Jim Bede's round-the-world aircraft BD-2

AeroFranz

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I found mention of an early design by Jim Bede that he was planning to use on a round the world record attempt. It was a converted Schweizer sailplane, with a Continental engine in the nose and a "wet" wing. He never got the record, as we all know, but he did perform a 70-hour flight before being forced down by an electrical failure. I was surprised there wasn't more litterature on the subject.
I am attaching a picture from Aviastar.org
I was wondering if forum members had some technical data to share beyond what (little) is available with a google search.
I am also curious to know how putting the engine in the nose did not upset the cg range. Did Bede extend the rear fuselage or something? ???

Attachments

• bede_bd-2 Love One.jpg
    bede_bd-2 Love One.jpg
    17.4 KB · Views: 110

walter

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Dear Aerofranz,
The BD-02 Love One (Low Orbit Very Efficient One) was designed by James Bede and built by the Javelin Aircraft Corporation. The aircraft was intended to perform the first un-refuelled flight around the world and World Flight, Inc. was founded to co-ordinate and finance the flight.
As you already mentioned the basic structure came from a Schweizer 2-32 glider and equipment included an autopilot. Take-off was done from a jettinosable 3-wheel trolley. The first flight was made 11 March 1967. Although the world flight was not made, the aircraft established several FAI records including the flight of 70 hours and 15 minutes and a flight covering 8.924 miles non-stop. During 1980-1981 the aircraft was modified by Javelin and renamed as the Mullens Phoenix and under that name made a 10,070 miles non-stop flight in 73 hours and 2 minutes (5-8 December 1981).
Engine was a 225hp Continental IO-360-C. Wingspan 63ft 4in, length 27ft 4in and height 6ft 10in.
cruise 205 mph, ceiling 20,000ft and theoretical range 28,500 miles
Regards, Walter

AeroFranz

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Thanks for the additional info. I was wondering about the landing gear, since in the picture i have it looked like a trolley (a la Me-163).
I wonder how Jim Bede planned to stay awake long enough to complete the flight. 70 hours is amazing in itself, and for their Voyager flight, Rutan and Yeager could at least take shifts. I assume an autopilot would have been required.

WESTLAKEDREAMS

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Interesting photo. I have read of 2-32s being modded for many high-efficency projects. I will dig through my files when I can. I just registered. It looks like a good site.