Facebook, WhatApp and Instagram down....

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
All the cool kids use Whatsapp for messaging. Old farts like me and my wife use Facebook Messenger. Grandpas use SMS :)

As far as I can decipher trends (ha) Signal, Slack and Discord are some of the services to be on. Whatsapp showed promise but from my POV, y'know, Facebook. Real "influencer" pros are of course scouring the landscape to register themselves on the newest and most obscure social media/messaging environments in the hopes of those becoming successful and thus gaining "OG trendsetter" points/status. The real added value (apart from increased data security and privacy in some cases) is usually meager to nonexistent; seems mostly to be about where the herd is stampeding to be data mined (or is it "milked" in this case). I mean, big data as currency is where the innovation is, as far as end user experience goes I struggle to make meaningful distinctions between current structures and erstwhile methods such as IRCs, mailing lists, Classmates, MySpace, et.al (apart from the capacity and volume of the net itself growing meanwhile).
Discord is popular in gaming communities. It and Slack (businesses and media) are basically just modern IRC at heart.

Signal seems to be Facebook Messenger /Whatsapp for people who like privacy.

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score
Some (many?) social media users felt cut off from their friends. When asked why they didn't use the telephone feature on their toys, they cited telephone phobia - at least, according to the rumour I've heard ☹️

I red that "people re-discovered SMS" during the blackout.
Hmmmm, what ?
Is SMS obsolete ?
All the cool kids use Whatsapp for messaging. Old farts like me and my wife use Facebook Messenger. Grandpas use SMS :)
I'd still be happy with MSN messenger if Microsoft hadn't killed it. At times I find myself wishing Teams could be used by the general public for chatting with friends.

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd still be happy with MSN messenger if Microsoft hadn't killed it. At times I find myself wishing Teams could be used by the general public for chatting with friends.

You can. You just need to set up a free Microsoft account to use Teams.

sferrin

ACCESS: USAP
Reaction score

Hmmm. Gonna have to try that. Assumed that wasn't the case when I tried to reach my brother through Teams from different companies. (Maybe they can just lock it down at work?)

Last edited:

overscan (PaulMM)

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Hmmm. Gonna have to try that. Assumed that wasn't the case when I tried to reach my brother through Teams from different companies. (Maybe they can just lock it down at work?)
Yes, you can block comms outside the company as the Office 365 admin.

You could sign up with a personal email and get a personal Teams account.

UpForce

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5jtFqWq5iU

"John Oliver discusses how misinformation spreads among immigrant diaspora communities, how little some platforms have done to stop it, and, most importantly, how to have a very good morning." (published Oct 11, 2021)

Truly a whirlwind tour of social media and messaging app environments that might be less familiar to most preferring to communicate in English. Something of an education though mostly through the prism of U.S. immigrant communities; not a comprehensive overview, some major language groups and cultures totally omitted but certainly enough to get one started in appreciating one another way the world is being re-compartmentalized. Focus mostly on how misinformation spreads organically albeit some intentionally bad actors are of course featured as the originators of falsehoods and/or grifts. National and corporate disinformation efforts largely ignored in this presentation although some features of apps originating from autocratic countries are briefly noted as being (not necessarily even by design) conducive to the spread of misinformation.

VinsaHrdok

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is a big minus of the apps that Facebook owns. If traffic drops for one, it also drops for everyone else. I had to spend the evening in the Telegram, and it isn't very interesting there.