Douglas XC-132

Golfus

Lo que diga Don Manué
Reaction score
Good morning, ladies (I hope) and gentelmen.
Here you have a really astounding transport and tanker aircraft projected in 1957.
You can find more info at www.angelfire.com/wa2/c133bcargomaster/c133bdevelopment.html

A salute to all.

Attachments

• xc-132-1.jpg
    xc-132-1.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,548
  • C132InFlt.jpg
    C132InFlt.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 1,315
I have been trying to find info on this project for years, without to much success.
I think the USAF (and the US Army more so for that matter) missed a good opportunity to have an effective long-ranged and heavy lift capability, that would have served the US well in the early years of the Vietnam War (until the advent of the Lockheed C-5 Galaxy).
It is very disappointing also that the US was to give up on truly powerful turboprop engine designs, while the Soviets were able to perfect them, and utilize them in many successful aircraft designs, like that of the An-22 and the Tu-95

Were there any other design submissions to this requirement?

Regards
Pioneer

I think there's a mention of this aircraft in Le Fana de l'aviation from late 2002 (article on the Boeing 707 and... KC-135).
Wasn't this project a turboprop derivative of the C-124 Globemaster, and a harsh competitor to the KC-135 ? All beeing tendered to replace the KC-97 (which had to dive to refuelled fast jets :eek:).
I think there's was also a Lockheed contender (can't remember the number) which was declared winner, but in the end, dozens of... Boeing were bought instead.
And yes, it's a pity the Turbodyne was abandoned circa 1950 (I red that a prototype reached 10 000 hp on a testbench :eek: , not too far from the NK-12...)

Golfus said:
Good morning, ladies (I hope) and gentelmen.
Here you have a really astounding transport and tanker aircraft projected in 1957.
You can find more info at www.angelfire.com/wa2/c133bcargomaster/c133bdevelopment.html

A salute to all.

The website belongs to Cal Taylor (Secret Projects member "firstfleet") and if anyone wishes to know more about the XC-132 and related, but smaller, C-133, he has written and published a book on the topic.

Pioneer said:
I have been trying to find info on this project for years, without to much success.
I think the USAF (and the US Army more so for that matter) missed a good opportunity to have an effective long-ranged and heavy lift capability, that would have served the US well in the early years of the Vietnam War (until the advent of the Lockheed C-5 Galaxy).
It is very disappointing also that the US was to give up on truly powerful turboprop engine design, while the Soviets were able to perfect them, and utilize them in many successful aircraft designs, like that of the An-22 and the Tu-95

Regards
Pioneer

The XC-132 would have been a great deal more advanced than the far later straight wing, lower performance An-22, but is easy to see why it was cancelled?

The order for the military C-135 literally kickstarted the age of the civilian jet transport. Boeing took a huge risk in launching the civilian 707, and while they might it really took military orders to make the initial investment worthwhile.

In any event, the troubled history of the smaller C-133 makes it clear that the XC-132 cancellation was probably for the best.

Given a choice between the C-135 and XC-132, it is hard to even secondguess the decision that was actually made.

Ummm, C-135 and XC-132, they were two very different beasts.... As far as I know the C-135 was a short term solution for a fast transport aircraft, a requirement that was really fulfilled only by the C-141... The tanker version was a subsequent development. The XC-132 was bult for the relatively fast trasport of oversize cargo (follow-on of the C-124 ).

Pioneer said:
It is very disappointing also that the US was to give up on truly powerful turboprop engine design, while the Soviets were able to perfect them, and utilize them in many successful aircraft designs, like that of the An-22 and the Tu-95

Regards
Pioneer

I'm pretty sure this is the engine. . .

Attachments

• 15000shp motor.jpg
    15000shp motor.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 1,088
If I remember correctly, the engine chosen for the XC-132 was the T57, a turboprop that , I believe, used the gas generator of the J57, hence the horsepower ratings shown.

The wings look like you might be able to use DC-8 wings to model this aircraft.

I think that the "engine" photo may just be the propeller test stand at WPAFB. The hardware was used later to test compressors. In any event that's a contraprop and I think the T57 was single-rotation.
Pratt's "black museum" collection has a T57.

Early artist drawing from Flightglobal;
http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1957/1957%20-%200186.html

Attachments

• C-132.JPG
    C-132.JPG
    46.6 KB · Views: 1,113
Archibald said:
I think there's a mention of this aircraft in Le Fana de l'aviation from late 2002 (article on the Boeing 707 and... KC-135).
In Le Fana de l'Aviation #470 (of late 2008) there is a photograph of the not-completed YC-132 being built (page 30). Amazing. :)

A couple of pics from Bill Gunston's "Giants of the Sky"

Attachments

• XC-132 full scale mock-up.jpg
    XC-132 full scale mock-up.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 1,134
  • XC-132.jpg
    XC-132.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 554
A more info about XC-132;

http://www.flightglobal.com/pdfarchive/view/1957/1957%20-%200229.html?search=douglas%20c-132

Attachments

• XC-132.JPG
    XC-132.JPG
    43.9 KB · Views: 453
T57 being tested onboard of C-124
photo courtesy P&W from Advanced Engine Development At Pratt and Whitney by D.Mulready

Attachments

• T57-tests-sm.jpg
    T57-tests-sm.jpg
    104.4 KB · Views: 1,062
Factory proposal model (wood) of Douglas C-132A (Jim Keeshen Collection)

Attachments

• Douglas C-132A Model.jpg
    Douglas C-132A Model.jpg
    215.3 KB · Views: 1,060
Archipeppe, your personal contribution is a magnificent drawing. Well done, and thanks.

foiling said:
Archipeppe, your personal contribution is a magnificent drawing. Well done, and thanks.

I'm glad that you're appreicate this. ;D

For those who have access to the AF Historical Research Agency's collections at Maxwell AFB, AL, there is a Douglas brochure, "XC-132 Logistic Transport," under call number K146.01-15Q, 53/00/00C. It's not dated, but ca. 1953 and includes imagery and stats for both the cargo and tanker versions. The tanker, BTW, used hose reels in wing-tip pods for probe-and-drogue.

Peppe, are you positevely, conclusively, sure of THAT green ?

Skybolt said:
Peppe, are you positevely, conclusively, sure of THAT green ?

Mmmmm.... frankly speaking no..... I was unable to find a decent color key for the "European One".
If someone has more info I will glad to correct the drawing.

Greetings All -

Would like nice on my office wall!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-Douglas-Factory-C-132-Prototype-Model-/270954130956?_trksid=p4340.m1374&_trkparms=algo%3DUPI.GIROS%26its%3DI%252BC%252BS%26itu%3DUCI%252BUCC%26otn%3D15%26pmod%3D230774696742%26ps%3D63%26clkid%3D7761209301146988879

Enjoy the Day! Mark

Adding the pics lest they should disappear...

Attachments

• C-132 wall display 07.JPG
    C-132 wall display 07.JPG
    490.9 KB · Views: 222
  • C-132 wall display 06.JPG
    C-132 wall display 06.JPG
    418.1 KB · Views: 171
  • C-132 wall display 05.JPG
    C-132 wall display 05.JPG
    410.9 KB · Views: 184
  • C-132 wall display 04.JPG
    C-132 wall display 04.JPG
    421.3 KB · Views: 182
  • C-132 wall display 03.JPG
    C-132 wall display 03.JPG
    419.8 KB · Views: 185
  • C-132 wall display 02.JPG
    C-132 wall display 02.JPG
    394.8 KB · Views: 204
  • C-132 wall display 01.JPG
    C-132 wall display 01.JPG
    496.9 KB · Views: 284
Orionblamblam said:
For reasons unclear, I've been working away on APR V3N3 recently. The old C-132 article will be substantially improved.

Just for the 3d view of twin boom version I'm going to buy the issue :)

Here are the CAD drawings I've worked up for V3N3. These will be formatted for standard 8.5X11 PDFs and MagCloud, and probably also for an 11X17 "addendum" PDF.

Attachments

• V3N3 2013-03-2.gif
    V3N3 2013-03-2.gif
    126 KB · Views: 462
From what I gather, there was a Douglas proposal identified as XKC-132. But, whilst most likely there would have been a tanker version if the C-132 design had been built, the KC-132 picture shown in AAHS is definitely an artist impression and I doubt KC-132 was ever a formal or even informal designation.

Additional information by Ron Downey on the Douglas C-132 proposal.
Additional information on the Douglas C-132 proposal. More photos to follow.

The newspaper article comes from Jack Abercrombie who has this to say: "My first job after graduation was as an aerodynamicist on the C-132 at Douglas Tulsa. The very day before reporting for work, the newspaper in Tulsa reported the contract cancellation. What an interesting way to start a career."

Credit: Jack Abercrombie

Click here for newspaper article and more photos

Click here for original blog post
Source: http://aviationarchives.blogspot.de/2015/09/douglas-c-132-update-1.html

Been some time since I've looked at the XC-132 thread.
You've been busy and productive gents.
Thank you!!

Does anyone know what 'Weapons System' designation the XC-132 was developed in answer too?

Regards
Pioneer

Pioneer said:
Does anyone know what 'Weapons System' designation the XC-132 was developed in answer too?

It was done in answer to MX-1707. I am not aware of any WS- designation for it, and I doubt it would have carried the WS- prefix anyway, since this was used by definition for armed systems (missiles, fighters, bombers, etc.). SS- would be more like it, and of course it is tempting to believe that it could have been either 401 or 403 (both unaccounted for), since the (SS-)400 series was the C-130 and SS-402L was the C-133...

Hi,

from the magazine,Missiles and Rockets,here is a shadow for Dougals C-132 & C-133,
carrying Atals ICBM.

Attachments

• 613.jpg
    613.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 696
Douglas C-132 Display Model Photos
Nice photos of the Douglas C-132 display model. Credit: Tulsa Air & Space Museum Collection via The Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum.
Click here to view display model photos.

Douglas C-132 Mock Up Photos
All the Douglas C-132 Mock Up Photos that I have. A “Magnificent Beast” for sure! Credit: Jack Abercrombie via The Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum.
Click here to view photos.

Edit 1:
Douglas C-132 Wind Tunnel Flutter Model
Douglas C-132 Wind Tunnel 1/30th scale Flutter Model photos. Credit: The Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum.
Click here to view photos

Douglas C-132 Antenna Test Model
A few 1954 photos of the Douglas C-132 1/10th antenna test model. Douglas was VERY serious about this aircraft! Credit: The Greater St. Louis Air and Space Museum
Click here to view photos.

Douglas C-132 Write Up and Termination Letter
The Douglas C-132 project termination letter, a final company write up letter extoling the virtues of the aircraft and a copy of the preliminary confidential, marked up letter (With more info).
Click here to view pages.
Edit 2:
Douglas C-132 Atlas Missile Carrier Proposal
An interesting side note to the Douglas C-132 saga was this small clipping in Missiles and Rockets magazine about Douglas Aircraft’s proposal to build the C-132 as an Atlas ICBM missile carrier.
Click here to view clipping

Source: http://aviationarchives.blogspot.com/

Back
Top Bottom