German WW2 Rettin-M on-carriage radar

Wurger

ACCESS: Top Secret
Senior Member
Joined
25 October 2007
Messages
1,218
Reaction score
596
I`ve uncovered this image from a 1946 soviet report on german radar. It relates to the "Rettin-M" AA radar, installed in a Flakvierling. It was one of the few ( the only? ) on-carriage AA radar tried by Germany in WW2. There are evidence of a "Rettin-L", which I assume to mean "Land". Therefore, this radar was to be used in ground stations.
 

Attachments

  • Rettin1.gif
    Rettin1.gif
    114.6 KB · Views: 503
the "Waffenrevue 36" seems to have something about the "Rettin", as it is mentioned as source here
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=187008.
A drawing and a scan of the description is posted there, too, see below. Translation of the short text:
"2 cm quadruple AA gun 38/43 "F" - Gun mount for 4 2 cm AA gun 38 with radar, two-men crew, development
of a triple-axis gun mount against air and sea surface targets, to be mounted on warships with radar <the latter
statement is a little bit ambigous, could mean, that this gun mount was for larger warships only, carrying a radar
by themselves, as early warning >
Development by Rheinmetall Borsig, with shiled.
On http://www.atlantikwall.info/radar/technik/flakziel.htm I found some data about the radar:
"Designation (old) FMG 46 <but stated for two other sets, too ! > code name "Rettin", frequenzy 3.300 MHz,
power 15kW, manufacturer AEG "
 

Attachments

  • m1.jpg
    m1.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 450
  • m2.jpg
    m2.jpg
    338 KB · Views: 482
Hi Jens,

thanks for answering. I was the one who started the thread, but without much added. I`ve posted it here since it is "naval".
 
Sorry, had no clue, that you was the one from the "Axis History Forum", although I thought, that you
may found it there. In his post "Alkali" mentioned the "Simplified drawing [of the ]land version from
Waffen Revue 36", but at least the description speaks of a shipmounted weapon only ! So it's quite
right here in this section.
 
There is another close-up photograph of the radar and its mounting in Ian Hogg's 'German Artillery of World War Two', but without any further details. It's nice to finally put some details to this intriguing idea.
 
It looks, flash suppressors on the barrels are cut in half, directing muzzle blast away from the aerial?

I can't tell if they're halved, or if the tips are just scalloped. Either way, it seems odd.
 
Placing muzzle brakes just in front of the radar aerial would be probably not the wisest idea in real life
But rather typically German's)

P.S. Russian sources call it specifically a "radar rangefinder", so as far as I could understood it was not able to actually search for target: it must be pointed through optical sight and locked, and most likely it could supply only range information (so no real blind-fire capability, just the more accurate range measurement).
 
Isn't it basically a GUNAR? Gun And Radar? Like the SPG-34 of the 3"/50 RF Mark 22 guns?
 
Just for Information:

The 3cm Flak with Rettin Radar is really just fantasy. I was inspired by the layout of the 2cm prototype.

Gert
 
Hi again,

I have created the master parts for the fictitious 3cm Rettin configuration in 1:35 scale as a conversion set offered from Customscale and I also have built the model which has been found in the internet on Missing Lynx which also has been posted on the homepage of Customscale.

Nevertheless, the version using the 2cm Marine Flak was existing as a prototype.

During the last 10 years I have realized or at least have been involved in lots of kits or conversion sets in 1:35 scale with the focus on German rockets and AA weapons as the Enzian (different versions including launcher), Feuerlilie, Rheinbote, Hs 117 Schmetterling with launcher (different versions), 2cm Gebirgsflak, 5,5cm Gerät 58, 5cm Flak Mk 214, Rheintochter I, II and III, Wasserfall C2W5 and C2W1 ...

Most of these projects took quite a lot of time for checking references and collection of pictures and scetches of the originals.

Just visit the website of Customscale

www.customscale.de

Gert
 
Last edited:

Similar threads

Back
Top Bottom