From the Huey to the Cobra: the intermediate designs

luedo34

The worst is yet to come!
Reaction score
Hi there,
I am desparetly looking for images of the BellD245 Combat Reconnaissance Helicopter . All I can find are the little pics at aviastar.org.
Anyone who has got bigges and better images?
I am also interested in pics of the D255 and D262 attack helikopter designs.
Thanks a lot !

There is a model of D-245 on Putnam's Bell Aircraft page 150.
I have very schematic profiles from D-253/D-255 and D-261 at The Bell Textron Helicopter Story, page 202.

I'll scan and post it later.

The only pics of the D-255 Iroquois Warrior and D-262 mock-ups I have are here below. I have also added a pic of a D-280 model, although I believe all this material already exists elsewhere on this forum.

some pics replaced with a higher quality scans

Attachments

• bell_d-255.jpg
    bell_d-255.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 704
  • D-262.JPG
    D-262.JPG
    49.4 KB · Views: 691
  • Bell D-262.jpg
    Bell D-262.jpg
    326.1 KB · Views: 485
  • Bell D-262 3v.jpg
    Bell D-262 3v.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 460
  • Bell D-280.jpg
    Bell D-280.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 83
pometablava said:
There is a model of D-245 on Putnam's Bell Aircraft page 150.
I have very schematic profiles from D-253/D-255 and D-261 at The Bell Textron Helicopter Story, page 202.

I'll scan and post it later.

My dear Pometablava,

can you tell us about D-253 ?.

Hesham, I'm sorry but I can't add anything more than this schematic drawing. From the drawing, my thought is the D-253 should be an early D-255 iteration not very different from the latter.

Attachments

• Bell D253-D255.png
    Bell D253-D255.png
    17.6 KB · Views: 48
  • Bell D-261.png
    Bell D-261.png
    17.8 KB · Views: 561
Thank you for your explanation my dear Pometablava.

I found this project on here while looking for something else & did a little web surfing & didn't find much else. It was supposed to be a twin engined wide-body (or multi-place as I saw elsewhere) Cobra. While I do see a turret & I think winglets for weapons in the pic, wouldn't a UH-1N be essentially the same thing?? Is that maybe why the D-280 wasn't pursued since it would be a made-over UH-1N? Any other info on the 280?

There is no need to start a new topic every time you have a question to ask...

Please use the existing threads to ask your questions if you feel they are related to what's already there!!!

Topic name changed.

Well, I didn't want it lost in the other deeper threads, that's why I didn't feel it was related to what's already there, unless a previous topic has more detail than an honorable mention & I overlooked it. Besides that, since it's apparently devolped from the Cobra, I personally don't see how it fits going from the Huey to the Cobra.... Apologies.

Stargazer2006 said:
There is no need to start a new topic every time you have a question to ask...

Please use the existing threads to ask your questions if you feel they are related to what's already there!!!

Topic name changed.

Back
Top Bottom