Reaction score
Website
www.aerospaceprojectsreview.com
shuttle1a.jpg

shuttle2a.jpg

shuttle3a.jpg

shuttle4a.jpg

Great stuff!
Why is the tip of the ET like that? A parachute container?

mz said:
Great stuff!
Why is the tip of the ET like that? A parachute container?

in 1972 version of STS
was this a small solid rocket engine
who push the ET from Orbiter away and deorbit the ET after use

At the time the Shuttle still had turbojets for landing and ferry flights no?
It looks as if there was a kind of small air intake at the base of the fin, plus the two big fairings above the wings...

Archibald said:
At the time the Shuttle still had turbojets for landing and ferry flights no?
It looks as if there was a kind of small air intake at the base of the fin, plus the two big fairings above the wings...

Aren't the fairings just OMS pods? They don't seem to be any bigger than the pods the Shuttle eventually ended up with...

I'm very interested in the cylindrical spine running down the shuttle's back. Anyone have any ideas as to its purpose?

Starviking

To the moderators - should this be merged into http://www.secretprojects.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,1928.0 ?

Oooh! that one I know.

It was thought that the shuttle arm would be inside that spine.

Interesting to see retractable RCS thrusters in the nose. I suppose that it reduces the number of seperate RCS systems though failure to deploy would be quite problematic.

dragon72 said:
Interesting to see retractable RCS thrusters in the nose. I suppose that it reduces the number of seperate RCS systems though failure to deploy would be quite problematic.

The pre-definitive 040C design, as awarded to North American Rockwell, the 3/4 still mantained the retractable RCS pods.
They disappeared into the final version of the 040C design the 5/6 as actually built and flown.