Douglas XO-10 Attack Airplane

ACResearcher

Author/researcher/illustrator.
Reaction score
I recently obtained a U.S. Army Air Service Specification, dated November 12, 1925, for an attack airplane named above from Douglas.

From the 14-page detailed specification:

"1. This specification covers the general requirements of the Air Service for the Douglas Ground Attack Airplane, Designation XO-10, around the unsupercharged Liberty-12 engine. This specification outlines the necessary changes, additions and deductions from the conditions called for in Specification No. 1576-A, a part of this specification.

2. The Ground Attack Airplane herein specified will be made from a Douglas O-2 Observation Airplane, requiring sufficient changes to the wing cellule, fuselage and landing chassis to satisfy the condition for which this type airplane was originated..."

The document then goes on with ten sections in great detail about the specifics of the above-mentioned changes.

My question is this: Has anyone else ever heard of this aircraft??

There are many interesting tidbits which come into question, the first being that as a proposed Attack Airplane it is given an XO designation which should be for an Observation Aircraft. Second, there was an O-10 but it was a Loening design. The A-10 was a Curtiss radial engine re-design of the A-8 which eventually became the A-12.

Could this Specification have become the XA-2?

I do not believe I have a copy of Specification No. 1576-A. If anyone has this could you please share it with me?? ag122651 at hotmail dot com

This is one of those fascinating items that can only come up with researching original documents. I've never seen any reference ANYWHERE to this particular aircraft and designation.

Have you?

Your responses are most gratefully requested.

AlanG

Could this Specification have become the XA-2?
The A-2 lwas an O-2 with the inverted, air-cooled Liberty developed by Allison, so I suppose it is possible

Attachments

• xa2-3.jpg
    xa2-3.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 29
  • xa2-2.jpg
    xa2-2.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 29
My dear Alan,

I think I can solve this problem,of course it was an observation designation,but in that period it used
also for light attack aircraft,in the year 1925,the USAAF wanted to develop its old series from O-1
and O-2 into a more powerful engined versions,it could be the loser to O-11 Curtiss ?.

Back
Top Bottom