FLIGHTS OF FANTASY: The Boeing/Lockheed A/FX

Sentinel Chicken

American 71 Heavy, contact departure 126.47
Reaction score
Website
lajeteepress.com
AFX_USN_VFA165.jpg

This one I've always wanted to do but I'm trying to decide what to do with it. I'm thinking of montage print of this aircraft design in different squadron markings/operators. I will have a preview of such a montage print of this plane at my table at Scalefest on May 31.

This is the Lockheed/Boeing A/FX. Back in the 1980s the Navy was looking for a replacement for the F-14 Tomcat and that was the NATF- Naval Advanced Tactical Fighter, which was basically a YF-22 with swing wings. When the A-12 Avenger got cancelled in 1991, the Navy decided that the NATF made a better basis for stealthy strike aircraft and reshifted the program into the A-X program. About the same time the USAF was looking at an F-111 replacement and the two programs were merged into the A/FX which would have been for a multi-role two seat strike aircraft based on the older NATF/A-X design.

This is best known of the design submissions, from a joint effort by Lockheed and Boeing. The other submission came from a joint effort by Rockwell and Northrop.

About 1993 or the A/FX got cancelled as the budgets were too tight. But the program's engineers and design work became the JAST program (Joint Affordable Strike Fighter) which eventually morphed into the current JSF program.

So in my universe, I have both Intruder VA squadrons and Tomcat VF squadrons getting redesignated VFA units for the A/FX. Both communities would be used to twin crew flight operations. Kinda makes me wonder if this would have been a high end asset on the carrier deck with the F/A-18 being the low end asset.

I had done these last year but never got around to posting them. Got more of 'em coming as time allows.......

Attachments

• AFX_USN_VFA165.jpg
    AFX_USN_VFA165.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 1,074
Had cold war not ended, no budget cuts, and this impressive machine would have seen the light of the day...
Very nice profile as usual!

I've always liked VA-35's tail markings in their days as an A-6 Intruder operator:

AFX_USN_VFA35.jpg

Attachments

• AFX_USN_VFA35.jpg
    AFX_USN_VFA35.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 830
As always, splendid work.

how' bout the Jolly Rogers or Black Aces?

sferrin said:
how' bout the Jolly Rogers or Black Aces?
Sumthin' like this?

AFX_USN_VFA41.jpg

I'll have composite print that I'm previewing at Scalefest on Saturday that will have five different A/FXs together. Depending on the response, I may refine it up into a production print.

Attachments

• AFX_USN_VFA41.jpg
    AFX_USN_VFA41.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 195
Given that the A/FX was mooted as a possible F-111 replacement:

AFX_USAF_MO.jpg

Ever since the 366th Wing was stood up as the first expeditionary USAF wing, I've always thought the idea was pretty neat just from the prospect that a single wing had so many different assets. The fact that they were called the "Gunfighters" didn't hurt, either. Here's a 391st FS A/FX in the same markings and colors as the F-15Es the Bold Tigers fly now.

I had done this one last year but never got around to posting it.

Attachments

• AFX_USAF_MO.jpg
    AFX_USAF_MO.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 285
Since this is kind of a contemporary F-14 why not an Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force AF/X? Or at least the USN IRIAF OPFOR markings scheme…

Abraham Gubler said:
Since this is kind of a contemporary F-14 why not an Islamic Republic of Iran Air Force AF/X? Or at least the USN IRIAF OPFOR markings scheme…

Well there isn't the remotest chance we'd have sold them one. Might as well ask for one with a Russian star. ;)

sferrin said:
Well there isn't the remotest chance we'd have sold them one. Might as well ask for one with a Russian star. ;)

Sentinel Chicken said:
An interesting thought, but I try to keep my what-if illustrations reasonably plausible.

Of course the IIRAF isn’t going to buy the AF/X the point I was trying to make is the connection between the F-14 and the AF/X. USN used to fly F-14s painted as substitutes for IRIAF F-14s and Su-27s. With the F-14 withdrawn from service and replaced by the AF/X the next available *big* fighter would be the AF/X.

So what type of aircraft are the aggressor units going to fly to simulate the IRIAF F-14s and various Su-27s? The AF/X painted in a nice tan-brown-green camo scheme of course.

I’m only suggesting this because the dull grey models get quite dull. Another colourful option would be Sqn CO birds from the carrier air wing assigned to the Japanese based CSG (CAW 5 on USS Kitty Hawk). They are allowed to have full colour tail markings as part of the Japanese community engagement agenda.

Oh YES a colourfull CAG-bid !! I think the VFA-11 "Red Rippers" would look fine in a scheme similar to the current Super-Hornet ... or a VFA-103 "Jolly Rogers" birg and then one dropping a LGB !!! ;D

Cheers, Deino

I had some test prints made of the A/FX design in USN colors on their way to me. If they look good (they'll be 12 inch x 16 inch prints), I'll post previews here- I've done two of them- one in the colors of VFA-11 "Red Rippers" and the other in the colors of VFA-103 "Jolly Rogers"......stay tuned!

The test prints arrived yesterday and they came out great. Here's the A/FX print for VFA-103 "Jolly Rogers":

AFXs_USN_VFA103.jpg

If anyone's interested in this one, give me a shout and I'll see what I can do to take care of you.

wow they look great sentinel would you be okay if I sent you a paper plane template to color of this plane? i will attach an image of the wyvern to this email that i have done. all of the planes fit on an 8 by 11 inch piece of paper.

Attachments

• 100_1818.JPG
    100_1818.JPG
    175.6 KB · Views: 498
paperforce said:
wow they look great sentinel would you be okay if I sent you a paper plane template to color of this plane? i will attach an image of the wyvern to this email that i have done. all of the planes fit on an 8 by 11 inch piece of paper.

You do know that plane isn't real, right?

Demon Lord Razgriz said:
paperforce said:

You do know that plane isn't real, right?
Who cares? A paper model airplane of the A/FX (especially if, say, it would be made available to the forum) would be helluva cool!

Yeah I tried posting twice and got two different error messages so if this shows up again I apologize. here are the templates for the wyvern and the chiness jxx(hypothetical) If this needs to apear somewhere else moderators feel free to move it.

Seth

Attachments

• yf-25xwyverntemplate.jpg
    yf-25xwyverntemplate.jpg
    540.1 KB · Views: 596
Sentinel Chicken in your honor sir i did a quick prototype of the a/fx and here are some of the first pics. I did some test glides too across the room and it only tip stalled a few times but other then that not to bad of a glider. I took a couple of the sparse 2 views on the web as well as what little images of concept art that are out there on it as well as your profiles for the detail panel lines and what not. will have the modifications done to the final template tonight. Again much thnaks to you for a subject i did not know too much about but do to your excellent artwork have given me some inspiration to get this model done.

Attachments

• 100_1826.JPG
    100_1826.JPG
    32.2 KB · Views: 178
  • 100_1823.JPG
    100_1823.JPG
    23.2 KB · Views: 180
  • 100_1830.JPG
    100_1830.JPG
    26.2 KB · Views: 214
  • 100_1829.JPG
    100_1829.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 231
  • 100_1828.JPG
    100_1828.JPG
    27.7 KB · Views: 361
Okay here is the template. again feel free to move it if needed.

Attachments

• f24template.jpg
    f24template.jpg
    546.9 KB · Views: 353
here is the parts layout based on the 3 view

Attachments

• f24parts.gif
    f24parts.gif
    52.6 KB · Views: 385
Man, there's just nothing ugly about this plane. Most beautiful Naval fighter concept I've ever seen.
Well, maybe just a longer nose. Always loved that about the Tomcat. Has anyone an idea of what this baby would have been called if it actually ahd made it into service? I can't seem to get the name Hellcat out of my mind...

Also, is it capable of using exterior stores, or is it limited to internal weapons only? stealthy pods would probably be an option. Perhaps in a similar way as the Tornado uses, with swiveling hardpoints.

If there's a plastic or resin modelkit available of it, please let me know. I'd love a nice 1/72nd or even 1/48th scale one.

Anyway, back on topic. Color scheme. How about a VX-4 "Vandy One"?

BTW, anyone here has a nice big wallpaper of this beauty? 1280 x 1024 would be nice. ;D B)

When I released mine (for Wings over Europe) over at Combatace.com we held a community vote for the name and the winner was "F/A-24 Shadowcat" :)

IMHO, Condor would be a much better name for an unarmed cargo transport operated by the United States Air Force's Air Mobility Command. Plus "Condor" is the NATO code name for the Antonov An-124 Ruslan.

Would F/A-24 have been the likely designation of this aircraft if the A/FX had gone into production?

Although I like the name Shadowcat, I would imagine that it would be a name more appropriate for a Northrup Grumman designed and manufactured aircraft. Perhaps a naval version of the Northrup Grumman YF-23. I could see it pictured with the Grumman F6F Hellcat the F4F Wildcat, and the F-14 Tomcat.

My impulse is to name the F/A-24 for the TBD-1 Devastator as the Boeing/Lockheed F/A-24 Devastator II . Perhaps Dauntless II named for the SBD-5 Dauntless.

McDonnell has a long history of naming Naval aircraft for spooks and spectres. Wraith, Shadow, Banshee II, Phantom III, Ghost, and Revenant would be names I would consider.

Since Boeing has absorbed North American Aviation/Rockwell, perhaps Vigilante II.

Seems like they have moved away from naming new aircraft for raptors. Sea Eagle perhaps?

They are wonderful drawings Sentinel Chicken. B) I look forward to seeing additional illustrations.

Perhaps Dauntless II named for the SBD-5 Dauntless.

Dauntless II was the original name for the aircraft that became the AD-1 Skyraider

cheers,
Robin.

Doesn't the nose look a bit too short to be housing a radar as capable of that on the F-22A for example?

Triton said:
IMHO, Condor would be a much better name for an unarmed cargo transport operated by the United States Air Force's Air Mobility Command. Plus "Condor" is the NATO code name for the Antonov An-124 Ruslan.
Unfortunately "Condor" is already used for the Belgian F-16...

Would F/A-24 have been the likely designation of this aircraft if the A/FX had gone into production?
At some point around 1990, the designations F-24 and F-25 were quoted by aeronautical press (Flight International I think) when the program for a new Navy fighter was in the works (was that ATB?). However, from the awkward revelation of two USAF pilots in their CVs, we now know that the YF-24 designator is already in use for an Air Force program...

Triton said:
Although I like the name Shadowcat, I would imagine that it would be a name more appropriate for a Northrup Grumman designed and manufactured aircraft. Perhaps a naval version of the Northrup Grumman YF-23. I could see it pictured with the Grumman F6F Hellcat the F4F Wildcat, and the F-14 Tomcat.
Brilliant idea, indeed!

Triton said:
My impulse is to name the F/A-24 for the TBD-1 Devastator as the Boeing/Lockheed F/A-24 Devastator II . Perhaps Dauntless II named for the SBD-5 Dauntless.
As explained above, Dauntless II was used early for what became the Skyraider. This doesn't mean the name couldn't be used once more... Think of the C-17 Globemaster III for instance!

Triton said:
McDonnell has a long history of naming Naval aircraft for spooks and spectres. Wraith, Shadow, Banshee II, Phantom III, Ghost, and Revenant would be names I would consider.
Phantom would also evoke Boeing's "Phantom Works"... The YF-23A prototypes were dubbed "Black Widow II" and "Grey Ghost II" in the press at the time. Never knew if these were official, though it certainly fitted company history and the color scheme of these two aircraft!

Triton said:
Since Boeing has absorbed North American Aviation/Rockwell, perhaps Vigilante II.
From a global point of view, Vigilante could be mistaken for a patrol, recce or ASW aircraft in some lingos, being mistaken for "Vigilant" (even the RA-5C had shifted from bomber to reconnaissance early in the program).

Triton said:
Seems like they have moved away from naming new aircraft for raptors. Sea Eagle perhaps?
Sounds too much like a navalized version of the USAF F-15...

I think, really it has to be a name from the Boeing or Lockheed tradition, although ,of course, Boeing incorporates McDonnell, who in turn incorporated Douglas,
and Lockheed incorporate Martin, and GD/Convair.

Trouble is, Boeing names are rather lacklustre, for fighters, anyway, 'Peashooter II', anyone, which leaves Lockheed.

But again, Lockheed naval aircraft names are not particularly appropriate for fighters either, except I suppose Viking, and they're still in service.

Could use a Lockheed constellation type name, I suppose, 'Hydra', (the water snake), 'Dorado' (the goldfish), or 'Capricon[us], (the sea goat).
Or, on a non-aquatic theme, 'Scorpius', (the scorpion), 'Sagittarius', (the archer), or 'Ursa', (the bear, we''ll forget about the major and/or minor bit...... :) ).

cheers,
Robin.

- Devastator II sounds cool, but do you really want to bring back memories of the original Devastator?

- I'd go with Phantom III. Good Navy legacy, good Air Force legacy, heck, good legacy with a dozen air forces all over the world. Good fighter, good bomber, good solid name.

- Would they still go with the VFA designation? Why not just stick with VF?

Hi guys, I'm new. I've been doing some research and have come up with the YF-25 X-02 Wyvern at;
www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints-depot/modern
The aircraft is fictitious although you can buy the game Ace Combat 4 on the Sony Playstation. There is a X-02 plastic model kit and AC04. I'm not sure on the scale but you can get these in Japan. There is also a transformer kit coming out.
Ref:www.secreteprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,764.0.html :eek:

Evil Flower said:
How about a Sundowners scheme?
That print is being finished up now as we speak. Juggling several projects this summer, haven't had as much time to devote the A/FX series as I'd like. The discussion about possible names had the A/FX been built has been interesting. Since the time frame for when the A/FX was in play was the early to mid-1990s, I suspect that the naming traditions will derive from Boeing or Lockheed as McDonnell Douglas hadn't been absorbed yet. However, browsing some possible candidates along Lockheed's traditions doesn't really jazz me up much. Possibly Aquila, which was also used by a canceled Lockheed UAV at one point.

The stocky fuselage of the A/FX brings to mind the Buteo genus of birds of prey which we all know as Buzzards.

This is the Sundowners A/FX print that I'm finishing up:

AFXs_USN_VFA111_p1.jpg

There never was a VFA-111. VF-111 "Sundowners" with their distinctive tail markings was a very active Pacific Fleet fighter squadron that ended its days with the F-14 (squadron disestablished in 1995), but was recently resurrected as VFC-111 operating the F-5 Tiger II as an aggressor squadron. I had read somewhere that VF-111 is only one of two Navy squadrons to have downed aircraft in three wars- WW2, Korea, and Vietnam.

The weapons dropped by the low-viz line bird are 500 lb GBU-38 JDAMs.

Hell yeah! I'm so totally doing that scheme for my model (which is in the other A/FX thread).