differentiating canard

rousseau

ACCESS: Secret
Reaction score
Do you know any canards aircraft that canards are differetiating.
I mean the canard on these aircraft are all moving and moving asynchronously when it is necessary.

I don't know if most do, but many do.

The Gripen is one example at least:

250px-Swedish_JAS-39_Gripen_landing.jpg

The photo you posted just shows one side the foreplan moving down, but no shows other side is moving up.
sorry.

I'm pretty sure they're differentiating, just no photos available (you can only get such a view with a full head-on or tail shot, after all) but at least it's all-moving.

MUCH harder that I thought to find a picture showing the foreplanes at different angles. The foreplanes on Gripen, Rafale and Typhoon are differential all-moving, but normally they are aligned with the airflow or moving together for pitch control. They are powerful control surfaces and make small, quick movements - you might try watching some videos to see them move. You are most likely to see them visibly move differentially during ground flight-control checks.

BUT I did find this one of a Rafale with the port foreplane horizontal (visible behind the guy on the ladder) and the starboard one angled leading-edge up.

PS - I was always taught that "canard" is an aircraft configuration and that the things at the front are "foreplanes", not canards...

Attachments

• _DSF7664.jpg
    _DSF7664.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 76
Hmmm, if someone find photo shows foreplan could all-move differentially not only synchronously, which will be very much significent!
I will talk this after it be found

I think CammNut is probably right - the reason that you never see photos of them being deflected is that, when they are, things start to happen very quickly.

So, no lensman notice such moment is really important to study tech of aviation and be wonderful to aviation fans? Let's call them to do it! :D

Hmmm, if someone find photo shows foreplan could all-move differentially not only synchronously, which will be very much significent!
I will talk this after it be found
CF-18 Hornet can "differentiate" its large all-flying, horizontal tails to roll the airplane. Those horizontal tails are HUGE, half the span of the main wings! This can come in handy when all the electronics quit and the pilot only retains hand-hydraulic control via the control stick. When electronic auto-pilots and electronic stability augmentation systems fail, they lose control of rudders, flaps and speed brakes. It is rumored that only a single Canadian pilot has successfully landed a disabled CF-18 on cold Lake.s 11,000 foot runway.