• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

DARPA - Integrated Hypersonics (IH) / HX concept (Falcon HTV follow-on?)

antigravite

ACCESS: Top Secret
Joined
Apr 25, 2008
Messages
746
Reaction score
97
Hi there, and hello back again...

Just found an interesting bunch of illustrated material popping out of DARPA's IH (Integrated Hypersonics) program Proposer's days presentations.

We have:
(1) a notional HX boost-glide vehicle concept, clearly building upon the HTV-1 and HTV-2 experience. Comments: CAV-like vehicles still years away from being part of the inventory! (Hardly a surprise.)
(2) artworks of past BG vehicle concepts that I cannot identify. Maybe an HpAMaRV...

source: DARPA / IH_Proposers_Day_Briefing.pdf (August 14, 2012)

Any feedback?
 

Attachments

  • DARPA-IH-HX_notional-201208-02.png
    DARPA-IH-HX_notional-201208-02.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 736
  • DARPA-IH-HX_notional-201208-01.png
    DARPA-IH-HX_notional-201208-01.png
    78.4 KB · Views: 728
  • DARPA-Integrated_Hypersonics-ProposerDay_p31.png
    DARPA-Integrated_Hypersonics-ProposerDay_p31.png
    343.2 KB · Views: 726

dark sidius

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
465
Reaction score
50
The booster on the picture look like a spacex falcon. It look like the early HTV-3 they speak about ground or air launch interesting.Its a mix between the HTV-2 and the X-37b
 

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
13,783
Reaction score
2,000
Well at least DARPA still knows how to make a powerpoint.
 

aim9xray

ACCESS: Top Secret
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Feb 20, 2007
Messages
593
Reaction score
280
Well, at least DARPA's support contractors still know how to make a powerpoint...
 

dark sidius

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
465
Reaction score
50
The futur hx will support rapid transport that mean to have a pressuring system to transport a squad. And payload bay to support Prompt global strike. I think Darpa invest in HX instead of the Hypersonic cruise vehicle with airbreathing hypersonic engine. Hypersonic glider are more mature than hypersonic platform with scramjet. This kind of system can serve to a point to point transport. Virgin Galactic want to have a think like this in the futur, a civilian point to point transport.
 

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
13,783
Reaction score
2,000
dark sidius said:
The futur hx will support rapid transport that mean to have a pressuring system to transport a squad. And payload bay to support Prompt global strike. I think Darpa invest in HX instead of the Hypersonic cruise vehicle with airbreathing hypersonic engine. Hypersonic glider are more mature than hypersonic platform with scramjet. This kind of system can serve to a point to point transport. Virgin Galactic want to have a think like this in the futur, a civilian point to point transport.

What?
 

dark sidius

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
465
Reaction score
50
I said a plane like HX can open the door to a day a civilian point to point transport system. For now its experimental but if the téchnology work it can open the door to a lot of possibility
 

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
13,783
Reaction score
2,000
dark sidius said:
I said a plane like HX can open the door to a day a civilian point to point transport system. For now its experimental but if the téchnology work it can open the door to a lot of possibility

Like NASP and the Orient Express did? (And that's back when we knew what we were doing.)
 

dark sidius

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
465
Reaction score
50
I think you are a little pessimistic Sferrin, the flight of the HTV-2 wasn't a total failure it fly 9 minutes in extrem environnements and if Darpa launch a new programm like HX, I think this technology can working and its time now to progress in Hypersonic. USAF need technology to ensure survivability and now stealth is not enough, look at the new J-20 and J-31in few years they will compete with F-22 and F-35 and at this time it will be the end of superiority.
 

flateric

ACCESS: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Senior Member
Joined
Apr 2, 2006
Messages
9,133
Reaction score
1,226
dark sidius said:
The futur hx will support rapid transport that mean to have a pressuring system to transport a squad.
a squad of mouses?
 

dark sidius

ACCESS: Secret
Joined
Aug 1, 2008
Messages
465
Reaction score
50
Yes for sure for the HX but after that an operationnal system will be size up this work is just for validate the concept. For HX the weight is in the 5000lbs class twice the HTV-2.But an operationnal system will be more in the 20000lbs for mission like prompt global strike. If you read this Darpa projects its for openning prompt global strike mission or survivable transport missions, its not me who say that its Darpa, I think they know theire jobs. The X-37b work very well and this is a mix between HTV-2 and X-37 im confident.
 

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Senior Member
Joined
Jun 3, 2011
Messages
13,783
Reaction score
2,000
dark sidius said:
I think you are a little pessimistic Sferrin, the flight of the HTV-2 wasn't a total failure it fly 9 minutes in extrem environnements

BGRV did that almost half a century ago.

http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,8981.0.html



dark sidius said:
and if Darpa launch a new programm like HX, I think this technology can working and its time now to progress in Hypersonic. USAF need technology to ensure survivability and now stealth is not enough, look at the new J-20 and J-31in few years they will compete with F-22 and F-35 and at this time it will be the end of superiority.

Yeah, people said that about the Mig-29 and Su-27 as well.[/quote]
 

Similar threads

Top