Flying Cars And Roadable Aircraft

Do not attribute to malice that which can be attributed to stupidity. In the case of social media, this seems especially so - or at least the pursuit of growth at all costs. Who prefers a rational consumer over an addict?

A rational business. But an irrational one, or an enemy interested in your downfall more than your perpetual prosperity and consequent business, will happily take an addict over a rational consumer. There have been *lots* of cases throughout history of actions taken by major powers to addict, sicken and ruin large numbers of people for the purpose of control or immediate profit. The Chinese, for instance, are well acquainted with the concept, having been the victims of just such an enterprise during the Opium Wars. Perhaps TikTok is their revenge on the West for that.

Hmm, talk of whimsical vehicles:

Has anyone tried a lighter than air solution to roadable aircraft?
Use an ATV instead of a gondola with a fan in the back? Like with parawings? I’m surprised someone didn’t try to sneak into Area 51 that way.

Don't worry about TikTok. A year from now, you ask someone about TikTok, he'll say "Yeah, I think my grandmother's on TikTok"

AFAIK this is a standard part of testing the cats on any new carrier.

Further, I seem to remember that their was a tradition whereby part of the hazing of a new ??? on the carrier was doing this to his car. And that it was known, so the new guy would bring an old banger just for this occasion.
But this memory is faint and hopefully a Navy brat will enlighten us.

AFAIK this is a standard part of testing the cats on any new carrier.

Further, I seem to remember that their was a tradition whereby part of the hazing of a new ??? on the carrier was doing this to his car. And that it was known, so the new guy would bring an old banger just for this occasion.
But this memory is faint and hopefully a Navy brat will enlighten us.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5cD_oTV2wI

I think the term 'car' really should be expanded to any lozenge shaped craft of any real volume. There are railway cars-why not airway cars?

Not a 'flying' car exactly. Apparently this really happened on USS Enterprise in 1978

During the Global War on Terror, some wag re-posted this as the "U.S. Navy's new catch-and-release-program for Islamic terrorists."

This remind same of an airshow stunt many years ago.
I was out drinking with the pilot the evening before so had a warning. He said that he had a "beater" car blah blah blah.
Several times - over the course of the afternoon, the airshow announcer called for the "owner of a blue model XYZ car to remove it from the taxiway because it was blocking traffic."
Then the announcer bragged about the hoisting capability of a Sea King helicopter. The helicopter duly flew over, latched onto the offending little blue car and lifted it away. Then the announcer bragged about how a Sea King helicopter could jettison a slung load. From 200 feet, the car went into freefall! ...... onto a grassy part of the airport infield.
Hah!
Hah!

View: https://mobile.twitter.com/FlightGlobal/status/1572752681415983105

But their sister company Wisk Aero survives and today they unveiled a roadmap to achieve their goals of establishing air taxi service.

I'm genuinely surprised that more of these startups haven't collapsed by now.

From Aeroplane magazine 1947,

here is a hypothetical concept.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    308.7 KB · Views: 62
I might go with a Kamov-Van deal. Drive shaft points up-frame is battery. Engine mid-mounted. Seats semicircular. Blades atop roof-perhaps spun deployed. Compact. Tall hook atop rotor for rescue.

I know that there are quirks in many areas including automotive and aviation but this photo of the beetle seems suspicious to me because it is a bit dark and not very clear.unless someone has another opinion.

Attachments

• fb.jpg
    fb.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 47
I know that there are quirks in many areas including automotive and aviation but this photo of the beetle seems suspicious to me because it is a bit dark and not very clear.unless someone has another opinion.

My dear Klem,it 's fake.

Last edited:
Hi,

In the 2010s, Bogusław Dzikowicz developed a project of a flying car - a vehicle
that was supposed to fly, drive and swim. It was to have the following dimensions:
length - 4 m, width - 2 m and height - 2.2 m. It was to be made of carbon fiber,
aluminum and titanium. The key to success was to be folded in 10 seconds, controlled
wings, which the constructor patented. Patent No. 232938 for a device for controlling
the wings and folding the wings of a vehicle, especially an aircraft, filed on December
14, 2015 and published on August 30, 2019. In December 2015, the constructor went
to Warsaw to find out about the possibility of obtaining EU funds. It turned out that the
money for inventions can be obtained by institutions that commission research to
universities with permissions. By the way, he visited the Institute of Aviation in Warsaw.
He wanted them to build a prototype of my vehicle and develop technical documentation.
They said that for the money they could get from the EU as a micro-entrepreneur, they
could only optimize the aerodynamics of the vehicle (cost PLN 345,000) and that it would
take 14 months. The constructor resigned from further work.

Attachments

• 20.jpg
    20.jpg
    23 KB · Views: 41
Hi,

here is a flying car of 1955,designed by J.F. "Skeets" Coleman,
test pilot of the Navy's vertical takeoff Pogo fighter.

From Aeroplane 1956.

Attachments

• 10.png
    10.png
    219.2 KB · Views: 36
I can't IF this ?.

Attachments

• ku-xlarge.jpg
    ku-xlarge.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 26
The Alef is so light that a passing tractor-trailer vortex is likely to get caught in it's grid wing and flip it.

My heavy Buick shakes when a cab-over blows past on the other lane.

We are in 2008 and cars are not yet flying!
Where did it go wrong?
Sky Chaser project video - Sky Chaser, the 1st Blade Runner style roadable flying car: looks and drives like and car, flies both vertically like a drone and horizontally like a plane, and it is amphibian. Uses body as a wing, will be manual and fully autonomous, and powered by a hydrogen fuel cell giving it hours of range. Being developed in Sweden, and currently testing a full scale prototype.