Derivatives of Dewoitine fighters

Andrewjs2007

ACCESS: Restricted
Reaction score
Dear All

Does anyone have sketches/plans of the following derivatives of the French D.520 fighter -

1) D.522 (Allison V-1710C15 engine)
2) D.523 (Hispano-Suiza 12Y-51 engine)
3) D.524 (Hispano-Suiza 12Z engine)

Also derivative of the D.551 - Dewoitine D.552 (with Hispano-Suiza 12Z engine)

Thanks

Andrew

Hi,

Found in "les dossiers de l'histoire" the story of the project of a double engine D520...abandoned before WW2.

Attachments

• LES DOSSIERS DE L HISTOIRE COUV.jpeg.jpeg
    LES DOSSIERS DE L HISTOIRE COUV.jpeg.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 764
Thanks for sharing this interesting proposal !
As I understand, a modification of the fuselage to carry two engines was proposed,
which to my opinion would have led to a tandem engine layout, maybe with contraprops
as probably the easiest solution, especially as the Hispano-Suiza 12Y already was fitted
with a hollow shaft.

Attachments

• D-520_twin.gif
    D-520_twin.gif
    31.2 KB · Views: 549
I have some doubts about it. Raymond Danel and Jean Cuny made extensive research on Dewoitine aircraft, and do not mention this project in their books on the D.520 and on Dewoitine.
There were tandem twin-engined projects in France at the time, with the Arsenal VG.10 and VG.20 studies that would lead to the VB.10, and the Latécoère 299A was a testbed for such a configuration.
In my opinion, Gen. Stehlin mentioned advanced fighter projects "like a D.520 but with tandem engines", and the author inferred that they were made by Dewoitine and based on the actual D.520. It seems impossible just to cram a second engine into a modified D.520.
Adrien

That sounds plausible, although I would not rule out completely, that such an idea was mentioned,
maybe after some glasses of red vine ...
The Hispano-Suiza 12Y engine was lighter and smaller, than the contemporary RR Merlin or DB 600 engines,
but to my opinion, it already had reached more or les the end of the road. So, instead of waiting for a newly
developed type, a tandem installation may have been a was an obvious idea. But the shift of the CG probably
would have been hard to compensate.

I share also doubts because it is the only testimonial of such a project. I guess cuny did not mentionned it because it is not confirmed by several sources. Nevertheless the idea is very attractive!!

Deltafan said:
Very very difficult...

I agree, IF that "conversion" would have taken place, the D.520 probably would have just been
a kind of pattern, heavily modified and not just fitted with a different engine.

Jemiba said:
Deltafan said:
Very very difficult...

I agree, IF that "conversion" would have taken place, the D.520 probably would have just been
a kind of pattern, heavily modified and not just fitted with a different engine.

Hello!
D-520 twin-engined as it was drawn is an attractive dream. Let us not forget that the Arsenal VG-10 with its Hispano-Suiza just a little more powerfull was a (poor !) percheron and not a (spirited) Mustang !
@+
Tonton

IF we are really talking about a real design and not just about a misunderstanding and
IF the tandem engined D.520 deriva´tive would have kept at least some resemblance to
its starting point, it probably would have been considerably lighter, than the VG-10.
A lot of premises, of course ...

Hard to think the cockpit wouldn't have been moved back to make this work, and maybe moving the nose a bit further forward to preserve CG.

Attachments

• D520cutway.jpg
    D520cutway.jpg
    334 KB · Views: 343
  • D.520 internal.jpg
    D.520 internal.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 300
  • ddddd.jpg
    ddddd.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 155
Jemiba said:
IF we are really talking about a real design and not just about a misunderstanding and
IF the tandem engined D.520 deriva´tive would have kept at least some resemblance to
its starting point, it probably would have been considerably lighter, than the VG-10.
Hello !

Another more realistic derivative is D-520 double commands for training made from single place fighter a little after WW II (some years ago in 80's, one of them did exist in pieces at Ferté Allai belonging to Mr Sallis).
A link is below for an attractive profile of one natural metal (with other Dewoitine, but may be you know ...).
http://www.traditions-air.fr/unit/avion/avionsdewoitine.htm

@+
Tonton

Or Gen. Stehlin's mention of advanced fighter projects "like a D.520 but with tandem engines" was concerning the pre-studies of the SNCAM M-580 ( two Hispano 12Z in tandem) which was modified during the war to become the SE-580 powered by a single Hispano 24Z engine..
The Dewoitine factories were, in 1937, nationalized and renamed SNCAM.

Source: Les avions de chasse français 1944-1960 volume 1, Jean Cuny, Docavia.

Attachments

• M580.JPG
    M580.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 107
  • SE 580.JPG
    SE 580.JPG
    97.7 KB · Views: 100
Last edited: