• Hi Guest! Forum rules have been updated. All users please read here.

DuPont Aerospace Projects

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
DuPont DP-2 uses the same VTOL concept as the Bell X-14A experimental airplane. Hot exhaust is turned to point straight downwards to provide vertical lift.
DP-2 nozzles are simplified versions of the rear exhaust on current-Production Lockheed-Martin F-35B VTOL airplane for the United States Marine Corps.

DuPont’s primary innovation was using composite materials
In high temperature environments like exhaust nozzles. Unfortunately, even DuPont’s best composites deteriorated at high temperatures.

Wyvern

CLEARANCE: Confidential
Reaction score
DuPont DP-2 uses the same VTOL concept as the Bell X-14A experimental airplane. Hot exhaust is turned to point straight downwards to provide vertical lift.
DP-2 nozzles are simplified versions of the rear exhaust on current-Production Lockheed-Martin F-35B VTOL airplane for the United States Marine Corps.

DuPont’s primary innovation was using composite materials
In high temperature environments like exhaust nozzles. Unfortunately, even DuPont’s best composites deteriorated at high temperatures.

Thanks!

riggerrob

I really should change my personal text
Reaction score
"Everything Old is New Again"

Yes.
DuPont's basic configuration reminds us of the earlier Fokker F.26 proposal. Although the Fokker was never intended for VTOL.