Dornier Do. Q (circa 1925)

Pelzig

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I found this two page German document within a 1925 Japanese collection of official papers. In this document, which was sent to Kawasaki, it mentions a Do. Q aircraft. Problem is, I can find no reference to this designation. In fact, it seems that Dornier jumped "Q" in their aircraft names. Kawasaki did produce the Do. J, however.

Now THAT is some find of historic significance! A Dornier designation believed to have been skipped and found to have actually existed. Thanks a lot for sharing.

The first paragraph reads, roughly:

"To their request, regarding the work progress of the Do. Q - (machine with Siemens motor), [would] like to share with them [Kawasaki?] that we will be expecting such a motor from the delivery company and then try to make it [Do. Q]. We assume that with this engine, a better performance of the Do. Q will be achieved."

The second paragraph:

"[As far as] flying the Do. Q, built [using the] Le Rhone engine is concerned, it was executed some time before another flight with the maximum payload. The engine of the [Do. Q] started effortlessly in 20 seconds, however, the speed [was] very low, which was detected by [comparison to the Dragonfly (Do. A)] and it found that the rate [speed?] of the Do. Q was [inferior] to the Dragonfly. Also on the water, the rotating mass of the motor [required] that the turn down the Le Rhone engine [to] only 800 [Touren?] and the pilot is forced to temporarily turn off the ignition to the engine. The consequences of this is that the boat [was] pretty jerky and restless and rolls up after turning the ignition [on]. The flight tests were, therefore, with the Do. Q [using the] Le Rhone."

Third paragraph:

"So we must ask them [Kawasaki?] to be patient in this affair, until we try our exports [engines] with [the] built-in Siemens motor [note: Siemens engines powered the Do. A] [as we regret that opposition to ] the Le Rhone engine [has] stiffened. It will be understandable to them that the Do. Q [will] only achieve good results and for this reason [we must]refrain from [using] the Le Rhone engine.

Your faithfully,

Dornier-Metallbauten G.m.b.H."

'Typenhandbuch der deutschen Luftfahrttechnik' by Lange, von Gersdorff & Schliephake mentions the Do Q as a submarine-carried aircraft. No further information.

AFAIK, the Germans pretty much gave up on sub-launched aircraft following WW1 and only returning to it after the 1920s. It is plausible, though, that since the Japanese were enamored with sub-launched aircraft, that Dornier would seek to produce one for the Japanese to evaluate. Japan's first aircraft carrying submarine was the I-5 that was completed in 1932. It would explain the problems the Do. Q had on the water in terms of rough alighting.

But, Dornier used the Do. A (called the Libelle, meaning "Dragonfly") as a comparison aircraft and it would seem to me that a more diminutive aircraft (assuming the Do. Q was built smaller) would not compare favorably with a larger aircraft that could use more powerful engines.

I imagine the mystery deepens. :)

Arjen said:
'Typenhandbuch der deutschen Luftfahrttechnik' by Lange, von Gersdorff & Schliephake mentions the Do Q as a submarine-carried aircraft. No further information.