Flying boat hull design?

Just call me Ray

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Anybody know of any resources for designing flying boat hulls and principles used therein?

Just some book titles would be good enough.

And yes I already Googled :p

You might also want to take a look at this book which you can see from time to time listed on abebooks or bookfinder,

Marine Aircraft Design, William Munro, Sir Issac Pitman & Sons 1933

A bit dated but that was a major period for flying boat design and construction. It is also worth tracking down the hull test and other technical evaluation reports (from the National Air & Space Museum archives) for the H8K2 Emily flying boat which has been quoted by many to have excellent hydrodynamic qualities.

amsci99 said:
A bit dated but that was a major period for flying boat design and construction.

No problem, that's actually the specific era I was looking for so it works out perfectly.

I cant cite specific links - but in general there is a mass of information available via searches of NACA reports.

To get you started a recent link was to "NASA TN D-529"
and a direct link is via
http://ntrs.nasa.gov/search.jsp?Ne=20&N=4294888984+211
to the reports server

by looking up in turn the references cited at the end of this report (and others) you will uncover a reasonable supply of very interesting reports, either via the report server search function or directly via Google citing the report reference number.

This should keep you happy for days!

Regards

Fred

ps - theres a lot of copies buried on a Cranfield server too, but I cant find the link that gets you into the index - perhaps somebody else has it to hand - certainly covers the period 1930-1960 fairly well.