• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

Elon Musk's Hyperloop concept

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score

https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/02/hyperloop-transportation-technologies-first-capsule/

TomcatViP

Hellcat
Reaction score
Funny that they went laminar and included some heavy drag reduction shaping: weren't they supposed to have no air in the tunnel?

sferrin

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Reaction score
TomcatViP said:
Funny that they went laminar and included some heavy drag reduction shaping: weren't they supposed to have no air in the tunnel?
Probably be more realistic to keep it thin instead of complete vacuum.

Orionblamblam

CLEARANCE: Above Top Secret
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
sferrin said:
TomcatViP said:
Probably be more realistic to keep it thin instead of complete vacuum.
A reasonably well-equipped laboratory would be hard pressed to create the sort of crappy vacuum you'd find in low Earth orbit...never mind a tunnel meters in diameter and hundreds of miles long with many, many large-size hatches that are constantly opening up to the larger environment.

Moose

CLEARANCE: Top Secret
Reaction score
It was always a low-pressure rather than vacuum design. Musk's initial sketches even had a fan compressor mounted to the nose.

Foo Fighter

I came, I saw, I drank some tea (and had a bun).
Reaction score
https://www.newstatesman.com/future-proof/2013/12/londons-victorian-hyperloop-forgotten-pneumatic-railway-beneath-capitals-street

Grey Havoc

The path not taken.
Reaction score

During SpaceX’s annual Hyperloop competition, a pod designed by the Technical University of Munich reached a record top speed of 288mph (463km/h) - but soon after exploded
Note that the video is glitched at the moment, they'll probably fix it quickly enough though.