GAU-7 : Gun for the F-15

This is where all the felting operations took place, and the one building I wish I had documented before we gutted it for scrap. The combustible cases were made from a slurry of craft paper and nitrocellulose pulp that was coated onto forms, vacuumed, cured, resin dipped & then cured again - essentially making an explosive cardboard. There were enormous stainless steel tanks, pumps, slurry mixers, various mechanisms and all the controls for all of it when we got here. All this required an insane amount of water. There's a 200,000 gallon tank that fed this building alone. Between that and the 300,000 fire suppression tank, there were five well houses with 20hp submersible pumps, and an additional five wells drilled, but never used. There was a time when the small surrounding town got their water from Brunswick. The large ditch you see in the ground in front of the building was dug out as the expansion pond for drainage from manufacturing operations.
IMG_1229-50%25.JPG

This is just a shot of some of the lower buildings as seen from the hill with the charge press building. The two on the left were mostly receiving warehouses. I don't know the original purposes for the ones on the right, but they were being used in the 80's for various aircraft & mobile shelter parts plating. Some F117 work was done in that second building from the right in the early 80's. You can see the office building up on the left.

You can also see a little bit of the buildings up the hill back in the trees. That's where the really nasty stuff took place with the CS gas production.
IMG_1230-50%25.JPG

But wait - there's more! Some documentation & work instructions I scanned.

Phase IV technical proposal. Starts with "Section III" and I have no idea what sections 1 or 2 were.
http://crunchysuperman.freeservers.com/brunswick/GAU7A Phase IV.pdf

Operator work instructions for outer case felting.
http://crunchysuperman.freeservers.com/brunswick/outer case instructions.pdf

Air Force report after an attempt was made to switch from nitrocellulose to plastic for the outer case material. I didn't scan this one, but rather found it online during some investigations.
http://crunchysuperman.freeservers.com/brunswick/GAU-7A Brunswick.pdf

Fascinating - thanks!

Brunswick also made radomes and other "plastic" aircraft parts. Was this location strictly the ammunition?

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Are there any legible photos or technical information of the (competing?) GE 225 twin-barrel 25mm gun anywhere out there?

Fascinating - thanks!

Brunswick also made radomes and other "plastic" aircraft parts. Was this location strictly the ammunition?

Enjoy the Day! Mark

The first Brunswick plant local to me was originally recreation products only (bowling pins, pool tables, etc.). They built the facility on the farm in the early 60's as their first foray into defense work. Right around the time the 25mm project was cancelled, the first plant also transitioned into defense work, mainly radomes (which they still do to this day). Not long after, they built two more facilities near the first one for other defense projects and relegated the farm for plating operations to support the other 3 plants and also used many of the buildings for overflow storage. Brunswick sold all 4 plants to ATP in the early 90's and the farm facility was auctioned off at that time. Soon after, ATP was acquired by General Dynamics and plants 1-3 are still going strong today.

edit - didn't really answer the question

Aside from the 25mm project, I know they made illumination flares, grenade fuses, 2.75" rockets, and a lot of CS gas with various types of delivery systems. I also found a technical proposal for caseless tank rounds, but I don't know if it ever went any further than that.

Last edited:
View attachment 628444
From my forthcoming book:

25 mm GE-225: 25 x 137 ammunition.

The impressive combination of compact size, light weight and high rate of fire demonstrated by the Russian twin-barrel (Gast type) GSh-23 attracted General Electric's attention in the early 1980s. This prompted a design study focused on the standard 25 mm NATO ammunition. The resulting GE-225 was designed to be as modular and flexible as possible to suit it to different purposes, even a choice of externally-driven or gas-operated mechanisms.Overall length is 221 cm. The weight of 82 kg is impressive given the rate of fire of up to 2,500 rpm. Despite this promising performance, this went no further.

GE carried out an interesting comparison exercise between various different 25 mm gun configurations, both actual and proposed. The diagram (Chinn V page 372) illustrates the guns in the following table:

GUN TYPE BARRELS RoF WEIGHT rpm/kg

M242 Chain 1 500 119 4.2

Oerlikon KBA gas 1 600 112 5.4

Mauser Model E gas 1 900 103 8.7

GE 225 Gast 2 2,000 82 24

CHAG 225 rotary 2 2,000 112 18

GE 325 rotary 3 2,400 120 20

GAU-12 rotary 5 4,000 160* 25

Fascinating - thanks!

Enjoy the Day! Mark

The first Brunswick plant local to me was originally recreation products only (bowling pins, pool tables, etc.). They built the facility on the farm in the early 60's as their first foray into defense work. Right around the time the 25mm project was cancelled, the first plant also transitioned into defense work, mainly radomes (which they still do to this day). Not long after, they built two more facilities near the first one for other defense projects and relegated the farm for plating operations to support the other 3 plants and also used many of the buildings for overflow storage. Brunswick sold all 4 plants to ATP in the early 90's and the farm facility was auctioned off at that time. Soon after, ATP was acquired by General Dynamics and plants 1-3 are still going strong today.

edit - didn't really answer the question

Aside from the 25mm project, I know they made illumination flares, grenade fuses, 2.75" rockets, and a lot of CS gas with various types of delivery systems. I also found a technical proposal for caseless tank rounds, but I don't know if it ever went any further than that.
Thanks! I have a photo album of various aircraft related parts - radomes, fin tips, fairings and the like that were being produced by Brunswick at the time the album was put together. They are also listed on many of the McDonnell aircraft subassembly drawings for those items. Always nice to fill in the history blanks - thanks!

Enjoy the Day! Mark

This building contains the production line and presses for the forward & aft propellant charges. It appears that this line was added later to what was originally a generic work building. You can see the front half of the building is comprised of huge concrete "cubicles" whose walls go up through the roof. The ceiling & back walls were flimsy so that if you blew up, the blast went up & backwards while not spreading to the station next to you. Many of the buildings were made this way. The plywood awning enclosure was added to house the conveyor that moved the pressed & dried charges to the back of the building for further assembly. The exhaust stacks were added and those workrooms were turned into drying rooms to oven-cure the charges. You can see at the far end of the building that the roof of two of the "cubicles" have been enclosed. Those are where the elevators to the press hoppers are.
IMG_1233-50.JPG

This is the forward charge press. It's very difficult to get good pictures of these machines, as they take up every last inch of the stall where they were mounted.
IMG_1236-50.JPG

This is the elevator that delivered the powder to the hopper at the top of the press (the reason for the extended roof in the outside pic of the building). Note the conveyor on the right that moved the finished charge down the line.
IMG_1237-50.JPG

Control area for the charge press. You can see the machine through the glass a little bit. That glass is about 4 inches thick. Out of frame to the left is the control for the aft charge with a window looking through to a similar press room. Out of frame to my right is the conveyor moving all the finished charges down the line.
IMG_1239-50.JPG

As the charges came out of the presses, employees would apparently load them into those racks you see in that pile. They hang from the overhead conveyor that you can barely see in this shot. That tank would elevate and dip each rack before proceeding through the drying ovens.
IMG_1235-50%25.JPG

More of the conveyor. You can see the partially open shutter door coming out of the last oven room.
IMG_1234-50%25.JPG

Here's a closer shot of one of the press controls.
IMG_1240-50.JPG

Better shot of that dip tank entrance to the ovens.
rsz_img_20131001_182400_772.jpg
damn that's a lot of equipment. Did you try and sell any of it or was it basically junk by then?

This is where all the felting operations took place, and the one building I wish I had documented before we gutted it for scrap. The combustible cases were made from a slurry of craft paper and nitrocellulose pulp that was coated onto forms, vacuumed, cured, resin dipped & then cured again - essentially making an explosive cardboard. There were enormous stainless steel tanks, pumps, slurry mixers, various mechanisms and all the controls for all of it when we got here. All this required an insane amount of water. There's a 200,000 gallon tank that fed this building alone. Between that and the 300,000 fire suppression tank, there were five well houses with 20hp submersible pumps, and an additional five wells drilled, but never used. There was a time when the small surrounding town got their water from Brunswick. The large ditch you see in the ground in front of the building was dug out as the expansion pond for drainage from manufacturing operations.
IMG_1229-50%25.JPG

This is just a shot of some of the lower buildings as seen from the hill with the charge press building. The two on the left were mostly receiving warehouses. I don't know the original purposes for the ones on the right, but they were being used in the 80's for various aircraft & mobile shelter parts plating. Some F117 work was done in that second building from the right in the early 80's. You can see the office building up on the left.

You can also see a little bit of the buildings up the hill back in the trees. That's where the really nasty stuff took place with the CS gas production.
IMG_1230-50%25.JPG

But wait - there's more! Some documentation & work instructions I scanned.

Phase IV technical proposal. Starts with "Section III" and I have no idea what sections 1 or 2 were.
http://crunchysuperman.freeservers.com/brunswick/GAU7A Phase IV.pdf

Operator work instructions for outer case felting.
http://crunchysuperman.freeservers.com/brunswick/outer case instructions.pdf

Air Force report after an attempt was made to switch from nitrocellulose to plastic for the outer case material. I didn't scan this one, but rather found it online during some investigations.
http://crunchysuperman.freeservers.com/brunswick/GAU-7A Brunswick.pdf
Great post. I worked in the office building from 1972-1974. Did analyses on performance of all the R&D rounds fired. Have many interesting stories.