Dornier Do 228 AEW

Voltzz

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
I found an article in the Dornier Post about their ideas for a small, relatively cheap AEW aircraft based on the Do228. The radar they chose was the Thorn EMI Skymaster mounted in 2 different version, either in the nose or in a radome on top of the aircraft.
Do-Post_88-2

Attachments

• Do228AEWalt.JPG
    Do228AEWalt.JPG
    134.5 KB · Views: 598
  • Do228AEWart.JPG
    Do228AEWart.JPG
    254 KB · Views: 155
  • Do228AEWlayout.JPG
    Do228AEWlayout.JPG
    126.4 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Any idea which radar position provided better coverage? Nose mounted looks neater anyway!

Wedgetail type would be the current style but where would that fall in ability/aerodynamic cost?

@CJGibson - I wonder if the height of the radome (moment arm I think) and it being behind(?) what appears to be the aircraft CG might create some stability issues. A wedgetail might be better aerodynamically, but I think there might be a significant weight penalty associated with it.

That spherical widget looks like it would introduce a pitch up tendency.

Looks very ripe for von Kármán vortex street or von Kármán vortices. Couple that with a nearby airframe resonance mode, and you will very soon have a load of scrap aluminum flying in close formation in a descending trajectory.

Vortex-street-animation.gif

@CJGibson - I wonder if the height of the radome (moment arm I think) and it being behind(?) what appears to be the aircraft CG might create some stability issues. A wedgetail might be better aerodynamically, but I think there might be a significant weight penalty associated with it.
Dunno, to paraphrase Oddball, I just draw 'em, I don't know how they work.

View: https://youtu.be/TzsNh3-FnHQ

Chris

If they can put spiral 'spoilers' on skinny tubular masts, factory chimneys, oil-rig legs etc etc, perhaps there's an equivalent for 'egg-shaped' ??

If they can put spiral 'spoilers' on skinny tubular masts, factory chimneys, oil-rig legs etc etc, perhaps there's an equivalent for 'egg-shaped' ??
Those spiral spoilers defeat von Karman Waves from every angle.
Spoilers for an AWACS only need to discourage turbulence from one angle: dead a head.
The simplest cure for AWACS legs/struts is teardrop shaped struts with a chord to length ratio of 1:3 or greater.

I might have a go at the Pilzradom next.

Chris

View attachment 690637
That bulbous nose radome reminds us of a similar installation on a British Army Britten-Norman Islander/Defender. The Islander needed an extended nosewheel strut to prevent the radome from dragging on the runway.