F-101A "Operation Firewall"

convairxf92

The Original Landspeeder
Reaction score
Greetings:

Does anyone on the forum have any color photos of the McDonnell F-101A #53-2426 that set the world speed record on 12/11/57? It's the plane that Adrian Drew flew. I am trying to build a model of it 1/144 scale and, despite numerous reference material on the F-101 and internet searches, am unable to come up with a color photo of it. If you can assist me, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

- Jim

Here you go Jim - enjoy!

E-mail for the full file size if you need it. I'd also like to talk with you about the F-101D report.

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Attachments

• xD4C-737 Dec-57.jpg
    xD4C-737 Dec-57.jpg
    314.9 KB · Views: 291
The forward end of those tailpipes look interesting. Are those intakes for air for an ejector-like effect? ???

Thanks for the photo! That's the best one I've seen yet. It would appear that there is dayglo red on the underside of the plane. I've yet to see an underside photo, so I'm going to have to do my best guess.

In answer to SFERRIN's question, S/N 53-2426 used the long afterburners and had air intakes, much the same way the F-101B had.

Mark:

Thanks again for that photo. I had the same one, only it was extremely grainy and pixelated. This one is crystal clear and will allow me to accurately copy and print the logo onto decal paper. If you have any more photos of this plane, would you mind sending them to jimkelsey@gmail.com? Thanks.