Fletcher FL-23 liaison aircraft

brontolino

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Hi,

Anyone has the related articles and drawings of the Fletcher FL-23 (competitor of the Cessna L-19 for US Army observation aircraft in the '50)?

I find on the web only a photo of the Fletcher FL-23 at aerofiles.com and the related articles on wikipedia. Can you indicate (possibly scan) some book or articles published about this aircraft?

Thanks in advance

Artie Bob

ACCESS: Confidential
Reaction score
IIRC, the FL-23 was the cover aircraft on an issue of Model Airplane News in the early 50s, I should have the issue, will try to dig it out. There would have been an article with photos and 3-view. There was at least one more Fletcher a/c that flew and that was the FD-25.

Best regards,

Artie Bob

robunos

You're Mad, You Are.....
Reaction score
this from 'scrap book of scale, 3-views & nostalgia volume 2' an aeromodelling book by Bill Hannan, page 16:-

...the Fletcher FD-25 Defender. First flown in 1951, the FD-25 was designed by John Thorp, of "Sky Skooter" fame, as a potential "COIN" fighter for close in ground support work.
The prototype...was constructed largely of magnesium, but later editions employed the more conventional aluminium.
Powered by a Continental E225 engine, the FD-25 had a usable speed range from 41 to 187 mph, and was able to carry a large variety of external armament in addition to it;s two .30 cal machine guns.
The distinctive exhaust stacks are the visual manifestations of the unique Fletcher "jet-cooled" augmenter system which added approx. 35hp to the engine output.

A comprehensive description (with photos and a 3-view) may be found in the January, 1965 issue of Air Progress magazine.

does anyone here have this article?

cheers,
Robin.

Jemiba

Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score
from Taschenbuch der Luftflotten 1954, the FL-23.

Attachments

• Fletcher_Fl-23_01.jpg
    Fletcher_Fl-23_01.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 277

brontolino

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
I 'm very pleased for your contribution to search photo and drawings of Fletcher FL-23. Thanks to all menbers for their information about these less know aircraft. I hope to see (if possibly) the related article from the magazine Air Progress on FL-23.

Brontolino

Triton

Donald McKelvy
Reaction score
Website
deeptowild.blogspot.com

Attachments

• !B0tMRv!B2k~$(KGrHqN,!jcE)pZJleRsBMbbPl5NRg~~_12.jpg
    !B0tMRv!B2k~$(KGrHqN,!jcE)pZJleRsBMbbPl5NRg~~_12.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 224

ZacYates

LHX SuperTeam fanboy
Reaction score
I have a friend with a photocopy of the Model Airplane News cover and article, I'll see if he can do me a copy. In the meantime I found a page with a colour scan of the cover and two images from John Thorp's patent for the design.

Last edited:

walter

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Maybe of interest. The FL-23 received several modifications early in the test programme. Attached photo (sorry for the bad quality) shows her with
a prominent dorsal fin, extended top of the tail ,plane. streamlined u/c strut fairings and N122A also received a larger (side) engine intake.

Attachments

• FL-23 with mods.jpg
    FL-23 with mods.jpg
    22.8 KB · Views: 51