Early Flying Car Designs

That's a design for racing car not a flying car. It was intended as an entry for the Indianapolis 500 race,
the design was disqualified because it only had three wheels.

That's a design for racing car not a flying car. It was intended as an entry for the Indianapolis 500 race,
the design was disqualified because it only had three wheels.

Yes I know,but it was easy to switch into flying car.

It was never intended to be a flying car, so how could it be easy to turn it into one?

How about the German Ambi-Budd 'flying car'. Shown off at a Berlin airplane show.

Attachments

• 0b20e38a4e3128094aece82bedb4ff2d_image_document_large_featured_borderless.jpg
    0b20e38a4e3128094aece82bedb4ff2d_image_document_large_featured_borderless.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 1345738-450-358.jpg
    1345738-450-358.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 37829389_303.jpg
    37829389_303.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 19
  • automobileautogyro_resized.jpg
    automobileautogyro_resized.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 20
  • flying_automobile_is_here.jpg
    flying_automobile_is_here.jpg
    832.8 KB · Views: 23
  • gettyimages-542431549-612x612.jpg
    gettyimages-542431549-612x612.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 19
  • img1456.jpg
    img1456.jpg
    21.1 KB · Views: 15
  • wwb_img1116.jpg
    wwb_img1116.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 14
Well, not exactly "early" but early enough I thought it should be included for the humor aspect, is the AVE Mizar. The company had chose to base theirs on a Ford Pinto

Fiver+AVE+Mizar+2.jpg

Testing ended in a fiery crash. Somewhat apropos for using a Ford Pinto... :rolleyes:

How about the German Ambi-Budd 'flying car'. Shown off at a Berlin airplane show.
Intresting, but it doesn't look like a real flying prototype and more like a mock up model. Surly it was planded as a Gyrocopter, but I wonder why it is missing the rear propeller on every photo...

Edit: Now that I wrote the text about it, I realized this was quite insane and would have never worked! The small rear fin would have had to counteract the torque of the driven rotor ! Thrust was inteded to be produced by the small wings on the end of the blades, pably they took inspiration from the Voith Schneider Propeller.

Last edited:
Intresting, but it doesn't look like a real flying prototype and more like a mock up model. Surly it was planded as a Gyrocopter, but I wonder why it is missing the rear propeller on every photo...

Edit: Now that I wrote the text about it, I realized this was quite insane and would have never worked! The small rear fin would have had to counteract the torque of the driven rotor ! Thrust was inteded to be produced by the small wings on the end of the blades, pably they took inspiration from the Voith Schneider Propeller.
I think it also a gyrocopter. I thought it was funny that the writeup on it stated 'flying car.' At least it was made in 1:1 scale and on display, not simply a paper project.

Originally I gought it would be a gyrocopter, but it wasn't intended to be one. The rotor was driven (in theory...) and the end fins should have enable thrust. There was no tail rotor planed, so of course it wouldn't have worked.

Back
Top Bottom