Belligerent
Bellicose
so probably best to go with
SSN names. Anyone still around
for the next lot in the 2050s
the RN can go back to the R
class.

Re: Dreadnought SSBN names

I think they must be looking to use previous battleship names - there could be a problem with utilising alphabetical 'D' names - after all we have the Type 45's using that as a primary source.
If some some reason they stuck with D's though, there is Devastation and Defiance, but after that I come up empty!!!!

Dauntless, Drake, Dragon, I'm sure there are lots of others.
Death, Destiny, Dream, Destruction, Desire, Despair, Delight, Delirium if you want to go full Gaiman.

If you want to go Iain M Banks style:

Frank Exchange of Views
It's Nothing Personal
An Excess of Gravitas
Was That Me?

Arjen said:
Dauntless, Drake, Dragon, I'm sure there are lots of others.
Death, Destiny, Dream, Destruction, Desire, Despair, Delight, Delirium if you want to go full Gaiman.

Already an HMS Dragon (D35) and HMS Dauntless (D33), destroyers of the Daring class. HMS Devastation is probably likely.

HMS Devastation is probably likely.

My (somewhat more serious) guess is that names that do not seem overtly belligerent would be used. The deterrent force is highly political and names that suggest steadfastness and virtue rather than aggression would be used (even though there is a Vengeance now, that denotes a counterattack after aggression). Defender, Dependable, Diligent, maybe even Deterrent would be likely.

Donald is not likely.

By the way, I had read that the names proposed for the G-3 battlecruisers were St Andrew, St George, St David and St Patrick. Is there any information on this?

I could also see them using Diligence, although it was most recently utilised for an RFA repair ship.
I am a bit surprised about using Dreadnought to begin with, after all, although they have been de-commissioned, the original SSN still exists - along with the other SSN’s and SSBN’s.

WTH regards to the G3’s - The ‘Saint’ names I think we’re first mentioned in Brewers ‘Battleships and Battlecruisers’ in relation to the never built N3 class battleships - in-fact, having checked, even Breyers entry said 'names very doubtful. For the G3 Battlecruisers, again in Breyer, it was suggested that the original ‘I’ class names were to be re-utilised.

As predicted somewhere here, the Royal Navy has named the next two boats in the "Dreadnought" class of SSBN "Valiant" and "Warspite" after the early SSNs. The fourth ship will presumably be named "Churchill" after the fourth SSN commissioned

Hood Thanks for merging. I had forgotten where the thread was.

I am interested to read you think that "political" reasons might impact on the name. Presumably "Conqueror" would be similarly difficult as the Labour Party still dispute the legitimacy of her sinking of the Belgrano. That would leave "Courageous", which would be a suitable name. However, Churchill was the fourth boat.

Names for political figures are fairly rare in the Royal Navy. While it might have seemed a good idea to name the original SSN after him so soon after his death, Churchill is a more divisive figure 50 years on. Undoubtedly he would still top a public poll for a warship naming contest, but when you're toting around an arsenal that could wipe half the planet away it would seem a touch insensitive. Also, Churchill at the end of his political days rather feared the consequences of a thermonuclear holocaust and would probably have entered into a arms reduction treaty had it been possible to do so at that time, so it would be a touch ironic.

Hood
All are very good points.
Might be academic if we have a Corbyn Government.
"Conqueror" is probably also a problem because of the Belgrano episode.
Courageous or possibly even Swiftsure

No problem with "Conqueror", regardless of the Belgrano 'incident'. There was a short but admittedly bloody war.

The Navy have announced that the fourth boat will be named King George VI. This makes no sense as a submarine name. The names of the new SSBNs may indicate that cancellation is thought likely

The Navy have announced that the fourth boat will be named King George VI. This makes no sense as a submarine name. The names of the new SSBNs may indicate that cancellation is thought likely
How so? The early Royal Navy SSNs used battleship names, the already-named Dreads were all battleship names also used on SSNs. Had KGVI been a WW2 battleship name, there would have been minimal eye-batting if the name had returned on an early SSN and now on a SSBN. This name says to me the RN is honoring KGVI was worthy of the battleship which, due to the realities of time and technology, he was never honored with.

A fair point, but I just find the names do not go together as well as the names with the same letter selected for the V and R class SSBNs.
These reflected the deterrent role better.

Just to emphasise:
Resolution Renown Revenge Repulse
Vanguard Victorious Vigilant Vengeance
whereas
Dreadnought Valiant (ok but dont seem to belong together) Warspite and King George VI
is a bit of a hodge podge.

The Hodge podge criticism is fair, though having been used to the USN's approach to naming, it's not something that immediately comes to mind ;).

No its not a hodge podge at all. I thought all along that they would be commemorating old battleship names.
I had my suspicions that the repeating of the SSN line was coincidental to the fact that the names were all used on battleships. That was one reason I thought Churchill was unlikely (as well as the political aspects).

On a sidenote however, this probably means the Navy will have the highest number of Royally-connected names than it has had for many years, probably since WW2. Queen Elizabeth and Duke of Edinburgh never made through to being actual names during the post-war period (proposed for CVA-01 and GW96 cruiser respectively). In many ways its a shame the carriers didn't use some of the old aircraft carrier names rather than recycling two (albeit famous) battleship names.

It is at the end of the day a subjective matter. I would have liked the new carriers to be Ark Royal and Eagle.
I accept that battleship names are the source for Deterrent vessel names but the RN managed a much more coherent and appropriate set of names for the R and V class.

I was under the apprehension that KGVI didn't want a warship named after him, hence the 2nd iteration of KGVs being KGVs. Not sure, if true, why that decision isn't continuing to be honoured. I would avoid naming the SSBNs after any personage really. Anyone for another Indomitable?

Ensign 1 - King George the Fifth Class Battleships by Alan Raven, Bivouac Books 1972 has this to say on the naming of ships of this class:
The new ships were known as the King George V class; tradition dictated that the first capital ship launched in the reign of a new monarch should take his name, but King George VI was adamant that his father should be honoured. His wishes were followed, but the tradition was catered for by naming the second ship Duke of York, the king's previous title. There was also a difference of opinion concerning other ships of the class, for two were to bear the names of Admirals Beatty and Jellicoe. The controversy over the respective merits of these two flag-officers was still fresh in the memory of many, and indeed neither admiral had been dead for very long, so the older names of Anson and Howe were revived in their place.
Wiki says Prince of Wales was named to honour Edward VIII.

Interesting, thanks. I'm still of the opinion a SSBN is an odd duck for that name but I'm not pinning anything to the mast over it!