FV600 Family

Yellow Palace

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Surprisingly, we don't seem to have a thread on the Saladin, Spartan and their relatives already.

The principal models are of course, and drawing reasonably heavily on AFV Weapons Profile No.27:
  • FV 601(A) - prototype armoured car with 40mm 'Pipsqueak' gun
  • FV 601(B) - prototype armoured car with 76mm L11
  • FV 601(C) - Saladin armoured car
  • FV 601(D) - Bundesgrenschutz armoured car without machine gun and changes to other equipment
  • FV 602 - proposed armoured command vehicle, cancelled by 1949
  • FV 603(A) - Saracen armoured personnel carrier
  • FV 603(B) - proposed unit & subunit command post, later redesignated FV 604
  • FV 603(C) - proposed ground-to-air communications vehicle, later abandoned
  • FV 604 - production armoured command vehicle
  • FV 605 - armoured ambulance based on FV 603(A), sometimes called FV 606 but this seems less likely
  • FV 610 - Royal Artillery battery command post with high roof
  • FV 611 - armoured ambulance based on FV 610
There are of course also the Stalwart load carrier and Salamander crash tender using the basic automotive components.

A couple of interesting concepts seem to have fallen by the wayside early on: a self-propelled gun mounting a 25-pounder with 260 degrees of traverse, which may have been an 8x8 derivative of the basic platform, and a recovery vehicle seem to have been planned.

Later, there was also apparently a study to put a 30mm RARDEN into a Saladin turret for export, which wasn't taken up. I've also seen a photograph (not sure where) of a Saladin carrying a new turret with a 90mm gun, presumably aimed at competing with the AML-90. A Saracen was also tried with a ZB.298 ground surveillance radar.

Long time later, but: Saladin with MECAR 90mm 46.
Many years ago, I was told a photograph or drawing of the 25pdr SP had been found in the Tank Museum libray, but I never did manage to get a copy (they were in the middle of reorganising storage, and it seemed to have disappeared again) 1697147674082.jpeg

Memory comes slowly these days, The SPG was based on the Saracen APC, which makes the layout easier to understand - I assume turret where the troop space is, with room for the driver in the 25pdr turret as Centurion version, but smaller.
I guess something like:

Attachments

• 1697229583804.jpeg
    1697229583804.jpeg
    634.7 KB · Views: 64