• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Flying-V flying wing airliner

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
Likewise, being in an aircraft and not being able to see outside is a waste. It has been a long time since I flew anywhere though (1995).

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
There is a simple solution to windows on the leading edge. Just get rid of them... and replace them with TV screens. Simplifies the structure and most people shut their windows down anyways.
Not me. Whenever I went on holiday abroad I always wanted the window's open to look out even if there was nothing to lookout at over the Atlantic Ocean.
This. Though I admit it would be cool if the plane had cameras around the exterior piped into an Occulus. (Like an F-35s display.)

DWG

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
BWB meets Barnes-Wallis's Swallow.

On practical grounds, what's effectively a two fuselage configuration is unlikely to be popular with the airlines, and potentially with the regulators. For airlines it introduces the not-inconsiderable problem of directing boarding passengers into the right set of seats, likely extending turn-around times, and you potentially need additional flight crews, galleys and toilets vs a conventional fuselage design of similar capacity. For regulators, the problem is going to be escape capacity, with all passengers aft of the divide into two wings only being able to escape from one side of the aircraft. And as one side of the aircraft is often infeasible for escape due to fire, that's a problem. The evacuation scenarios are almost certainly worse in every blocked exit case than for a conventional fuselage aircraft.