluhareff the Russian inventor who helped build Sikorksy into a world leader and was a major force in the first working helicopter...Invented "The Dart" ect....
if you do please help pay respects by visiting the new website dedicated to his memory at
www.sikorsky.ws and sign the guest book

Thanks

Betsy Gluhareff

Done! Thank you for launching this site!

This link has been hijacked and takes you to some wretched spam video on YouTube.

What a shame! Any news as to what the Gluhareff/Sikorsky website has become? Does anyone still have contact with the family?

just found this link accidentally, i dunno if you guys are familiar with it, its called “Dart” Gluhareff configuration

http://alternathistory.org.ua/dart-gluhareff-neveroyatnyi-istrebitel-mikhaila-glukhareva-proekt-ssha-1937-39g

Several topics merged.

Hamza, please think of using the forum's search engine before starting a new topic!

And a transport patent.

Attachments

• US2511502-3.png
    US2511502-3.png
    70.3 KB · Views: 350
Found this at: http://www.airpages.ru/dc/german_influence.shtml

http://www.airpages.ru/dc/german_influence_03s.jpg

I stress the title ‘german influence’ is not mine but anyway, the caption text (as rendered via Google translate) runs thus:

“1. Schematic of the experimental aircraft "Arrow" design A. Moskalev, built and tested in 1937, "Arrow" was to design an aerodynamic analogue Moskalev fighter "Sigma".
2. Draft a fighter-interceptor, developed on the company Sikorski M. Glukhareva [Gluhareff] in 1939-1941.
3. Scheme of LP-13 fighter, 1945
4. missile destroyer Scheme K-15 KA Kalinin, 1937
5. Scheme BI aircraft Cheranovskii, 1944”

I'm not sure how accurate that caption is of course.

Attachments

• german_influence_03s.jpg
    german_influence_03s.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 297
What a shame! Any news as to what the Gluhareff/Sikorsky website has become? Does anyone still have contact with the family?
I am able to contact his granddaughter Irena. She was hoping to reignite (pardon the expression) the tip-jet 20 lb. pressure jet engine with a new design, but I'm pretty sure there wasn't enough interest in it to keep things alive. I've spoken with a few people who knew Gene...shame I didn't get the chance. Kevin Hambsch

Hi KHambsch,

if you can get this,please we want to see,and if there is anther
Projects or drawings,we would like that.

Hi KHambsch,

if you can get this,please we want to see,and if there is anther
Projects or drawings,we would like that.
Hi Hesham, More on Gluhareff Dart or Pressure Jet engine? I found Justo's description to be quite detail. Re the pressure jet engine, it was designed for the cord-end-tip of the main rotor(s) for helicopters. I have an online (axial) version that I designed...wool be putting it in the propulsion section soon.
Regards, Kevin Hambsch

Thank you for these. Tricycle configuration, so very neat. Lots of pilot visibility ?

Hopefully, the under-wing 'tails' were reinforced with skids against 'Rotation' oopsies, per similar ventral pads on modern passenger aircraft...

That lonnnng driveshaft may have proved problematic, engine access 'interesting'...

Um, did they consider pilot escape, given those 'mixmaster' blades lurking ??

My Grandfather spent his whole life from 19 years old to retirement working on aircraft and mainly with Sikorsky.
He won every award possible from the 1920's until 1960's..also my Great Uncle Serge worked at Sikorsky as well as my Father Alex and Uncle Eugene Gluhareff.

I am in the process of doing a website dedicated to grandfathers life work, showing pictures, awards and several of his drawings.

thanks

Betsy Gluhareff
My great grandfather Roger W Griswold II worked with your grandfather on this project. So crazy to be discovering this on the internet and finding these forums. Attached is an excerpt from a book on NASA’s contributions to aeronautics.

Attachments

• C5A0EC7D-12CA-4DC7-85CC-171356DA54B9.png
    C5A0EC7D-12CA-4DC7-85CC-171356DA54B9.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 55
  • A4EB8908-8781-4B1E-982C-91F4C1073769.png
    A4EB8908-8781-4B1E-982C-91F4C1073769.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 49

thanks

Betsy Gluhareff
My great grandfather Roger W Griswold II worked with your grandfather on this project. So crazy to be discovering this on the internet and finding these forums. Attached is an excerpt from a book on NASA’s contributions to aeronautics.
Both volumes of the NASA book are available as free downloads from NASA:

thanks

Betsy Gluhareff

Nice Info,and welcome aboard Tgris.