Dream Chaser for CEV requirement

Even though the Dream Chaser's first launch is still months away the mission support team for it has already started rehearsing orbital operations including docking with the ISS, from theSpaceBucket:

As Dream Chaser approaches its first launch, teams have been busy making sure the spaceplane is ready. This not only includes physical progress and development but practice and coordination with NASA surrounding the flight profile and ISS docking procedure in particular. On this first mission, Dream Chaser Tenacity will be carrying valuable cargo and will need to dock with the ISS before returning home.
This is a delicate process that can’t afford any mistakes for the safety of the vehicle and more importantly crews on the International Space Station. Over the past few days, Sierra Space has been going through different simulations for this exact process. This includes the approach starting over 100 km below the station all the way to the connection.
As of right now, Dream Chaser Tenacity is practically ready for flight. Based on reports from Sierra Space the test article is just about complete and could already be finishing its final testing. Here I will go more in-depth into this simulation, the final work on Tenacity, what to expect in the coming weeks, and more.

Here's a video by TheSpaceBucket about how the Dream Chaser improves on the Space Shuttle:

It has been a long time since we have seen a spaceplane capable of reaching orbit and returning for a runway landing. Decades ago, the Space Shuttle was both a major success and failure. A piece of hardware responsible for over 100 successful missions but also the death of 14 astronauts. Now in 2023, Sierra Space is preparing to launch its first Dream Chaser test article to the International Space Station.
As they designed and manufactured this modern spaceplane, the company took into consideration the pros and the cons of the Shuttle. This has created a new type of spacecraft with some major similarities and differences to the past shuttle. It’s also important to point out that the current Dream Chaser variant also has a different mission goal than the Space Shuttle contributing to various differences.
Either way, they’re both very unique pieces of hardware and could become a popular mode of transportation in the near future. Here I will go more in-depth into how Dream Chaser compares to the Shuttle, why Sierra Space has made certain changes, the upcoming launch, and more.

A new video about what Tenacity's first launch will look like, from TheSpaceBucket:

Dream Chaser is a modern spaceplane getting close to its maiden flight. The initial variant is an uncrewed version that will carry cargo to the International Space Station and dispose of trash on its way back. As its mission gets even closer, Sierra Space has begun training both mission controllers and even astronauts on future ISS missions to understand how to complete this mission.
This maiden flight is a demonstration mission and will be the first test of some of Dream Chaser’s different features. Between launch and landing, the mission includes a long list of different objectives and milestones that if met, will determine how well this spacecraft performed and what its future may look like.
Sierra Space has confirmed work on a crewed variant which will likely be the future of this platform. This being said, until an uncrewed variant has flown successfully multiple times, we won’t see crew using Dream Chaser to get into LEO and back. Here I will go more in-depth into the first mission’s flight profile, new launch date info, the importance of this mission, and more.

Well it would appear that the Dream Chaser is nearly ready to be sent to Cape Canaveral for its launch next year, from TheSpaceBucket:

At one point in time, thanks to the Space Shuttle, watching a rocket with wings lift off and eventually return to Earth and land on a runway was somewhat of a common occurrence. Unfortunately, since the Shuttle program was shut down, we really haven’t seen a similar spaceplane system in use. That being said, this could change in just a few months as Sierra Space’s first Dream Chaser test article prepares to launch.
Named Tenacity, this spaceplane is uncrewed and is meant to carry cargo to and from low Earth orbit destinations such as the ISS. New insight from both Sierra Space and the first mission’s launch provider ULA highlights that progress is coming along and they are just about ready to lift off. After quite a few delays, it looks as if this maiden flight is on track.
For many months now we have watched Tenacity transform from a barren skeleton to a fully operational spaceplane covered in thermal tiles. This first flight will put each and every component to the test and even deliver cargo to the International Space Station. Here I will go more in-depth into Tenacity’s recent progress, the final steps before rocket integration, the mission plan, and more.

The Dream Chaser's heat shield is now almost fully installed, from TheSpaceBucket:

We are now only months away from the first flight of the Dream Chaser Spaceplane. In the last few years, we have watched the consistent development and assembly of Tenacity, the uncrewed test article. Recent updates from the company give a better idea of the vehicle’s progress and some of the work they have been doing throughout 2023.
This primarily includes heat shield installation. Somewhat similar to the Space Shuttle, Dream Chaser features thousands of individual tiles spread across the entirety of its body. Especially the first time, this process is time consuming and immensely important as a single error could mean the end of the vehicle during reentry.
On the bright side, Sierra Space has put a lot of work into trying to improve the system from what was used during the Shuttle era. However, new videos and pictures highlight how intricate this system is and the challenge the company has ahead of it. Here I will go more in-depth into Tenacity’s heat shield progress, the first launch, the improvements to this system, and more.

View: https://twitter.com/nasaspaceflight/status/1704906099508318217

First Look: Sierra Space (@SierraSpaceCo) has provided NSF with these unreleased photos of Dream Chaser Tenacity's Thermal Protection System (TPS) tiles, as she continues preparations for her maiden flight to the ISS on ULA's Vulcan rocket.

Sierra Space notes the difference between black and white is an additive to the outer glass coating. Each tile is unique in design, and differ in size, shape, thickness, and density. They plan to re-waterproof between missions similar to Shuttle.

Well there are continuing issues with the Dream Chaser's launch vehicle, the Vulcan Centaur, from TheSpaceBucket:

After decades of development and manufacturing, the Dream Chaser spaceplane is approaching its first-ever launch, or is it? Unfortunately, this maiden flight has been continually pushed back from initial launch dates that go all the way back to 2021. With this being the first launch of this unique spacecraft, some delays are expected, however, the spaceplane and Sierra Space are not solely responsible.
Dream Chaser is only a spacecraft, meaning in order to reach orbit, it needs the help of a dedicated launch vehicle. While there were a few options, in 2019, SNC announced that Dream Chaser would fly on top of United Launch Alliance’s Vulcan Centaur. At the time a rocket still in development expected to be ready by 2021.
Beyond that, they announced that not only would they utilize this launch vehicle for the first Dream Chaser launch, but all 6 of the contracted CRS flights to the International Space Station. A decision that could add even more delays to an already behind project. Here I will go more in-depth into the years of delays, the complications with Vulcan, possible future impacts, and more.

Given the continued difficulties with the launcher I don't know why NASA didn't have a contingency plan to launch the Dream Chaser on a Atlas Centaur 5?

1. Well there are continuing issues with the Dream Chaser's launch vehicle, the Vulcan Centaur, from TheSpaceBucket:
2. Given the continued difficulties with the launcher I don't know why NASA didn't have a contingency plan to launch the Dream Chaser on a Atlas Centaur 5?
1. no, there aren't "continuing"problems. There is the one and it is fixed. Dreamchaser isn't ready anyways.
2. Not NASA's call. There are no Atlas Vs available (notice no Centaur in the name).

There are no Atlas Vs available (notice no Centaur in the name).

I'm aware that Centaur isn't in the name however I'm a nitpicking pedant and the Atlas is just the first-stage the second-stage is the Centaur. It's the same reason why I refer to the Delta I and II as the Thor-Delta I and II

I'm aware that Centaur isn't in the name however I'm a nitpicking pedant and the Atlas is just the first-stage the second-stage is the Centaur. It's the same reason why I refer to the Delta I and II as the Thor-Delta I and II
And that would be wrong,
a. Atlas V is a CCB (no longer called an Atlas) with a Centaur or back in the day when it was planned, Agena 2000.
B. because the Delta boosters were no longer Thors after they went to a constant 8 foot diameter.

Better to be right than wrong as demonstrated in a few of your last posts.

He isn't always right...five core Falcon SuperHeavy wasn't just a fanboy drawing...but that's why we kick the ball around. I'm the dummy on this board...

He isn't always right...five core Falcon SuperHeavy wasn't just a fanboy drawing...but that's why we kick the ball around. I'm the dummy on this board...
It was a fanboy drawing and tease by Musk. It never was under serious consideration by SpaceX.
Not feasible. Even the existing Falcon Heavy isn't working as SpaceX wanted it to. The FH core is unique (different than a standard F9, where as the side boosters are the same). And the core can't be recovered without making more modifications. So every FH core will be expended.

Last edited:
I would not think additional FH strap-ons would need modification, just two more added.

The core would need more work with added “cross-bars” if you will—-but that might actually allow center core recovery.

Two strap-ons RTLS, the other two land on barges…and maybe the core can have enough propellant left to land on a third barge?

With only two strap-ons, the core likely is expended. Two more might take up the slack.

I would not think additional FH strap-ons would need modification, just two more added.

The core would need more work with added “cross-bars” if you will—-but that might actually allow center core recovery.

Two strap-ons RTLS, the other two land on barges…and maybe the core can have enough propellant left to land on a third barge?

With only two strap-ons, the core likely is expended. Two more might take up the slack.
Nope. Completely off base.

The core would need more mods for strength as well as the 2nd stage since it is carrying more mass. Need a larger fairing. Likely need a larger second stage too. The core would also be unique in that there is no way to connect tail service masts for propellant loading and other umbilicals.

The core would be going too fast for recovery, just like the current heavy core can't be recovered. Can't have RTLS and barge landings at the same time from boosters going the same velocity.

The erector transporter and hangar would have to be completely redone

It was a fanboy drawing and tease by Musk. It never was under serious consideration by SpaceX.
Not feasible. Even the existing Falcon Heavy isn't working as SpaceX wanted it to. The FH core is unique (different than a standard F9, where as the side boosters are the same). And the core can't be recovered without making more modifications. So every FH core will be expended.
They've recovered at least one Falcon Heavy core.

The debut launch of Dream Chaser has fallen back again and is now NET April 2024.

"Cert-2 is expected to launch Sierra Space’s first Dream Chaser cargo ship to the ISS. The flight, previously targeted for December and then delayed to early 2024, is now tentatively slated for April 2024, Janet Kavandi, Sierra Space president and chief science officer, told Aerospace DAILY at the AIAA’s Ascend conference in Las Vegas."

View: https://twitter.com/sierraspaceco/status/1717504368688152808

Sierra Space has successfully completed it's first mission Flight Operations Review at @NASA_Johnson. The week-long review was a culmination of intensive effort in preparation for Dream Chaser's mission to the @Space_Station.

Link:

View: https://twitter.com/124970MeV/status/1719391112794644636

Yesterday, @SierraSpaceCo
hosted @NASASpaceflight at its production plant in Lafayette, Colorado, as teams prepare Dream Chaser for its shipment to the Cape. Tenacity will be shipped in the coming weeks, for launch on Vulcan flight two.
We also got a first look at the beautiful mission patch for Tenacity's first mission. An employee wood worked then hand-painted this large patch.

View: https://twitter.com/124970mev/status/1719391120675741869

Sierra Space is not stopping at just Tenacity, as work has started on Tail 2 (yet to be named); CEO Tom Vice noted that the build has had 80% fewer issues during the build process, resulting in quicker assembly and lower cost. He added Tail 2 is roughly 24 months behind Tenacity.

View: https://twitter.com/sierraspaceco/status/1719807906940411962

Sierra Space and #NASA have successfully completed a joint thermal vacuum demonstration test at NASA's Neil Armstrong Test Facility in Sandusky, Ohio. This test was performed in preparation for integrated Dream Chaser spacecraft environmental tests, planned later this year.

The test validated the ability of NASA's In-Space Propulsion Facility to achieve both hot and cold temperature extremes under vacuum, along with a collection of critical data needed to increase accuracy/fidelity of models used to predict thermal conditions & vehicle performance.

Now that the Dreamchaser has been completed TheSpaceBucket has a video about it:

After decades of development and testing, the first Dream Chaser test article is complete and preparing for its maiden flight. In the past, the Space Shuttle was a staple within the industry flying over 100 times both with crew and cargo. Its unique design allowed it to be reused after landing on a runway. However, it was far from perfect, and was eventually retired in 2011.
Now, a new modern spaceplane is getting ready to lift off and mark the beginning of Dream Chaser’s busy future. This includes multiple variants, meant for crew and cargo, a smaller size, folding wings, and a host of features hoping to improve on past designs.
This news from Sierra Space comes just in time as they prepare for a launch in only a few months from now. Here I will go more in-depth into the completion of Dream Chaser Tenacity, the final steps before launch, why this mission is so important, and more.

It would appear that Sierra Space has improved on the technology used in the Dreamchaser's heat-shield tiles, from TheSpaceBucket:

At this point, Dream Chaser Tenacity is set to launch for the first time in only a few months. For the last few years, this spaceplane has been undergoing testing and general manufacturing. One area in particular that has been a main focus for the company has been its intricate heat shield. Here thousands of unique tiles are positioned across the spaceplane to create a barrier from the intense forces and heat during reentry.
Looking back in time, the Space Shuttle experienced a host of issues with its heat shield which consisted of tens of thousands of tiles. These problems increased the time necessary between each mission, and jeopardized astronaut safety.
Sierra Space however is confident the tiles they are using today are a significant improvement from the technology we saw in the past. Here I will go more in-depth into the modern spaceplane heat shield, Tenacity’s first launch, improvements from past designs, and more.

I do not want anything like what happened to Columbia to happen again, let's see how good the heat resistant tiles are if Dreamchaser gets launched next year.

I do not want anything like what happened to Columbia to happen again

The good thing about the current iteration of the Dreamchaser is that it's unmanned so if anything goes wrong nobody dies. On another note it has occurred to me that it's been 20 years since the Columbia's destruction.

That is better news NMaude, I did not know that the first Dreamchaser was to be unmanned bettter being safe with a prototype. I also did not know that it was twenty years since the Columbia disaster.

The good thing about the current iteration of the Dreamchaser is that it's unmanned so if anything goes wrong nobody dies. On another note it has occurred to me that it's been 20 years since the Columbia's destruction.

Plus, it launches inside a shroud, so the heat shield is protected from impacts during ascent.

The manned version (if adopted) will be exposed, but it will be at the top of the stack, not side-by-side, so there should be no opportunities for an impact there either.

Just what I was thinking too TomS, let's see if the manned version gets adopted I want it to succeed where the European Hermes shuttle failed to get put into production.

Shooting Star Cargo Module Arrives at NASA's Neil Armstrong Test Facility for Testing

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytieryXnGOY

Nov 30, 2023
Rigorous environmental testing has begun for the Shooting Star cargo module - Dream Chaser's cargo companion - which recently arrived at NASA's Neil Armstrong Test Facility in Ohio. The spacecraft is undergoing a comprehensive testing campaign to ensure it can withstand the rigor of launch and the challenging conditions of space as it's readied for its inaugural mission to resupply the International Space Station.