Dornier 4 engined bombers

Wurger

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
Hi guys :),

I wonder if Dornier ever designed a four engined bomber after the Do 19 "Ural Bomber". All the literature I have fails to provide any hint on it. Taking that this company was well acquainted with big frames, one is surprised to see no projects in this category.

Does anyone know more on this?

He274 and the He177B or He277 were all four engined variants of the He177.

I expect that Wurger was looking forDornier 4-engined aircraft after the Ural-bomber (Do 19). Here, the Do 24 probably doesn't count as it has 3 engines. The Do 26 - although not a bomber (it's a flying boat) Might count; but if Wurger is just looking for Dornier "Huge Beasties", the 8-engined Do 214 might edify :)

Thanks for your replys, guys, but I was aiming at bombers. The project lists I have, pertaining to Dornier ( quite incomplete, with huge gaps between project designations ) do not show any work on 4(+) heavy bombers. That`s amazing, considering this company`s traditions.

Dornier Do-335Z/Do-635/Heinkel P.1075/ Junkers Ju-635
4-engine long-range reconnaissance aircraft.

It might very well be the case that Dornier did not do any more work on heavy bombers, since the Do 19 never received a production contract.

Beware, however that there is a drawing of a "Do 219", a hypothetical developement of the Do 19, in Mike Spicks fictional book "Luftwaffe victorious".

Well, one sentence in the Amazon review is :
"What if Goering, the brilliant yet flawed Luftwaffe commander, had died prematurely in
September 1940?"

Don't know, if the basis is much better, than "What if Hitler had fled to South America
an gathered engineers and designers for an attempt, to resurrect the german
airforce". It's probably an interesting novel, but is it more ?

As far as i'm aware, after the Ural Bomber, Dornier - as far as bombers were concerned - concentrated upon 2-engined medium bombers; like the Do 17, 215, 217 and 317. Otherwise, for "biggies", they concentrated upon flying boats :)

PS. LOL Jemiba ;)

Attachments

• Do-335Z_(He P.1075).jpg
    Do-335Z_(He P.1075).jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 307
Does the Do-317B count? It should have 2 DB 610 (Who actually are two DB 605 coupled together)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_317

Dy' Know, Chris - that's a damn splendid point - i didn't think of that :-[

Just found this:

Dornier Do 235, a four engined bomber

in

http://www.designation-systems.net/non-us/germany.html

Primary source is: USAAF Air Materiel Command: "List of German Air Ministry Aircraft Numbers" (Foreign Equipment Descriptive Brief 46-6B, 21 August 1946).

Could have been a real project. I still stick to my belief in Dornier`s stepping from the 2 engined formula ;).

Just found this:

Dornier Do 235, a four engined bomber

in

Primary source is: USAAF Air Materiel Command: "List of German Air Ministry Aircraft Numbers" (Foreign Equipment Descriptive Brief 46-6B, 21 August 1946).

Could have been a real project. I still stick to my belief in Dornier`s stepping from the 2 engined formula ;).
Dan Sharp says that there is no evidence from wartime Dornier documents that Dornier came up with a four-engine bomber design bearing the slot 8-235, and he believes that the Dornier project number P.235 was accidentally written as 'Do 235' because Dornier's project numbers used both 'Do' and a three digit project code.

It might very well be the case that Dornier did not do any more work on heavy bombers, since the Do 19 never received a production contract.

Beware, however that there is a drawing of a "Do 219", a hypothetical developement of the Do 19, in Mike Spicks fictional book "Luftwaffe victorious".
Yes , that seems a " small B-29" i have seen this book can be borrowed @ archive.org for 1 hour .