Douglas/Edo XC-47C: a "Gooney Bird" on floats

'War Planes of the Second World War: Floatplanes' by William Green has an entry on the c-47 floatplane.
From DC3history.org:

At one point, the C-47 grew a pair of water wings. Initially, planners thought the Navy and Marine island hopping campaign in the Pacific would require an amphibian float plane since they knew many of the islands were without airfields.
The Edo Corporation, of College Point, N.Y. designed, and built twin, 1-ton floats, (the largest floats ever built). Each float was 42 feet long, five feet, eight inches wide, and displaced 29,000 pounds of water. The cellular construction of each float had 14 separate water-tight compartments. Each float also had a 325 gallon fuel tank. The floats had fully retractable, hydraulic wheels, and could land on water, snow or land. The float rudders were connected to the air rudder.
They could be disconnected in flight.The C-47C weighed 34,162 pounds and had several serious deficiencies. Pilots found the C-47C difficult to launch in rough water, and performed like a pogo stick when landing on anything but a mirror smooth body of water. It had a high tire failure on land, and was difficult to handle in a crosswind landing. The C-47C was slow on take-off and JATO bottles did little to improve its performance. It was also about 30 mph slower than its sisters without floats.
<edit>
The Edo Corporation, of College Point, N.Y. designed, and built twin, 1-ton floats, (the largest floats ever built).
Probably not true about them being the biggest, because the CANT Z.511 floatplane was twice as heavy as the C-47; I'd guess its floats would be twice as big too.
</edit>

Last edited:
Stargazer2006 said:
Graham1973 said:
It's true, you can land a Goony Bird anywhere....

Certainly not a project!

Actually the report was into wind tunnel tests to sort out the tail design, for some reason I could not add the second picture showing the tail designs tested when I made the post.

Interesting, because the C-47C as built had the standard tail.
<edit> replaced broken image link from War Planes of the Second World War: Floatplanes by William Green, MacDonald 1962.

Attachments

• C-47C.jpg
    C-47C.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
from " Le Fana de l aviation"

Attachments

• c 47.jpg
    c 47.jpg
    722.3 KB · Views: 1,198
famvburg said:
Just curious. Why is this in the Unbuilt Projects section, since it was actually built?

According to the forum rules (point 5) :
"...Prototypes that didn't enter series production may also be appropriate at the descretion of the moderators. ..." ;)

To my opinion, that's a point, that wasn't postulated without a good reason. "Project" generally means, to build an
aircraft in series, not just as a single example. So, the status as a project not necessarily ends with building a
prototype.

From
-Scale Aircraft Modelling-January 2005
-Unknown source

Attachments

• ñ.jpg
    ñ.jpg
    369.8 KB · Views: 118
  • ñ 001.jpg
    ñ 001.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 112
[font=]In 1943 a C‑47 was fitted with Edo floats giving it a length of 64'7", 19.69 m and reducing the max, speed to 191 mph, 307 km/h. The aircraft, which had serial 42‑5671, was redesignated as XC‑47C and was tested in the Pacific Ocean area. At least another four aircraft (41‑18582 42-92577, 42‑92699 and 42-108868) were converted to a similar standard and were redesignated as C‑47C. [/font]

famvburg said:
Just curious. Why is this in the Unbuilt Projects section, since it was actually built?

Please note that the section is not called "Unbuilt projects" but "EARLY Projects", which means the aircraft MAY have been built, but only for experimental purposes or as prototypes for unproduced variants.
I believe part of the confusion also stems from the misunderstanding over the word "Project"... For many people, it implies something that was not completed, achieved or finalized, but in corporate language, it can also be used for a program, from inception to completion.

The XC-47C could also have been placed in the Aerospace section if we'd had a topic on C-47/DC-3 special variants, for instance, but standing on its own, I believe it is best in the Early Projects section for now.

As of the summer of 1991, this aircraft was located at Moosehead Lake, Maine USA. I was able to see it during the "Sea Plane" fly-in that year.
It looked as though it was flyable and in good shape.
Haven't been there since then. I hope it still exists.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember that post-war one or more DC-3s were fitted with floats but I cannot find that reference back - so I might be wrong. Anyway, before we assume that the aircraft seen at the SeaPlane Fly In is one of the converted C-47s, can we try to find its current registration so that we can trace the history of that particular aircraft.

Jos, reply #5 has a scan from Le Fana de l'Aviation which tells just that story. In 1987, the then new owners of C-53 42-68804 c/n 11731 discovered an unused set of EDO floats somewhere in Texas.

Somewhere in the back of my mind I seem to remember that post-war one or more DC-3s were fitted with floats but I cannot find that reference back - so I might be wrong. Anyway, before we assume that the aircraft seen at the SeaPlane Fly In is one of the converted C-47s, can we try to find its current registration so that we can trace the history of that particular aircraft.