• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Exosonic low-boom SSBJ project

TomS

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score

Flight Global article wasn't paywalled when I saw it. Plane looks a bit like a cartoon of a supersonic jet, honestly, but the company founder seems to have some legit low-boom credentials.

Attachments

• 72722_exosonicairforceonecusaf_960115.jpg
    72722_exosonicairforceonecusaf_960115.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 159
  • 7E22F8~2.jpg
    7E22F8~2.jpg
    257.6 KB · Views: 147
  • 2019-09-15.png
    2019-09-15.png
    379.2 KB · Views: 58

Moose

Reaction score
At least that one has the correct paintjob.

flateric

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Staff member
Top Contributor
Reaction score

Attachments

• CLZzaUtXAAA_mpD.jpg
    CLZzaUtXAAA_mpD.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 114
  • Sukhoi-SSBJ-model-Source-41.png
    Sukhoi-SSBJ-model-Source-41.png
    177.1 KB · Views: 110

Sundog

Reaction score

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
There is nothing?! No preliminary CAD design, perf charts etc...?!?
How have we gone down to that?
Don't read me wrong, I am fully supportive of this endeavor but you don't capture ppl attention with intends. Even in the Startup universe.

Zoo Tycoon

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Tomcat, I’m with you, it’s a sketch almost anyone could do, a few opinions, no technical details, no indication there’s anything’s behind it, so why are they giving him the time of day? A good friend of mine, with an eVTOL project has done way in excess of that, really clever IP and has so far failed to get any investment from numerous investors pitches.

Last edited:

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score
I wonder did they hold any private briefings before hand.

CiTrus90

Credibility is down! Kill ratio is up!
Reaction score
So...

Guy #1 is a Stanford MBA graduate (2019) and aerospace engineer from UCLA (2014).
Claims to have worked for Skunk Works, Virgin Galactics and Northrop Grumman.
Mind you, Exosonic was funded 1 June 2019.

Guy #2 has a BS in Mechanical Engineering from Caltech (2013) and interned at Boeing (2012 and 2013).

In the 7th August 2019 presentation there is a third person shown as member of the team, which is not listed anymore on their company site and whose Linkedin account says worked with Exosonic from April to July 2020 and whose resume says:

CFD Engineer – Sonic Boom Prediction April 2020 - present
Exosonic, San Jose, CA
• Analysed flow over supersonic airplane geometries (including the X-59 QueSST) to capture the nearfield sonic boom
signature to be used for noise analysis in low boom supersonic aircraft design.
• Performed mesh generation for Euler and RANS calculations on geometries from AIAA Sonic Boom Prediction Workshop
(lbpw.larc.nasa.gov).
• Created tutorials on grid generation as part of the effort to develop analysis capabilities and knowledge base in the start-up.

In the 7th August 2019 presentation Robert Sandusky and Dave Boyer are clearly not listed as members of the team.

Also according to Linkedin Dave Boyer currently works for the Marvin Engineering Company in Inglewood, while according to this http://www.westhighalumni.com/hall elements/Sandusky.htm Robert Sandusky "was appointed Professor of Engineering and Applied Science for The George Washington University at the NASA Langley Research Center".

And, according to Crunchbase (https://www.crunchbase.com/organization/exosonic) the team is composed of only 2 people and the company is funded by 1 investor, which is Y Combinator, "a startup accelerator that invests in a wide range of startups twice a year".

Now...I'm not saying the USAF got Stavatti'ed, but...

CiTrus90

Credibility is down! Kill ratio is up!
Reaction score
Still looking around and at http://www.westhighalumni.com/hall elements/Sandusky.htm
Robert Sandusky is an Aerospace Consultant doing business as Sandusky Aeronautics.

1.jpg

And at the same address we can find Robert R. Sandusky.

2.jpg

Aged 80 years old.
I've some trouble believing an 80 year old gentleman that has had such a great career at Northrop Grumman and elsewhere, would be willing to spend time with a startup like Exosonic.

These 2 guys are either taking the p*ss or being maliciously naive.

I can't believe they got awarded a 1 million dollar contract on this.

djfawcett

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Some favors are definitely being done! The rendering are pretty much cartoons ...... just look at the engine nacelles.

yasotay

Reaction score
$1M US ain't what it used to be. Lot's of money to us normal folks, but in DoD circles that is chump change. It's the end of the fiscal year and with COVID there are likely some offices with unused money. "Use it, or loose it" has always been the #1 maxim in DoD. This was likely one of those programs that got kept around to help with that.

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
Dear Citrus 90,
Au contraire!
It is quite normal for retired generals, engineers, politicians, etc. to sell their names to support speculative concepts.
For example, a few years back General MacKenzie spoke publically on behalf of a project to revive the AVRO Arrow. The project had no hope of reaching production because all the prototypes and tooling were destroyed 60 years ago.

Retired generals also often sell their voices to TV networks as "military analysts" commenting on the latest war in Wheretheheckistan.

MaxLegroom

Why not?
Reaction score
And these days it's quite normal for such people to have a home office. I thought the address seemed quite familiar, in fact I drive through that neighborhood quite often, and it bears no resemblance to the map shown in the previous image. It's actually a fairly expensive neighborhood located near the high school I went to. That they showed it in somewhere that looked like D.C. or Philadelphia is suspicious.Screenshot 2020-09-14 201934.jpgScreenshot 2020-09-14 201934.jpg

MaxLegroom

Why not?
Reaction score
I would also ask which small aircraft (compared to the 747) the Air Force plans as the next Air Force One, as I've also read articles about another startup called Hermeus Aviation planning a hypersonic AF1, which already has a thread here. Neither of these will carry the accommodations of the current Air Force One.

Zoo Tycoon

CLEARANCE: Secret
Reaction score
Galgot
I’ve already registered the company name “SP Jets Inc”, I’ve spoken with thousands of pax’s about how disappointed they were at the speeds of modern civil air transport, only one person said they thought they were too fast. Most couldn’t give a stuff about the ticket price as it’s their companies paying.

Let’s crack on and get that mill

Last edited:

MaxLegroom

Why not?
Reaction score
Galgot
I’ve already registered the company name “SP Jets Inc”, I’ve spoken with thousands of pax’s about how disappointed they were at the speeds of modern civil air transport, only one person said they thought they were too fast. Most couldn’t give a stuff about the ticket price as it’s their companies paying.

The reaction of people you've talked to is interesting. I've had no such reaction, and the people I've talked to, largely from my former job at Langley AFB were surprised that the U.S. ever considered building a SST, and generally balked at the idea of going that fast. Of course, maybe showing them that painting of a NAC-60 in United colors, afterburners alight, intimidated them a bit...

TomS

Reaction score
Galgot

The reaction of people you've talked to is interesting. I've had no such reaction, and the people I've talked to, largely from my former job at Langley AFB were surprised that the U.S. ever considered building a SST, and generally balked at the idea of going that fast. Of course, maybe showing them that painting of a NAC-60 in United colors, afterburners alight, intimidated them a bit...

I think that boom you just heard is the sound of the joke flying overhead at supersonic speed... :)