Global Military Spending - NEWS ONLY

The first to make a 180° turnaround was Germany. Just four days after Russia’s invasion began, Chancellor Olaf Scholz announced his government would ramp up its defense spending in 2022 alone by €100 billion ($112 billion) taking defense spending from 1.53% of GDP to above 2%.

That is the figure recommended by NATO estimated to have been only met in 2021 by the US, Greece (3.82%), Croatia (2.79%), the United Kingdom (2.29%), Estonia (2.28%), Latvia (2.27%), Poland (2.10%), Lithuania, (2.03%), Romania (2.02%) and France (2.01%), according to NATO statistics. (That Germany had not met that threshold was a major political sticking point during the Trump administration, leading to tensions between Washington and Berlin.)

To match Cold War spending in real terms, you would probably need to. 1983 - 6.81% GDP, 2019 - 3.41% GDP (or 3.1% according to second source).

1652989674538.png

Last edited:
The study is 1960-2022 I believe most of us understand not to include WWII spending for historical comparison
I realise that and did go to the link before commenting. It is just that the graph shown in the post is misleading.

Re: Global Military Spending - SIPRI Report

How are they *not?* The only thing keeping the Saudis and the West from being outright enemies is oil: we want what they've got, they want our money.
What's that saying - you can't be a pimp and a prostitute......

Goes for my country to mate:(

Regards
Pioneer