Difference between Su-27 and Su-27M

chuck4

ACCESS: Top Secret
Reaction score
I am interested in converting a Su-27 model into a Su-27M.

The external differences I've noticed are:

1. Twin nose wheels

2. modified LEX with canards

3. Squared off vertical fin cap

4. IFR probe on the left hand side under cockpit windscreen

5. IRST relocated to the right handside of the cockpit windscreen

6. The dougue chute door seems to have been removed from the end of the tail sting. The end of tail stinger now seem to terminate in a radom.

I have some questions regarding other differences that appears to be there on photos, but which I would like to verify:

1. Are nose radoms the same? Visually there seems to be subtle reprofiling of the nose radom. It seems slightly shorter and more tapered on the Su-27M.

2. Is the forward fuselage changed at all? visually it seem be have grown slightly fatter on the Su-27M

3. Is the tail stinger of the same physical length and diameter as before? It looks fatter on the Su-27M.

Can anyone help me with these differences?

Also, photos of the bellie of standard Su-27 shows the roof of the tunnel between the two engine nacells is flat, except for the bulge to accommodate the tail stinger. But on Hasagawa's recent highly regarded Su-33 model kit, the tunnel of the roof on the naval flanker is not a single flat surface, but consist of two surfaces that meets in a shallow ridge down the middle of the aircraft. Is this a uniquely Su-33 feature? What is the purpose of this subtle modification?

BTW, is it fair to assume the Su-33 fueselage is the best point of departure for making a Su-27M model? With wings, horizontal tail grafted on from a standard Su-27 model, and modified vertical tail and tail stinger, off course.

chuck4 said:
1. Are nose radoms the same? Visually there seems to be subtle reprofiling of the nose radom. It seems slightly shorter and more tapered on the Su-27M.
2. Is the forward fuselage changed at all? visually it seem be have grown slightly fatter on the Su-27M
3. Is the tail stinger of the same physical length and diameter as before? It looks fatter on the Su-27M.

new radar -> new shorter radome with different shape and increased diameter -> reshaped forward fuselage
longer and thicker 'sting'

differences are well described here at ProPro (these CAD guys have direct connection to Sukhoi DB, NAPO and KnAAPO)
http://propro.ru/flankers/eng/Su-35.htm
google also for Ken Duffey (aka Flankerman) conversion experiences

Attachments

• T-10M-1.jpg
    T-10M-1.jpg
    774.5 KB · Views: 547
  • T-10M-2.jpg
    T-10M-2.jpg
    313 KB · Views: 519
Thanks. Is there any similar planform view of The difference between su-27 and su-27M?

Also, does the forward fuselage of su-33 naval flanker possess the same increased diameter and new radom shape as the su-27M?

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=187256&st=0

chuck4 said:
Thanks. Is there any similar planform view of The difference between su-27 and su-27M?

Also, does the forward fuselage of su-33 naval flanker possess the same increased diameter and new radom shape as the su-27M?
Su-27M = Su-35. That is what it is in my picture. No, Su-33 has standard diameter, only the pitot is shorter and can fold vs vanilla Flanker.

Damn, a good su-27M mod of the new 1/72 trumpeter kit would seem to be no trivial task.

I assume the canopy and canopy rails stayed the same?

Just how much of the forward fuselage was recontoured? Did they set up all new tools and jigs for the whole forward fuselage, or did they keep most of the original shape, but blend in a new deeper lower fuselage and the smooth the front end cross section into a circle to meet the Radom?

In the photos, it appears they kept the upper part of forward fuselage around the canopy the same, made the part below the LEX deeper, and added a section between windscreen and Radom to blend the forward fuselage back to a circular section at the point of the Radom. Is this correct?

>Just how much of the forward fuselage was recontoured?
all of it, including area behind cockpit
all new cross-sections, all new tooling and jigs

Making all new jigs and tooling seems a wasteful way to gain just a little bit of internal volume and small increase in Radar dish diameter.

It would be tricky to make convert standard 27 model to 27M model then. Maybe built up the diameter of forward fuselage by gluing thin strips of styrene to the existing fuselage and then sanding the surface smooth and rescribing the panel lines.

Chuck, try ARC forum members help as well. I know that there are massive (and expensive) conversion sets made for Su-33 and Su-35 (second with this designation) by Windmark
looking at these you can briefly imagine amount of rework to be done from T-10S to T-10M
http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/page/data_image.html?code=z3i4uuukwheqlmt7nqqt&image=/upload/suppliers/HOBBY1234/WAC401LA.jpg
http://www.hobbyeasy.com/en/page/data_image.html?code=db2tg8vkyrq7dzcbyyms&image=/upload/suppliers/HOBBY1234/WAC402LA.jpg

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showforum=3