Dornier - Alpha Jet KWS

fightingirish

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Over the weekend I got the copy of the German magazine Flug Revue, January 1987.
On the second page there was an advertisement for the Dornier - Alpha Jet KWS (Kampfwertsteigerung/engl.: combat efficiency improvement or mid-life update (MLU)).
Here some Info of the possible upgrade program:
-engine upgrade
-missiles launchers at the wingtips
-single piece forward canopy
-new MFD's and HUD's probably
-FLIR
-A/G radar
-chaff & flare dispenser
-radar warning receiver
-AGM-65 Maverick
-AIM-9 Sidewinder
-sub-munitions dispenser
-vertical weapon system (?)

Folks, can you confirm or complement my information?
Sources:

Attachments

• AlphaJet_KWS.jpg
    AlphaJet_KWS.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 529
The vertical weapon system was a podded anti-tank weapon which fired projectiles downward as the carrier aircraft overflew the target, proposed for the Tornado IDS as well. Basically, a modern take on the Schräge Musik principle, applied to air to ground missions - I think the rectangular dispensers on your image actually show the system. The obvious flaw in the concept was the requirement of direct overflight over the target, of course - a suicidal proposition against contemporary tactical airdefences. Predictably, somebody realised the force of this argument eventually and the concept was binned.

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, I don't have access to the FlugRevue issue where I recall reading about it...

May there have been parallels to the Lancier ?
Seems to have a greater span and the one-piece windshield ... ???

Hi
(sorry for my English)

Trident said:
The vertical weapon system was a podded anti-tank weapon which fired projectiles downward as the carrier aircraft overflew the target, proposed for the Tornado IDS as well. Basically, a modern take on the Schräge Musik principle, applied to air to ground missions - I think the rectangular dispensers on your image actually show the system.

I think it's rather MSOW/SR-SOM/MoBiDiC - a more conventional cluster weapon, glide-type dispenser - than VEBAL. I remember some pictures of this "vertical weapon" (called VEBAL, VBW or Syndrom) - the early dispensers were more streamlined, with round or elliptical cross-section, the late model were rectangular but more flat than these on photo, and have many holes on upper surface for gas exhaust (the projectiles were rocket-propelled grenades). I try to find these pictures and write something about VBW later.

Sounds a little like a German equivalent to Thomson Brandt’s BM400 / CASCAD? (Close Air Support Cargo Dispenser)

This was a 390kg glide/rocket boosted dispenser with 3x 90kg modules for fragmentation charges/submunitions, 5-10km standoff range in toss bombing attack)

2705_101812084_ScrSt_007.jpg

2705_101812084_ScrSt_008.jpg

Last edited: