French Hypersonic Programs

GTX

All hail the God of Frustration!!!
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
beyondthesprues.com
Hi folks,

I'm looking for information on the French Hypersonic vehicles/concepts that may come under the ONERA Promethee or similar high mach research programs. I'm specifically looking for further information on the vehicle/concept depicted in the picture below:

Somewhere here I have a conference paper detailing it but for the life of me I cannot find it right now, thus I am seeking your help.

Regards,

Greg

Attachments

• mars.jpg
    mars.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 498
Hi

There

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,465.0.html

is this ;)

http://www.onera.fr/conferences/ramjet-scramjet-pde/

[quote author=GTX]I'm looking for information on the French Hypersonic vehicles/concepts that may come under the ONERA Promethee or similar high mach research programs. I'm specifically looking for further information on the vehicle/concept depicted in the picture below:
[/quote]

This is the Onera Scorpion Mach 6 scramjet cruise missile demonstrator of the 70s.

But why do you think this is SCORPION?
LO features like edge alignment scream of '00s or even '90s

Attachments

• 000659144_illustration_large.png
    000659144_illustration_large.png
    680.8 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Well, the image is used on the title page, but the document deals with a wide variety of projects and the drawing of Scorpion, if it is at all accurate, clearly shows a different vehicle. While there are similarities, it is stubbier in overall configuration and the aft end has a very different nozzle (conventional in Scorpion, external ramps in the other missile).

Last but not least, the C in Scorpion stands for Cruciforme (referring to the intake, if I understand correctly) which the vehicle in the colour photograph clearly isn't. The wind tunnel model image is too poor to discern it, but this AIAA paper contains one which is:

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 100
But why do you think this is SCORPION?
LO features like edge alignment scream of '00s or even '90s
This image was recently featured in a presentation as a fourth generation hypersonic cruise missile.

Attachments

• FDMmrubXoAYx8OA.jpg
    FDMmrubXoAYx8OA.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 91
During the studies for the ASN4G there were apparently two different concepts being pitted against each other. One came from MBDA and was called Prométhée, the other came from ONERA and was called Camosis. The first one favoured an high speed approach (in the hypersonic range), while the second went for "slower" speeds (mach 5) but with more efforts on reduced signature.
My educated guess is that this image depicts Camosis (or a previous demonstrator for the concept, called Mars).

Found some more info about it.

Here is a review of ONERA's scientific and technical activities from 1997 and, on page 156, the MARS (Missile Aerobie a Role Strategique) is described as a concept for reconnaissance (?).
I haven't read the review in full, so there might (or not) be a bit more about it.

Onera Mars - page 156.jpg

Attachments

• M8missile1999-2001.JPG
    M8missile1999-2001.JPG
    31.5 KB · Views: 80
Seems as though this might shed some light on possible concepts of operation for the Chinese WZ-8.

Of course the original image posted in this thread by GTX is called "mars.jpg", so as far as I'm concerned that settles the matter.
Yes. I'm convinced and I have corrected my files. Thanks all.
Anyone has a view of Scorpio better than that in Trident's post 6 above?

Sized for a launch platforms like Rafale, AMM (Aerospatiale Matra Missiles)/ONERA generic Mach 8 PROMETHEE hydrocarbon fueled dual mode ramjet hypersonic cruise missile (1700 kg including two boosters, 6 meters lenght), late 90s-early 00s

Attachments

• Promethee-3-view.jpg
    Promethee-3-view.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 77
  • Promethee-iso-1.jpg
    Promethee-iso-1.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Promethee-iso-2-with-boosters.jpg
    Promethee-iso-2-with-boosters.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 60
  • Promethee-iso-internal-structure.jpg
    Promethee-iso-internal-structure.jpg