GAM-87A/AGM-48A Skybolt ALBM

If a suitable working stand off weapon - Skybolt, OR.1182 (Bristol X12 or Avro W.140) - had been available, would Polaris have still been bought at this time or would a switch to SSBN's have occured later?

There will still be the vulnerability issue with the manned bomber but a working system in place would have been hard for the Treasury not to pick up on.

The HMSO Polaris Project History has Mountbatten getting Rickover to accept an RN liaison officer in the SSBN/FBM SPO from (IIRC)1959, even as the USAF/RAF Joint ASR was tendered which became Skybolt, thus dishing unattainable UK-solo ASMs. Polaris went from concept to sea in 4 years. Compare and contrast with Blue Steel. Quite evidently FBM was where UK should be. We messed around with preserving the MBF because the platforms existed. Vulcan/Skybolt was to cover 1963-66; then Blue Streak, 1966-70; then Polaris. Blue Streak chop, April,1960, Skybolt December,1962; flurry of nonsense until Macmillan got the deal of the century, and agreed to fund the vessels extra to the "proper" RN.

"Treasury" has never cancelled a Defence Project. Or any other. Their desk officers ask sensible questions: does it work, is it worth it, do you want it instead of something else in a fixed budget? The sponsoring Minister backs another horse; or Cabinet chops the role.

I have seen a photo of a model of the Victor bomber (I think in Secret Projects
Bombers or a similar book) carrying four missiles which are described as Skybolts.
However, the models show have four fins immediately to the rear of the warhead, rather
than at the rear as on other Skybolts shown. Was this missile a Handley Page
artists licence version of Skybolt or a completely different version?

UK 75

Skybolt aerodynamic configuration changed a lot during development. Flight documented at least three variations, try and search "skybolt" in Flightglobal archives.

Skybolt

Thanks for the steer to the Flight archives.
I had a good trawl and did not find a version with
fins at the front only. I wonder if the model simply was
a Handley Page guess.

UK 75

Douglas Skybolt missile factory model. Not topping

Item description:
Factory desk model of the Douglas Skybolt ALBM. 11 in. long, . Excellent condition. Decals intact, no damaged, broken or repaired parts. Cart is metal with rubber tires. Tires are not split or cracked. Manufacturer unknown, possibly a Douglas in-house built model.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Douglas-Skybolt-missile-factory-model-Not-topping_W0QQitemZ290344110830QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4399db8aee&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Added from “Found on Ebay” thread

Attachments

• !BZQHBLQ!mk~$(KGrHgoOKj!EjlLmZDmvBKlvNIoN8!~~_12.jpg
    !BZQHBLQ!mk~$(KGrHgoOKj!EjlLmZDmvBKlvNIoN8!~~_12.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 97
  • !BZQH!,!!2k~$(KGrHgoOKjYEjlLmYLs0BKlvNFnZ-Q~~_12.jpg
    !BZQH!,!!2k~$(KGrHgoOKjYEjlLmYLs0BKlvNFnZ-Q~~_12.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 87
  • !BZQG-Ww!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKj8EjlLmWyi9BKlvM9)WKw~~_12.jpg
    !BZQG-Ww!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKj8EjlLmWyi9BKlvM9)WKw~~_12.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 86
  • !BZQG+pQCGk~$(KGrHgoOKj!EjlLm,WqpBKlvNCrrHw~~_12.jpg
    !BZQG+pQCGk~$(KGrHgoOKj!EjlLm,WqpBKlvNCrrHw~~_12.jpg
    31.8 KB · Views: 341
  • !BZQG87wBGk~$(KGrHgoOKikEjlLm,nRlBKlvM4MHr!~~_12.jpg
    !BZQG87wBGk~$(KGrHgoOKikEjlLm,nRlBKlvM4MHr!~~_12.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 374
Hello everyone. I have an old, 1/30 scale B-52H contractor display model, which needs to be refinished, and am looking for some 3-view illustrations of the early (roll-out) color scheme, preferably with GAM-87 Skybolts. See attached photo of model and examples of the color scheme. For some reason, nearly all B-52H illustrations show the later, all-gray paint job. Any relevant book references are welcomed, and high-def photos or illustrations too big to post here should probably go to my e-mail -- please send me a PM for address. Thank you all!

I realize the B-52 hasn't been a secret project for decades, so [moderator] please delete this topic if it is inappropriate.

John

Attachments

• B-52H 1:30 Model.jpg
    B-52H 1:30 Model.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 500
  • B-52H Barksdale Early.jpg
    B-52H Barksdale Early.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 471
  • B-52H Color Profile.jpg
    B-52H Color Profile.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 551
  • B-52H Rollout w:Skybolts.jpg
    B-52H Rollout w:Skybolts.jpg
    423.7 KB · Views: 542
Meteor Productions AKA Cutting Edge made decals for several different versions of the B-52H. They were made for the 1/72 Monogram B-52 kit, but his research was very good and they include painting instructions. It might be a good starting point. Sadly the company closed down right after these decals were made and they have become hard to find and pricey. Here is a link to see if anything looks a match.

http://www.hyperscale.com/2008/reviews/decals/ced72208preview_1.htm

That will be one beautiful BUFF with the paint and skybolts hanging down. Good luck!!

Dave

Thank you. It looks like CED72209 has some of what I need. I could just enlarge a scan of that sheet. Too bad Cutting Edge is out of business. I'll start looking around. Maybe someone took over their product line.

Wow! Just wow! Beautiful shots, Ryan. Thanks again!
Also, isn't "crazy researcher" a bit redundant? :)

I was looking at a Douglas model of the GAM-87 Skybolt.
Or maybe it was looking at me...

Attachments

• Skeyebolt.jpg
    Skeyebolt.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 127
This Vulcan B Mk.2 model was made by (or for) Avro, who shipped it from the U.K. to Douglas Aircraft / Santa Monica in 1960. Following cancellation of the Skybolt program shortly thereafter, it remained in the personal collection of Donald W. Douglas.

When I acquired it about 10 years ago, both missiles were lost, so I replaced them with a pair of original factory GAM-87s. However, removing the vintage Strategic Air Command insignia felt wrong, so I left them in U.S. markings. Hopefully, I will find a pair of original Skybolts in RAF markings.

The model is quite large (6-1/2 ft. span) and probably from the same vintage as the Vulcans in Barrington Bond's photo, above.

Attachments

• Avro Vulcan w-GAM-87Asml.jpg
    Avro Vulcan w-GAM-87Asml.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 188
What is the model made out of? What ever it is, it looks quite hefty. That stand must be quite strong to hold it on such a small connector, at that angle.

Good idea as the Skybolt ALBM program was fascinating to me. I'd love to see some documentation on that program. -SP

SP #1 Politics are in R.E.Neustadt, The Skybolt Crisis, Report to JFK, CUP, 1999 080143622.

UK commentators have flown the myth of US duplicity and worse, all Brit-centric assuming the 100 for RAF were crucial, not the 000s for SAC. But not so: McNamara inherited more arrows than his quiver could accommodate: he chopped B-70 Valkyrie, B-58B Hustler too, because the Counter-Force Mission was being cheaply met on B-52G/Hound Dog, and the Counter-Value Mission on SLBM/ICBM. At Nassau, 17/12/62 he offered the entire detritus to Macmillan to complete for/in UK (Avro was to be Sister Firm), who declined to take another man's cast-off.

With 4 of the final configuration:

(Boy would those be useful today. :'( )

Attachments

• 4 Skybolts.jpg
    4 Skybolts.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 544
Nice picture should dust off the blueprints for a nice conventional BGV for CPGS.

Attachments

• DWWlgnKVAAAH3ds.jpg
    DWWlgnKVAAAH3ds.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 699
So given the revelation of Kinzhal, im curious of we would see a form of revival of Skybolt. or maybe new form of SRAM.

stealthflanker said:
So given the revelation of Kinzhal, im curious of we would see a form of revival of Skybolt. or maybe new form of SRAM.

SRAM was retired years ago. SRAM 2 was killed on the alter of "The Peace Dividend". A 2-stage air-launched ATACMs or (something based on the Zombie derivative) might fit the bill in the short term.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    587.7 KB · Views: 402
sferrin said:
stealthflanker said:

SRAM was retired years ago. SRAM 2 was killed on the alter of "The Peace Dividend". A 2-stage air-launched ATACMs or (something based on the Zombie derivative) might fit the bill in the short term.
I posted on the X-51 thread why not an Roadrunner II booster with TBG front end. Done hypersonic strike missile

bobbymike said:
I posted on the X-51 thread why not an Roadrunner II booster with TBG front end. Done hypersonic strike missile

One thing we do not know is how far along Lockheed and Raytheon are with the TBG system. One indication could be that instead of waiting for the official DARPA program to demonstrate and then transition technology to the AF, the USAF, with the ARRW, is pursuing a tactical boost glide weapon from lockheed with DARPA adjusting its funding on account of the USAF program. This to me suggests that the USAF has determined that they can transition the tech earlier and faster.

SP #1 Politics are in R.E.Neustadt, The Skybolt Crisis, Report to JFK, CUP, 1999 080143622.

UK commentators have flown the myth of US duplicity and worse, all Brit-centric assuming the 100 for RAF were crucial, not the 000s for SAC. But not so: McNamara inherited more arrows than his quiver could accommodate: he chopped B-70 Valkyrie, B-58B Hustler too, because the Counter-Force Mission was being cheaply met on B-52G/Hound Dog, and the Counter-Value Mission on SLBM/ICBM. At Nassau, 17/12/62 he offered the entire detritus to Macmillan to complete for/in UK (Avro was to be Sister Firm), who declined to take another man's cast-off.
Hi Alertkin
Are you able to point me in the direction of your source: "SP #1 Politics are in R.E.Neustadt, The Skybolt Crisis, Report to JFK, CUP, 1999 080143622"? I am writing a book on the Cold War, and it appears to me your reference would be helpful to me. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom